Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Mar 4, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,546 of 2,033
Yeah, I ordered two sets and got two pads instead of four. I’m less upset than the ones who received only one pad. Drop is saying this was on Focal’s end, but Drop is also at fault for not double checking what they received from Focal before shipping to us.
Good to know, as I also ordered 2 pairs. Will be yet another month for me to get them once they ship since they use that awful FedEx Smart post which takes a month to get to Hawaii. They could just put my box on a buoy in SF and it would float here more quickly. Hopefully they'll make it right and use a faster than carrier pigeon method for the fixed orders.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,547 of 2,033
I really hope your Periapt cables lasts for many years!
Would you believe that I just got my cable and it doesn't work? Although I got the cable with the 3.5mm connectors that the website indicates are compatible with Focal, the base of the connectors are too thick to be properly inserted in the Elex' connectors (which are somewhat recessed; the connector fits fine in other 3.5mm jacks that are not recessed). After attempting to insert the cable, I got some intermittent low level sound in the right channel, though none in the left, before the THX began making a clicking sound. I also tried it with the CTH, which briefly produced the same result before apparently activating the amp's protection circuit (the indicator light turned red, returning to white after I removed the cable). I've already emailed Periapt and await their response. BTW, anyone else used a Periapt cable with the Elex or Elear?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,548 of 2,033
Would you believe that I just got my cable and it doesn't work? Although I got the cable with the 3.5mm connectors that the website indicates are compatible with Focal, the connectors are too thick to be properly inserted in the Elex' connectors (which are somewhat recessed). After attempting to insert the cable, I got some intermittent low level sound in the right channel, though none in the left, before the THX began making a clicking sound. I also tried it with the CTH, which briefly produced the same result before apparently activating the amp's protection circuit (the indicator light turned red, returning to white after I removed the cable). I've already emailed Periapt and await their response. BTW, anyone else used a Periapt cable with the Elex or Elear?

So, your sleeve/barrel is too thick to fit in? It seems like a pretty huge opening. I had that problem with my Meze headphones (long, very narrow opening) and ended up buying a cable from Amazon that was optomized for Denon, I believe and had a thin barrel.

You do seem to be cursed!:dizzy_face:

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #1,550 of 2,033
I have been using these every day for two weeks. These things are amazing! They are everything I had hoped for, which is a rarity in life.:ksc75smile:
Barring any mechanical problems, these are a keeper. I think I now have a 1a and 1b, The Elex's and the Grado GH2's. I am one happy camper!!

These are ruthlessly revealing and the same goes for my SMSL SP200 amp. No A-B'ing yesterday. I just spent hours just listening to jazz, which is usually pretty "clean" music with no extra noise VS pop and rock. I have to say it was a Really sweet combination. Everything was so crystal clear. I had the amp in low gain at 10:00. Wow! The SP200 has not won me over totally and does not work well, IME, with all my music or all my headphones. But this combo was smokin' yesterday.

Today I was just going through my music alphabetically with my Burson Fun-Classic, which consists of a lot of rock. Not as crystal clear, due to the sources, but man it was good. Then near the end of my listening session, I ended up on James Heather, a pianist. I discovered this guy accidentally on iTunes. He had been listed under Alt. Rock. I never listen to classical so I never really hear music like this. It really is awesome. It is just as clean and clear on the Burson Fun-Classic as the jazz had sounded on the SP200 yesterday.

