Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Mar 28, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,561 of 2,044
$599 and I won't have to wait til September or later. Drop is now saying the Elex won't ship til the end of August. Headphones.com has them in stock. And this way I get the Elear pads and the Utopia pads. The frequency response of the Elear with the Utopia pads looks close enough to the Elex to me. It's all within a dB or 2. https://www.headphones.com/products/focal-elear-bundle-with-earpads-and-hard-shell-case

I didn't know about the delay. I ordered mine several weeks ago and it shipped almost immediately.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,562 of 2,044
So I don't know if I really belong here, but I just received my Elear with the Utopia pads, the bundle on headphones.com with the extra pads and the case. They're supposed to measure very very closely to the Elex which are based off of the same headphone, otherwise I wouldn't post in here.

Anyway, these are great! As for the frequency response, they sound pretty close to how I have been EQ'ing my HD650 so that's a good thing for me. Otherwise these are in a whole different league than the HD650.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,563 of 2,044
You could also request the Elex pads from the next drop and be notified when that is by requesting.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #1,564 of 2,044
You could also request the Elex pads from the next drop and be notified when that is by requesting.

I actually have done that already. We'll see if they do a drop on them again. Right now they have a drop on Dekoni pads for Focal's, but I'm not interested in those.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,565 of 2,044
I actually have done that already. We'll see if they do a drop on them again. Right now they have a drop on Dekoni pads for Focal's, but I'm not interested in those.

It would be cool if you had local friends with Elex's to compare.

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,566 of 2,044
LOL. I wasn't interested in Dekoni pads neither. Well, till the last Elex pads' run ended in a refund after 4 month of waiting. I understand NA folks don't find the Dekoni drop appealing, but for us over the pond, the low shipping rates Drop offers makes a bigger difference in addition to the $20 bucks lower price of the pads. $84.36 VS $124.99.

NA folks may be interested in these tho: (Manufacturing Defect) Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Earpad Set for Focal $39.99

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,568 of 2,044
if i dont like the treble of dt 990 but am ok with it on the hd650 and lcd2 classics, and would not mind a bit more, just not dt 990 levels, would i like this iyo? i am looking for something that sounds just as good as my lcd2 classics or better in terms of quality but lighter in headphone weight and more comfort if possible

from my research so far the hd 800s is something i am considering, but if i can not afford that, theelex caught my attention from reading about it as well as the beyer t1

for my current set up i own the lcd2 classics with the magni 3 that came out before the heresy, and no dac, but i am planing on getting a dac soon

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listen to other non edm type also), media, to video games, and i sped the majority of my time playing video games as that is my biggest hobby

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #1,569 of 2,044
I have to wonder if the Elex pads will even be the same on newly shipped Elexes. The ones they sold are quite different than stock. Different height by a little (shorter) and obviously quite different foam inside. Some have commented that they don't sound the same. I didn't even try them. I wouldn't get the Elex again, knowing there is no way to get more of the same pads.

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,570 of 2,044
Apr 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,571 of 2,044
I have to wonder if the Elex pads will even be the same on newly shipped Elexes. The ones they sold are quite different than stock. Different height by a little (shorter) and obviously quite different foam inside. Some have commented that they don't sound the same. I didn't even try them. I wouldn't get the Elex again, knowing there is no way to get more of the same pads.

How often do you wear out earpads? I have never been close to wearing out a set.
Of course when I am working I only use headphones on weekends. And I have several pairs so I take turns.

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,572 of 2,044

Definitely a valid concern. Could always just get the Clear pads, but they cost $200.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,573 of 2,044
if i dont like the treble of dt 990 but am ok with it on the hd650 and lcd2 classics, and would not mind a bit more, just not dt 990 levels, would i like this iyo? i am looking for something that sounds just as good as my lcd2 classics or better in terms of quality but lighter in headphone weight and more comfort if possible

from my research so far the hd 800s is something i am considering, but if i can not afford that, theelex caught my attention from reading about it as well as the beyer t1

for my current set up i own the lcd2 classics with the magni 3 that came out before the heresy, and no dac, but i am planing on getting a dac soon

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listen to other non edm type also), media, to video games, and i sped the majority of my time playing video games as that is my biggest hobby

Never tried the DT990, but I had the DT880 for a while. I can definitely say the treble is much smoother and easier to listen to than the DT880. I'd say it's only a bit brighter than the 650, just with better air and extension. The 650 is one of my favorites, so I think you would really like the Elex. I haven't heard the LCD2, but others have said the Elex is brighter than the LCD series but with a more midrange focused sound signature, similar to the HD650. The 800S is another great choice, but they do still have some heightened treble that may be too bright for you without EQ.

The Elex does incredibly well with EDM and other bass centered genres, because you can really feel the physical impact thanks to those speaker-like drivers. The dynamics are just insane with them, much better than the HD650. I use the Elex for gaming often, they are very good for that as well.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,574 of 2,044
They are still quite heavy at 450 grams (15.9 oz), for both Elex and Elear. But otherwise comfort is great.

There is a deal for the Elex + Drop THX amp for $300 more (with Ether, hd6xx and others as well).

the amp alone is now $299 :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,575 of 2,044
... and just like that, the Elex is broken. The right side has gone intermittent, I'm guessing there was too much stress on the cable at one point. It's the socket, not the cable, I've tried it with Clear cables, and it's still intermittent.

Where do Drop products go for service? Should I contact Focal or Drop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back