Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #826 of 2,033
if why so serious at 3:30 is the only song you've heard clipping on i wouldn't stress, nor if it happens on any music with a lot of bass below 50hz, call it a design flaw or a ingenious decision by focal but to the dismay of people who read that the elex goes down allegedly to 5hz, these are not bass cans and aren't mean to play music with extreme amounts of bass, as i've said before think of these more like a speaker with stupidly great extension, honestly don't know why they pushed it so low most subs don't even reach down to 5hz.

Thanks this was helpful.

May 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #829 of 2,033
I think several people in this thread have an R2R 11 or Massdrop CTH, so this might be useful to someone:

Elex and R2R 11, Low Gain. Why So Serious? streaming on Apple Music on a Mac mini connected via USB
- typical listening: volume pot at 8:45
- Why So Serious? driver clipping @ 3:32: volume pot at or greater than 2:00

Elex and CTH+SDAC. Why So Serious? streaming on Apple Music on a Mac mini connected via USB
(my CTH+SDAC volume pot has no markings, so assume lowest volume setting is 7:00)
- typical listening: volume pot at 8:30 - 8:45
- Why So Serious? driver clipping @ 3:32: volume pot at or greater than 1:30

Methodology: I listened to Why So Serious? from 3:29 to 3:40 several times, incrementally increasing the volume until I heard clipping. I don't have a sound meter, and as someone previously noted, a proper setup is needed to accurately measure the sound level.

Edit:
To clarify, I think my Elex is fine and driver clipping happens at volume levels well into hearing damage territory. The purpose of my post is to give anyone with an Elex and an R2R 11 or MCTH a data point.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #831 of 2,033
Here's Audacity Waveform of the "Why so Serious?" soundtrack. Red are the points in the track when the transient is over-saturated or at the threshold of Audacity considering as the clipping points.

wss.jpg

Attachments

• wss.jpg
    wss.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #832 of 2,033
Here's Audacity Waveform of the "Why so Serious?" soundtrack. Red are the points in the track when the transient is over-saturated or at the threshold of Audacity considering as the clipping points.

This track is so extreme it’s hardly fair to use it as a test for any hesdphone. It’s a track designed purely for cinema-grade subwoofers.

May 20, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #833 of 2,033
I don't want to down play people's concerns but I've thrown tons of different music at the Elex and at higher volumes (during the break in period) with absolutely no issues. Now I listen to music that may not contain the frequencies that are bothering others with the Elex. I listen to rock and jazz for the most part and these headphones are worth every penny and them some with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Led Zep and Marvin Gaye.
I have found something odd in so much as the Elex really favors vinyl on my system. Records sounds so much more vivid and cds on my Sony 5400 sounds congested upon comparison. This was not true with the HD800s.
Overall I consider the Elex a keeper and a home run for Focal. The bass texture and resolution is top notch, it is very detailed without being overly bright, I would like a a bit more midrange though.

May 20, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #834 of 2,033
This track is so extreme it’s hardly fair to use it as a test for any hesdphone. It’s a track designed purely for cinema-grade subwoofers.
Perhaps that is why I thought DTS sounded better than Dolby Digital back in the days although DTS file size was much greater. This was back when I was into home cinema, and I had a shortlist of DVDs I loved whatching for the sound, and the DTS version of Saving Privat Ryan Omaha Beach scene was one of them(This has got to be one of the most well imagined vision, I can watch it over and over again since it's perfect). And then I got into 2 channel. :/

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #835 of 2,033
Perhaps that is why I thought DTS sounded better than Dolby Digital back in the days although DTS file size was much greater. This was back when I was into home cinema, and I had a shortlist of DVDs I loved whatching for the sound, and the DTS version of Saving Privat Ryan Omaha Beach scene was one of them(This has got to be one of the most well imagined vision, I can watch it over and over again since it's perfect). And then I got into 2 channel. :/
I so clearly remember the DTS vs Dolby days. Still have a decent home cinema system going, though not too fussed which format I play today as they're all so good. DTS always seemed to have an extra dollop of sub bass, which you're right, partly explains the file size. To expect 40mm dynamic drivers to faithfully reproduce the depth of sub bass in that track is simply unrealistic. The Elex/Elear still do bass better than most dynamic cans.

