Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,576 of 2,044
... and just like that, the Elex is broken. The right side has gone intermittent, I'm guessing there was too much stress on the cable at one point. It's the socket, not the cable, I've tried it with Clear cables, and it's still intermittent.

Where do Drop products go for service? Should I contact Focal or Drop?
Drop is pretty good at replacing the product, or likely offering a refund, if it is still under warranty; they replaced my entire Elex package twice when the stock XLR cable failed. (I turned down their offer of replacement or refund when it failed a third time; I gave up and bought one from Periapt, which is still working fine and is more pleasant to use than stock.) But they won't do any service or repairs on the Elex and I'm pretty sure Focal wants nothing to do with it.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,577 of 2,044
... and just like that, the Elex is broken. The right side has gone intermittent, I'm guessing there was too much stress on the cable at one point. It's the socket, not the cable, I've tried it with Clear cables, and it's still intermittent.

Where do Drop products go for service? Should I contact Focal or Drop?

Drop. They will replace it, if they have any, which I don't think they do. Next shipment is not until August.

You will probably get a refund. Drop doesn't repair anything.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,578 of 2,044
if i love the hd 650/6xx and lcd2 classics, and wouldt not mind a bit more treble but dont like the amount of treble in the dt 990, would the elex treble be ok for me iyo?

and would you say the elex has less treble then the hd 800 s?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,579 of 2,044
if i love the hd 650/6xx and lcd2 classics, and wouldt not mind a bit more treble but dont like the amount of treble in the dt 990, would the elex treble be ok for me iyo?

The Elex is truly a W shaped headphone. I have heard this expression many times over the years, but never really understood it until now.
There is lots of bass, lots of mids and lots of treble. Most headphones excel in one or more areas, but these do all three wonderfully.

I used to own the Beyer T5p.2's. To be at their best for long listening sessions, I would use my Schiit Loki to add a chunk of bass, a touch of mids and then chop off a chunk of treble. That to me was aural bliss! That exact sound is what I heard when I first put the Elex's on.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,580 of 2,044

Hey, check out my response to you in the previous page. I personally think the Elex has a perfect amount of treble, maybe a little more than the 650 but not nearly as sharp as the DT990.

Never tried the DT990, but I had the DT880 for a while. I can definitely say the treble is much smoother and easier to listen to than the DT880. I'd say it's only a bit brighter than the 650, just with better air and extension. The 650 is one of my favorites, so I think you would really like the Elex. I haven't heard the LCD2, but others have said the Elex is brighter than the LCD series but with a more midrange focused sound signature, similar to the HD650. The 800S is another great choice, but they do still have some heightened treble that may be too bright for you without EQ.

The Elex does incredibly well with EDM and other bass centered genres, because you can really feel the physical impact thanks to those speaker-like drivers. The dynamics are just insane with them, much better than the HD650. I use the Elex for gaming often, they are very good for that as well.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,581 of 2,044

I responded to you on Reddit, small world.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,582 of 2,044
I have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. I'm looking for something that gives a significant (pretty massive) step up in terms of bass slam. Like when kick drums hit I want to feel the physical slam of the sub-bass. I've heard that the Elex is the most 'dynamic' headphone of all. Can the Elex, with the extreme excursive potential of its driver, offer a huge uprgrade from the 1990 Pro in terms of bass and sub-bass slam?

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,584 of 2,044
Hi Everyone! Hope you are all staying safe! I don't know if this is right place for this post but looking for some guidance if possible. I picked up a Elex off ebay knowing the risks about no warranty. I now regret it as my left driver cuts in and out during even low volume levels, it happens with both cables so doubtful it's a cable issue. I have reached out to Mass and the response I got, while nice was basically you are out of luck. I was kinda shocked by this as what this says is after a year if you have a issue just toss them in garbage. Does anyone know of another place that would fix them? Is it possible for me to try? Although I own 10 pairs of really nice headphones these were becoming my favorites and don't want to toss them. Look forward to any help. Also thank you to the entire community, it's been a fun ride over last few years building my collection, would not be possible without everyone here.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #1,585 of 2,044
I saw a lot of such cases here. It seems it's not the driver usually, but the connector on the headphone side. If you can get the contact to break contact and reconnect by holding or moving the jack while it's connected to the headphone, it's probably just the jack acting up, and should be an easy and inexpensive fix.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,586 of 2,044
Hi Everyone! Hope you are all staying safe! I don't know if this is right place for this post but looking for some guidance if possible. I picked up a Elex off ebay knowing the risks about no warranty. I now regret it as my left driver cuts in and out during even low volume levels, it happens with both cables so doubtful it's a cable issue. I have reached out to Mass and the response I got, while nice was basically you are out of luck. I was kinda shocked by this as what this says is after a year if you have a issue just toss them in garbage. Does anyone know of another place that would fix them? Is it possible for me to try? Although I own 10 pairs of really nice headphones these were becoming my favorites and don't want to toss them. Look forward to any help. Also thank you to the entire community, it's been a fun ride over last few years building my collection, would not be possible without everyone here.

Maybe you could contact Focal directly and ask about after warranty service for a fee? It wouldn't be cheap though. Freight to France and return, plus parts and labour.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,587 of 2,044

There's one guy in headfi group from Indonesia that specialty also fix the elex, he also fix another focal as well, his name is Adi Hermansyah, if focal refused you to fix it, maybe you can contact him, if you interesting let me know, i know this guy, i can let him know to contact you, also he fix hifiman too and several audeze as well basically he can fix planar and dynamic cans as far as i know

If you joined headfi group on Facebook, you can look upon his works as well just search his name, see for youself first, goodluck

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,588 of 2,044
Over time. I've had them for, I dunno, 6, 9 months, and they've been running fine. They failed last Saturday while I was listening to some music, not particularly loudly.
Hi, any updates from Drop about this? My Elex's right side died today suddenly. No sound despite changing cables and sources. Can't be sure if it's the driver or cable connector. This is after 5 months and less than 20 hours of usage. Sent them an email but would like to know what happened on your end. Replacement or refund?

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #1,589 of 2,044
Focal must've made the Elex in batches, the most recent batch seems to be giving buyers a lot of issues and defects.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,590 of 2,044
Focal must've made the Elex in batches, the most recent batch seems to be giving buyers a lot of issues and defects.

Wondering if they are made from refurbs or use lesser quality parts or something. Seems to be too many failures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back