These headphones will certainly point out distortion, sibilance or ANY other noise more than most, but when the material is great the sound is amazing! It is by no means terrible with "lesser" music, but you will be aware of every flaw.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,551 of 2,033
So, your sleeve/barrel is too thick to fit in? It seems like a pretty huge opening. I had that problem with my Meze headphones (long, very narrow opening) and ended up buying a cable from Amazon that was optomized for Denon, I believe and had a thin barrel.
Yeah, the barrel is pretty thick. I'm hopeful that Periapt will be able to fix this (preferably) or at least refund my money. Their site states this cable is compatible with Focal without any caveat about models (no idea if the Clear or Utopia are different). The next time I need a cable (or if Periapt can't supply a compatible cable and gives me a refund) I'm going to try Hart Audio, an apparently new company I just discovered this week. They do modular cables (take a look at their website for an explanation if you're not familiar with this), which is a great idea if you have multiple headphones and/or amps, for prices even less than Periapt. I've seen their cables recommended on several sites. FWIW, the image of their 3.5mm cable looks like it has a thinner barrel (though that means nothing--I'd inquire first). But they did indicate clearly that the Meze requires a longer than standard variant of the 3.5mm connector (which they have), which indicates they may know their stuff.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,552 of 2,033
Yeah, the barrel is pretty thick. I'm hopeful that Periapt will be able to fix this (preferably) or at least refund my money.
Rean Neutrik NYS226BG Mono 3.5mm Mini Blk/Gold works with the Elex. I used this connector for a 4-pin XLR-terminated cable that I made and it worked fine with the Elex.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,553 of 2,033
I wanted to note that Periapt reponded to my problem quickly and graciously. They promptly built and sent me a new cable that I received today, along with a shipping label to return the other cable. The new cable works fine with the Elex.

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,554 of 2,033
I wanted to note that Periapt reponded to my problem quickly and graciously. They promptly built and sent me a new cable that I received today, along with a shipping label to return the other cable. The new cable works fine with the Elex.

Good to know. I was getting ready to order a cable for my Elex - I’ll be sure to note the model when I place my order. Thanks...

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,555 of 2,033
Hello dear Elex owners. My left channel cable connector has died. I have to decide what to do.
Tell me please, is it worth buying an upgrade cable over the original, or should I fix the original changing the connectors ?
If an upgrade cable is not a bad idea, which material is preferable to extend what's best about Elex?
I do highly appreciate Elex for their natural sound signature with all frequencies in place, especially midrange, I had brighter headphones but these are just spot on.
Should I go for OCC Copper, OCC SilverPlated Copper or even Pure Silver cables, or just fix the damaged connector and don't waste money on other cables ?
Please advice.
Please explain what particular benefits bring these cable types ? Is it worth spending 150$+ on a pure silver cable ?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,556 of 2,033
Hello dear Elex owners. My left channel cable connector has died. I have to decide what to do.
Tell me please, is it worth buying an upgrade cable over the original, or should I fix the original changing the connectors ?
If an upgrade cable is not a bad idea, which material is preferable to extend what's best about Elex?
I do highly appreciate Elex for their natural sound signature with all frequencies in place, especially midrange, I had brighter headphones but these are just spot on.
Should I go for OCC Copper, OCC SilverPlated Copper or even Pure Silver cables, or just fix the damaged connector and don't waste money on other cables ?
Please advice.
Please explain what particular benefits bring these cable types ? Is it worth spending 150$+ on a pure silver cable ?
Hello, I highly recommend Sky Audio Cables from eBay. The copper litz variety is great for the price, and it’s very high quality materials. Here is the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Hea...400i-Amiron-Focal-Elear-Sony-Z7-/173573510745
I personally don’t think silver cables make a difference, most cables are made with copper anyway. But it’s really a matter of preference. I’d say go with copper litz or OCC copper.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,557 of 2,033
Mar 28, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,558 of 2,033
Just ordered an Elear with the Utopia pads. I know they aren't exactly the same as the Elex and there is some debate on how similar or not similar they are. But I'm excited to be part of the Focal family.

Mar 28, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,559 of 2,033
Just ordered an Elear with the Utopia pads. I know they aren't exactly the same as the Elex and there is some debate on how similar or not similar they are. But I'm excited to be part of the Focal family.

Good luck! That price must have been close to the $600.00 of the Elex?

Mar 28, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,560 of 2,033
Good luck! That price must have been close to the $600.00 of the Elex?

$599 and I won't have to wait til September or later. Drop is now saying the Elex won't ship til the end of August. Headphones.com has them in stock. And this way I get the Elear pads and the Utopia pads. The frequency response of the Elear with the Utopia pads looks close enough to the Elex to me. It's all within a dB or 2. https://www.headphones.com/products/focal-elear-bundle-with-earpads-and-hard-shell-case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back