Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Sep 22, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #1,816 of 2,030
Sep 22, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,817 of 2,030
Sep 22, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,818 of 2,030
Have the elex and it pairs great with the Rebel Amp. ( excellent punch richness and dynamics)I also have the singxer and love it but not with the Elex. Very smooth with the singxer but loses all the dynamics and pushes the mids too far back. Also punch is very much diminished.
I agree that the Elex sounds best with a good class A amp. My Aune X7s makes it sing like no other. As a DAC, I use the Soundblaster G6 in direct mode with everything to DSD from the source, for the absolute best dynamic range and, oh boy, it does deliver!

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,820 of 2,030
I traded for that so that I could downsize the collection. Just like I always told you. :smile:
😏 I know that ruse: shrink the amp collection while stretching the headphone collection 🤣:
2F176302-A694-4AA8-BF1D-BC22DC040A04.jpeg

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #1,821 of 2,030
😏 I know that ruse: shrink the amp collection while stretching the headphone collection 🤣:2F176302-A694-4AA8-BF1D-BC22DC040A04.jpeg
Two headphones gone and two more up for sale. Only keeping two closed backs. Now I am on to the open backs.

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,822 of 2,030
Two headphones gone and two more up for sale. Only keeping two closed backs. Now I am on to the open backs.
☑️ Just don’t sell all your power cords…😳

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #1,823 of 2,030
ZMF is now offering their lambskin pads for the Elex (and the other open backs). I have a set arriving tomorrow. I'm curious as to how it will affect the sound signature.
Any update on this? Was looking at getting a pair of those pads myself. Love to know what you think.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #1,824 of 2,030
Any update on this? Was looking at getting a pair of those pads myself. Love to know what you think.
I've been quite happy with the new pads. They're typical high quality leather pads you'd expect from ZMF and they come with the adapter preinstalled so you can just snap them on in place of the stock pads. They're very comfortable and look like they belong on the Elex. If you didn't tell someone unfamiliar with the headphone that they aren't the stock pads, they'd never know.

As far as sound signature, they add some hard hitting mid-bass punch (be prepared), and tighten up the bass in general They take away the kind of metallic sounding upper mid edge that I was never fond of with the stock suede pads. Don't know how to describe that original sound except to say that it always sounded a bit off.

Nothing drastic, as you probably expected, but it did make them more enjoyable for me to listen to.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,825 of 2,030
I've been quite happy with the new pads. They're typical high quality leather pads you'd expect from ZMF and they come with the adapter preinstalled so you can just snap them on in place of the stock pads. They're very comfortable and look like they belong on the Elex. If you didn't tell someone unfamiliar with the headphone that they aren't the stock pads, they'd never know.

As far as sound signature, they add some hard hitting mid-bass punch (be prepared), and tighten up the bass in general They take away the kind of metallic sounding upper mid edge that I was never fond of with the stock suede pads. Don't know how to describe that original sound except to say that it always sounded a bit off.

Nothing drastic, as you probably expected, but it did make them more enjoyable for me to listen to.
Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be picking up a pair. Based on your assessment it seems like they're right up my alley as long as the comfort is there!

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,826 of 2,030

Can anyone chime in on Dakoni's fenstrated leather version of these pads? Are the Zmf version better?

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #1,827 of 2,030
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,828 of 2,030
Maybe I just usually listen quieter than most people, but I really feel that these don’t do anything special at low volumes, but become kind of special when you turn up the power and listen at a higher volume. Every other headphone I use I definitely listen at a lower volume.

Or is it just me?

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,829 of 2,030
Maybe I just usually listen quieter than most people, but I really feel that these don’t do anything special at low volumes, but become kind of special when you turn up the power and listen at a higher volume. Every other headphone I use I definitely listen at a lower volume.

Or is it just me?
I LOVE them and I am a very quiet listener. My volumes peak at 71-73Db's and about 95% of my listening is in the 60-69DB range with a little bit dipping into the 50's.
My ears really don't like anything above 75Db's at all.

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,830 of 2,030
I LOVE them and I am a very quiet listener. My volumes peak at 71-73Db's and about 95% of my listening is in the 60-69DB range with a little bit dipping into the 50's.
My ears really don't like anything above 75Db's at all.

It’s tough for me to say exactly, but I usually listen in the 65-70dB area when I listen to my AirPods Pro or AirPods Max according to Apples measurements. I know when I use my ER4SR I feel like I’m listening in the same 65-70ish dB area. When I use my Elear with Clear pads I feel like they really only sound good above what I’m going to guess is 75ish dB. 75dB still isn’t that high and will never cause damage to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back