Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 21, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #856 of 2,030
As far as brightness Utopia > Clear > Elex. It makes sense that people who swear by the 650s find them bright because the 650 is stupidly dark. Compared to a more even treble pair of cans the Elex never felt too bright to me. They're certainly not as bright as the Utopias & aren't as bright as the Clear either.

edit af fam: Forgot to add that I am treble sensitive & that's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of the Utopia.
That order is what I'd expect, but the impressions doesn't match.

Also, I'm wondering how consistent Focal drivers are in frequency response. I have not seen several same Focal cans measured for consistency. For Sennheisers I do see consistency even with different measurement rigs, but with Focals, I don't know...

May 21, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #857 of 2,030
That order is what I'd expect, but the impressions doesn't match.

Also, I'm wondering how consistent Focal drivers are in frequency response. I have not seen several same Focal cans measured for consistency. For Sennheisers I do see consistency even with different measurement rigs, but with Focals, I don't know...
I don't think it's inconsistent drivers you just have to ask the people who are giving their impressions what their context is because again, if they're coming from a dark headphone like the 650 most other cans are going to be bright to them. That other headphone board that I can't name has a couple different people measuring the Clear IIRC. If not they might have a couple for the Utopia & Elear. I know I saw a few on the Elex so check those out.

May 22, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #861 of 2,030
Man, there seems to be mix opinions on the brightness level of these. I just read the first page, and also the recent slew of impressions I'm hearing it's bright? One I read states brighter than Utopia? I hope not.

And another I read that Clear is bright, but Elex is not. I didn't think Clear was bright. I personally think Utopia is on the bright side in comparison.

So, for those that have the Elex, how do you find the level of the treble? Can you provide a reference as a background so we can have an idea of where you are coming from? Like for example, you find them bright, and you're regular go to was HD650, and you find the HD650 treble just about right. Or you find Utopia bright, and this Elex brighter, etc.. Also, if you have an idea of what part of the treble spectrum you are most sensitive to, that would be informative. Like for example, you find 3.5k peak annoying, or 5k, but 6-7k doesn't bother you, or conversely.

I like a warm sound signature - e.g. I preferred the Sundara over the HE 560 which had too much treble for my taste. I am really enjoying the sound of the Elex and do not consider them too bright at all. While I feel that the Elex is brighter than than my HD 6XX, I agree with the post above, in that it feels like clarity (and sparkle) has been added to the HD 6XX. The soundstage is also a lot wider on the Elex.

You commented in the Sundara and Cascade threads, do you still have them? I haven't A/B'd against them yet, but I'm linking the sound of the Elex more at the moment and have been listening to them exclusively since I received them. I feel the Elex has a richer sound than the Sundara because of a slightly elevated treble, increased and deeper bass, and more mid-range presence (...don't hold me to the mid-range comment because I need to A/B).

May 22, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #862 of 2,030
Man, there seems to be mix opinions on the brightness level of these. I just read the first page, and also the recent slew of impressions I'm hearing it's bright? One I read states brighter than Utopia? I hope not.

And another I read that Clear is bright, but Elex is not. I didn't think Clear was bright. I personally think Utopia is on the bright side in comparison.

So, for those that have the Elex, how do you find the level of the treble? Can you provide a reference as a background so we can have an idea of where you are coming from? Like for example, you find them bright, and you're regular go to was HD650, and you find the HD650 treble just about right. Or you find Utopia bright, and this Elex brighter, etc.. Also, if you have an idea of what part of the treble spectrum you are most sensitive to, that would be informative. Like for example, you find 3.5k peak annoying, or 5k, but 6-7k doesn't bother you, or conversely.

I do find the Elex to be brighter compares to HD600/HD650. Both the HD600 and HD650 are definitely smoother in treble response while the HD650 is more laid back. In some selected track, I do find the 6k peak causing slight sibilant. But it doesn't bother me that much, it's still very listenable. Hope that helps.

May 22, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #863 of 2,030
You don't have proof that his didn't degrade either. If he says it got worse then it got worse. I don't know why he'd make that up.

I never said his wasn't or he was making it up, but you seem to be on the band wagon of disliking the elex based off the negative reviews, my point was one person experiencing issues doesn't mean its a wide spread common issue, could be just his particular pair degraded overtime,

May 22, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #864 of 2,030
I do find the Elex to be brighter compares to HD600/HD650. Both the HD600 and HD650 are definitely smoother in treble response while the HD650 is more laid back. In some selected track, I do find the 6k peak causing slight sibilant. But it doesn't bother me that much, it's still very listenable. Hope that helps.

I find the hd650 slightly smoother than the elex but at the cost of having a slight veil, I don't find the hd600 smoother at all, the peak at 3k made it quite grating to me. both the hd600 and hd650 can suffer from having a somewhat thick sound to it as well. and honestly any sibilance the elex might have will probably smooth out after burn in.

May 22, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #865 of 2,030
I find the hd650 slightly smoother than the elex but at the cost of having a slight veil, I don't find the hd600 smoother at all, the peak at 3k made it quite grating to me. both the hd600 and hd650 can suffer from having a somewhat thick sound to it as well. and honestly any sibilance the elex might have will probably smooth out after burn in.
I do find that by moving the headphone forward will help reducing the sibilance that I felt. Maybe as you mentioned, burn in might smooth it out.

May 22, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #867 of 2,030
As one who did not get in on the drop I am feeling a bit of remorse for hesitating as the comments and reviews are definitely piquing my interest to me. 2 questions:

1. Is there any information about likelihood and timing of another drop for the Elex?
2. Audeze LCD-2 is within $200 of the Elex price on many sites. Has anyone heard both to offer comparisons?

Thanks!

May 22, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #869 of 2,030
As one who did not get in on the drop I am feeling a bit of remorse for hesitating as the comments and reviews are definitely piquing my interest to me. 2 questions:

1. Is there any information about likelihood and timing of another drop for the Elex?
2. Audeze LCD-2 is within $200 of the Elex price on many sites. Has anyone heard both to offer comparisons?

Thanks!

i've heard both, lcd2 is like the hd650 as well with more extension, but even less treble so its even more relaxed, and its dynamics come across softer than the elex, i'll also add elex doesn't seem to like the massdrop CTH much, it sounds much more natural and normal on my O2 sdac, tighter bass, less air, more mids etc

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #870 of 2,030
I do find some on Shania Twain - You've got a way. It's not that bad until it's unbearable. I would say it's much worse on the Sundara and HE400i.

try using a different amp, i found them to be a little gear picky, funnily enough even though i didn't at first think they sounded much better than my hd650s trying to go back to hd650s now its like wow these sounds so dull and lifeless now What.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back