Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 6, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,846 of 2,030
Are there any good alternatives for new Elex pads? The Dekoni Velour are comfy enough but the sound isn't quite as good as with Elex/Clear pads.
I've been using mine with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads for some time and I think they sound exquisite with these pads on

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,847 of 2,030
Are there any good alternatives for new Elex pads? The Dekoni Velour are comfy enough but the sound isn't quite as good as with Elex/Clear pads.
I wonder how the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin would sound? I have no idea, personally.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #1,849 of 2,030
Dekoni fenestrated sound awesome on elex. They increase the bass/slam. In my opinion it's what they should come with from the start. They're also more comfortable IMO.
On a related note, I have used those Dekonis on Focal Clear OG for > 2-1/2 years. Sound: just as you say + airy midrange/treble + wider soundstage. Easy to clean 😀 !!

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #1,850 of 2,030
On a related note, I have used those Dekonis on Focal Clear OG for > 2-1/2 years. Sound: just as you say + airy midrange/treble + wider soundstage. Easy to clean 😀 !!
Does it affect the bass? Do you lose anything from stock?

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #1,851 of 2,030
You lose a tiny bit up top, the suede material is better at accentuating the treble.

Its a trade off, you get alot more hardhitting bass and richer mids but lose a small bit of resolution and articulation in the higher frequencies.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,852 of 2,030
They sounded awesome earlier today on a nice little WA6SE that some guy sold me for a deal with a Sophia princess and a pair of Sylvania 13DE7s :sunglasses:

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,853 of 2,030
To me, the bass is extended and more linear. Further up the frequency spectrum, I feel that nothing is lost but more air / wider soundstage is had.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #1,854 of 2,030
I've been using mine with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads for some time and I think they sound exquisite with these pads on
Do they retain the airy soundstage? The velour I find narrowed it down and even made some frequencies sound distorted

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #1,855 of 2,030
Do they retain the airy soundstage? The velour I find narrowed it down and even made some frequencies sound distorted
Probably because the velour are more absorptive than the sheepskin and are not fenestrated (perforated).

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,856 of 2,030
Probably because the velour are more absorptive than the sheepskin and are not fenestrated (perforated).
Yes that makes sense.

I'm planning on picking up the Elegia and think the velour could be more suitable as a spare pad for them as they're closed and stock pads are also cloth.

I'm going to try the cheap fenestrated cloth pads from China before going with sheepskin. I love the Elex sound so much I wish focal sold spare parts so I could keep the stock sound forever.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,857 of 2,030
Yes that makes sense.

I'm planning on picking up the Elegia and think the velour could be more suitable as a spare pad for them as they're closed and stock pads are also cloth.

I'm going to try the cheap fenestrated cloth pads from China before going with sheepskin. I love the Elex sound so much I wish focal sold spare parts so I could keep the stock sound forever.
Do they retain the airy soundstage? The velour I find narrowed it down and even made some frequencies sound
The velour definitely were inferior with the elex. Totally deadened the sound. Zero sparkle. But more concerning was the fact that the plastic ring on one of the pads was not evenly centered and the left right balance was impacted.

Nov 7, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,858 of 2,030
Yes that makes sense.

Drop sells the stock focal branded elex pads. Go on their site and look under headphone accessories. They're on back order but they will come back in stock at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back