May 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #836 of 2,033

I agree with this. I still think it's strange that my Bose headphones can play this track at max volume to the point where it is painful and not clip. The Bose reverberate the sound really well; it sounds similar to dropping one of the rear windows while driving on the freeway. One explanation could be that the track has frequencies so low that I can't hear and that the Bose doesn't even try to reproduce anyway (effectively a filter at very low frequencies), while the Elex tries to reproduce those frequencies and fails, resulting in the popping sound. That's just a theory and could be total BS, but if it is I could easily put a low-frequency EQ filter as someone mentioned and enjoy the Elex more than my Bose. Just a thought but someone with more experience could either confirm or debunk this.

May 21, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #837 of 2,033
TLDR, no warranty issues, good comfort, sound better than my hd650s in pretty much every case. full review below.

The day of reckoning is here, I have finally received my elex, now my very first reaction was quite a shock, i have read many other reviews and what people were saying about them, some claimed were a perfect upgrade to the hd650, some said the hd600 some said they were disappointed because it sounded nothing like them.
My surprise was how shockingly familiar they were, they definitely sound similar to a hd650 in terms of frequency response now there is still burn to be done and more genres of music to cover. But i honestly don't find them any much brighter than the hd650, the simplest way i could use to describe them would be hd650 without the veil and better extension, kind of what i was hoping for.
Now nothing is perfect and i will take a few points off, for starters it is heavier than the hd650 and not as comfortable, but no so much that it is unbearable, i just find the hd650 more comfortable (could be that im just used to them). more time might change my opinion.
it has equal detail to the hd650 but provides it without the veil, AT LAST a headphone that can play metal with detail without being congested/bright/piercing/fatiguing. Although due to the nature of metal and how it is recorded, Poor quality metal recordings might be noticeable, things like high hats and cymbals can sound a little artificial (only on poor recordings).
"sounds metallic" debunked I'm not sure what they are listening to but nothing about these is metallic at least to me, now the sound stage is much different to the hd650 in terms of width/size and it is definitely presented differently, most headphones seem to have the same soundstage no matter what you are listening to. but with these, things that are meant to sound wide and big do, but things that aren't don't, basically a dynamic soundstage size that alters depending on the music you are listening to. often sounding 3D holographic.
The "clipping" issue, I tried every song i could even bass boosted ones and played them at the normal volume i listen to music, no clipping or any weird sounds so i raised the volume it took almost max output of my CTH amp before i heard clipping. That is a massive headroom for starters its was already pushing out more bass and much more audible lower bass than my hd650s at my normal listening volume and i still managed to double or maybe even triple the perceived volume level without clipping. maybe i lucked out but its a non issue for me.
I could write a 2000 word essay here but at least for now to finish off ill say, these are the best headphones i've ever owned and i have listened to the LCD2c, LCDx, dt1990, hd800, HE-4xx, Q712, Q812, SRH 1540 to name a few and not one of them gave me the enjoyment out of music these do. If i ever get the desire to buy better headphones i'll be looking at the focal clears and focal utopia.
cheers.

May 21, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #838 of 2,033
Got mine last week. I'm from outside of the shipping countries, so it took some time to reach me using forwarding service. Have been using it for a few days, and here are some of my thoughts.

Used to own a pair of HD600, and by comparing the both of them, Elex excels in most area, it reveals much more detail and the overall resolution is definitely better.
The first time I put on the Elex, it sounds slightly sibilant to me, might be due to the 6k peak. I find that different positioning helps a little in this case, the best position I've found is to move the headphone forward and let the back of your ears almost touching the back of the inner ear cup. YMMV.

