Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,786 of 2,030
Not gonna lie mine clipped loud enough to wake me up (on my head) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was vaguely audible from a couple feet since if it's actually a mechanical contact that I understood it to be?
I've never experienced clipping that loud to be honest. That is unusual if its that loud. That sounds more like the type of clipping where its getting too much power.

The clipping I'm referring sounds more like distortion where the driver doesn't seem to be getting enough power.

Are you using EQ?

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,787 of 2,030
I've never experienced clipping that loud to be honest. That is unusual if its that loud. That sounds more like the type of clipping where its getting too much power.

The clipping I'm referring sounds more like distortion where the driver doesn't seem to be getting enough power.

Are you using EQ?
It does it both with and without EQ. The only EQ settings I have used is oratory1990 Harman curve. I'm using the monolith THX AAA 887 on low gain. I have to turn the preamp down -6 on default and -11 on the Harman curve setting to stop it from clipping.

Mine sounds like a rattle like when a speaker over extends. It doesn't sound like a sound distortion it sound like a mechanical over extension.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,788 of 2,030
It does it both with and without EQ. The only EQ settings I have used is oratory1990 Harman curve. I'm using the monolith THX AAA 887 on low gain. I have to turn the preamp down -6 on default and -11 on the Harman curve setting to stop it from clipping.

Mine sounds like a rattle like when a speaker over extends. It doesn't sound like a sound distortion it sound like a mechanical over extension.
WIth classical track or without sub bass on certain frequency they didnot clipping, the solution only to lower volume, that's why i mostly used my elear for listening at moderate/low volume level

Clear and Clear MG also have the same problem (sold clear already and kept elear because of this issue, i audition clear MG at shop and they produce clipping too especially on infamous "2049" blade runner soundtrack definitely can clipped them on loud volume), i loved focal house sound and especially their build quality compare other brand, i just kept elear and that's it, no more interesting open back focal for me until they can fix it, hope stil they can be fixed it somehow...

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,789 of 2,030

Thats interesting, if it sounds like over extension than its probably getting too much power, or it cannot handle the power load.

When I had the elex, I pushed them pretty hard to see if could get them to clip but it wouldn't clip. I think I had them on volume 70 of my audio-gd m19 amp at high gain, which is enough to drive the he6se at moderate volume. I don't use EQ.

WIth classical track or without sub bass on certain frequency they didnot clipping, the solution only to lower volume, that's why i mostly used my elear for listening at moderate/low volume level

Clear and Clear MG also have the same problem (sold clear already and kept elear because of this issue, i audition clear MG at shop and they produce clipping too especially on infamous "2049" blade runner soundtrack definitely can clipped them on loud volume), i loved focal house sound and especially their build quality compare other brand, i just kept elear and that's it, no more interesting open back focal for me until they can fix it, hope stil they can be fixed it somehow...
Can you point out which song on that bladerunner soundtrack? I'd like to test it, thanks.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,790 of 2,030

Yes they sound terrific at lower volume and don't clip but I can't accept that a $750 headphone can't handle what a $350 sennhesier can... or even my $150 HD58X can take more power with no issue.

I just can't justify that price to only be able to use them to listen at low volumes. I like to be able to jam out at higher volumes sometimes. I listen to mostly metal, rock, EDM/dubstep so these are typically bassy genres.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,791 of 2,030
Yes they sound terrific at lower volume and don't clip but I can't accept that a $750 headphone can't handle what a $350 sennhesier can... or even my $150 HD58X can take more power with no issue.

I just can't justify that price to only be able to use them to listen at low volumes. I like to be able to jam out at higher volumes sometimes. I listen to mostly metal, rock, EDM/dubstep so these are typically bassy genres.
Mine have never clipped at any volume level at which I would actually listen to music unless the bass is eq'ed up substantially, but that doesn't mean they won't. I certainly wouldn't blame you for not wanting to own a headphone that won't do what you want it to and/or that you can't rely on. I would never own another Focal, and wouldn't have bought the elex if it hadnt been used and cheap, because of reports from others. Not a fan of the company, but love the way they sound.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,792 of 2,030
Thats interesting, if it sounds like over extension than its probably getting too much power, or it cannot handle the power load.

When I had the elex, I pushed them pretty hard to see if could get them to clip but it wouldn't clip. I think I had them on volume 70 of my audio-gd m19 amp at high gain, which is enough to drive the he6se at moderate volume. I don't use EQ.

Can you point out which song on that bladerunner soundtrack? I'd like to test it, thanks.
So obvious for me in the beginning of the track until 40 second mark and in high volume level, i tested it on my ifi idsd signature past 1 a'clock or above on normal gain definitely got clipped, maybe certain amp clipped on different level as well, turn on bass bost on signature will make it worst as well

For this track i can only listen at 11am max to be safe from clipping, in other hand, the other track like classical song, i definitely sure dont have a problem even past 1 a'clock

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_025941.jpg
    IMG_20220703_025941.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,793 of 2,030
So obvious for me in the beginning of the track until 40 second mark and in high volume level, i tested it on my ifi idsd signature past 1 a'clock or above on normal gain definitely got clipped, maybe certain amp clipped on different level as well, turn on bass bost on signature will make it worst as well

For this track i can only listen at 11am max to be safe from clipping, in other hand, the other track like classical song, i definitely sure dont have a problem even past 1 a'clock
Should have let it play a second or two before cranking it up haha. Gotta love that Hans Zimmer sub bass.

It seems ok to me on my clears, not getting any distortion. No EQ.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,794 of 2,030

holy crap i had mine at 1 oclock low gain which is just over half volume when that song started and it clipped from 1 second in. in contrast i was just able to get my HD650 to clip at 80% volume on gain level 2. pretty big disparity there.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #1,795 of 2,030
holy crap i had mine at 1 oclock low gain which is just over half volume when that song started and it clipped from 1 second in. in contrast i was just able to get my HD650 to clip at 80% volume on gain level 2. pretty big disparity there.
Thats interesting. I'm not getting any kind of distortion or clipping.

I wonder how many others are experiencing this.

This is the link if anyone wants to test it out as well.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #1,796 of 2,030
Thats interesting. I'm not getting any kind of distortion or clipping.

I wonder how many others are experiencing this.

This is the link if anyone wants to test it out as well.

No clipping for me on that piece. I have tried the MQA version from Tidal.
Player: Audirvana Studio. DAC: Audirect Atom2 preamp: xDuoo MT-601 amp: Aune X7s 2021.
Elex used with its balanced cable

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,797 of 2,030
as fantastic as these sound i think im going to return them and either buy some clear OG while theyre still available for 890 or just simply wait until i can afford utopias. i was listening to lindsey sterling last night and i was getting occasional random clips just listening normally. i really think these are just a problematic set.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,798 of 2,030
This is deja vu. This issue was discussed at length in this thread, and in other forums, three or four years ago when the Elex was new. Focal conceded that the Elex driver is intentionally designed to physically clip but only at extreme volume; I forget the exact number, but it's well north of 100 dBs. However, it is clear that many sets, though clearly not all, clipped at substantially lower volume. My impression is that Focal quality control--at least on the Elex, which is probably not a priority for them--in a word, stinks. In under a year, I had three (as in one! two! three!) stock XLR cables die in one channel even though they were carefully treated and never left my apartment. I returned the headphone to Drop the first two times (annoyingly, they will not or cannot replace just the cable but only the entire package) and luckily none of my pairs suffered from any clipping. Drop was willing to replace it the third time since it was still under warranty, but wanted me to return the Elex before sending me a new one (they sent out a new Elex the first two times and I returned the old when after receiving the new); I just threw up my hands (why risk getting a new cable that would likely fail along with a new headphone that might clip) and got a Periapt cable, which has worked flawlessly for several years. Since getting a ZMF Aeolus a couple of years ago, I never use the Elex for music any more, but will often using it for watching movies. Its good dynamics work particularly well with action movies.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,799 of 2,030
Are these a good pairing with tubes? I know they are only 80 Ohm impedance but I do see some people posting their Elex setup on Drop alongside tube amps.

Jul 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,800 of 2,030
This is deja vu. This issue was discussed at length in this thread, and in other forums, three or four years ago when the Elex was new. Focal conceded that the Elex driver is intentionally designed to physically clip but only at extreme volume; I forget the exact number, but it's well north of 100 dBs. However, it is clear that many sets, though clearly not all, clipped at substantially lower volume. My impression is that Focal quality control--at least on the Elex, which is probably not a priority for them--in a word, stinks. In under a year, I had three (as in one! two! three!) stock XLR cables die in one channel even though they were carefully treated and never left my apartment. I returned the headphone to Drop the first two times (annoyingly, they will not or cannot replace just the cable but only the entire package) and luckily none of my pairs suffered from any clipping. Drop was willing to replace it the third time since it was still under warranty, but wanted me to return the Elex before sending me a new one (they sent out a new Elex the first two times and I returned the old when after receiving the new); I just threw up my hands (why risk getting a new cable that would likely fail along with a new headphone that might clip) and got a Periapt cable, which has worked flawlessly for several years. Since getting a ZMF Aeolus a couple of years ago, I never use the Elex for music any more, but will often using it for watching movies. Its good dynamics work particularly well with action movies.
Yea my first set with the dead left driver they made me return it first but they sent out the new one the same day they received it back. Their customer service was good but that can't make up for a faulty headphone. It's a shame because it's a beautiful headphone and feels well built. Do you feel the ZMF sounds better than the elex for music or just different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back