Overall, Elex is a great pair of headphone and is definitely a keeper for me. I have compare it to Sundara, LCD2C, Elear and HE400i at a local headphone store and I prefer Elex over these.
First of all this is just my personal preference and opinion, I kind of find the Elex in between these headphones. To me, the Sundara and HE400i are too bright and the LCD2C is a bit too dark and too heavy (the headphone itself). Well, as for the Elear, it does have that upper mid suck out which I think the Elex kinda fix it.
The Elex might not have better bass compares to some of these headphones, but the Focals probably have the better bass for dynamic drivers. The Elex mid bass can be on the lighter side but the sub bass does extends much more compares to the HD600.
Elex does sound like HD600 with a better bass response, but don't expect it to sound exactly like HD600 with better bass response as these 2 are totally different headphones from different manufacturer. They are largely different in treble response where I find the HD600 to have a smoother treble.
Midrange sounds good to me with occasionally the upper mid in some song sounds a little sibilant to me. Elex is definitely not the most balance sounding headphone, but it does sound nicest to me among the choices that I have at this price range unless I want to spend more.

Comfort wise it is okay I guess. I do think the HD600 is much more comfortable mainly due to lighter weight. Comparing to LCD2C which is of similar weight, the Elex is definitely the more comfortable one.
As for build quality, I think they are great, feels solid in the hand and looks premium. And I didn't find any creaking sound or anything on the headband as others have reported, which is great for me I guess.

And finally, it seems like there are a few posts here where some of the Elex owners experience some clipping on the drivers. So, I did some testing on my own. I tried playing "Why so serious?" @ 3:30 mark on Spotify and there was no clipping for me at normal listening level. I did crank up the volume afterwards and still no clipping for me, and this is at a volume that I won't be listening at normally.
Unfortunately, I don't have a proper sound level meter to measure at what db I'm listening at. It is very unfortunate for those who had encounter this issue and I hope you all get this sorted out soon as I think these are a great pair of headphones.

May 21, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #839 of 2,033
Just a comment on the clipping/crackling noise. My Utopia didn't exhibit this behaviour when I first purchased it. Over about three months, it continued to happen at a lower and lower SPL. I listen to music with a lot of bass and sub bass sometimes (weird electronica) so its important to me for a headphone to be able to play these frequencies at a loudish volume. I listen quietly during the day and louder at night when I can just focus on the music.

I would still own the Utopia had this issue not happened. I have not experienced it with any other headphone, distortion sure due to a lack of power or whatever, but not the clipping loud CRACK that you get with the Focal headphones. The fact that it didn't happen when I first owned the headphones, and slowly got worse and worse makes me think that Focal is covering their ass over a design fault that is present on ALL their headphones. Maybe the driver surround slowly stretches over time and gets looser and looser, letting the driver clip more easily? Thats just a guess on my part, I really have no idea.

All in all, very disappointing to see that Focals answer is "Listen Quieter." If your headphones can't rock out at high(ish) volumes with bass-y music, then for some people, what is the point?

May 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #840 of 2,033
Just a comment on the clipping/crackling noise. My Utopia didn't exhibit this behaviour when I first purchased it. Over about three months, it continued to happen at a lower and lower SPL. I listen to music with a lot of bass and sub bass sometimes (weird electronica) so its important to me for a headphone to be able to play these frequencies at a loudish volume. I listen quietly during the day and louder at night when I can just focus on the music.

I would still own the Utopia had this issue not happened. I have not experienced it with any other headphone, distortion sure due to a lack of power or whatever, but not the clipping loud CRACK that you get with the Focal headphones. The fact that it didn't happen when I first owned the headphones, and slowly got worse and worse makes me think that Focal is covering their ass over a design fault that is present on ALL their headphones. Maybe the driver surround slowly stretches over time and gets looser and looser, letting the driver clip more easily? Thats just a guess on my part, I really have no idea.

All in all, very disappointing to see that Focals answer is "Listen Quieter." If your headphones can't rock out at high(ish) volumes with bass-y music, then for some people, what is the point?

FWIW, the clipping is an intentional design aspect, the issue seems to be the varying SPL levels at which different sets clip.

Clip too low? Send em back until you get a pair that can handle 90dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back