Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 28, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #1,756 of 2,030
So here's why the Elex sounds a bit worse than the Utopia and a simple way to improve the Elex's technicalities with EQ.

So what the infamous Focal 6 kHz peak is actually meant to do is create two dips centered at ~4 and ~8 kHz simulating a pinna notch, which helps with projecting the headstage outwards and creating a sensation of bass slam:

351EFC4E-A99B-4D66-9F1B-7A10D370C15B.jpeg

(Ishca measured the pad-rolled Elear and Elex and found them to be virtually identical, so that's what I'm using here)

However, the Elex is forward at 1.5-2 kHz instead of being dipped there like the Utopia, which partially moves the stereo image back forward, resulting in an incoherent headstage. Also, the combination of a peak followed by dips at the 2nd and 4th harmonics leads to a frequency masking effect, kind of like when you press the same note at two different octaves at differing loudnesses on a piano, causing a loss of detail and weakening of perceived low-end slam.

All you have to do to correct this, then, is add a notch in the upper midrange with parametric EQ. Because of factors such as unit and anatomical variance, this needs to be done by ear and precisely down to the Hz in order to avoid having the headphones sound hollow, narrow, or out of phase, but these are the peak filters I use:

1731 Hz, Q 5.85, 3.9 dB gain
1731 Hz, Q 3.51, -7.2 dB gain

I use this stereo imaging test while tweaking my presets to help ensure my settings are just right.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #1,757 of 2,030
How do the Dekoni Stellia ear pads sound with the Elex? Which pads do people seem to like best with these headphones? I'm sure it's been asked 100 times, but I'm just curious which of Dekonis offerings seems to be most liked on these... Plus I'm at work and can't skim 118 pages atm. Thanks!

May 8, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #1,758 of 2,030
How do the Dekoni Stellia ear pads sound with the Elex? Which pads do people seem to like best with these headphones? I'm sure it's been asked 100 times, but I'm just curious which of Dekonis offerings seems to be most liked on these... Plus I'm at work and can't skim 118 pages atm. Thanks!
You can get the Clear pads for $80 right now. https://www.headphones.com/products/focal-clear-ear-pads

May 8, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,760 of 2,030
Okay, so I'm assuming that you prefer these?
On my Elear I’ve only had the Utopia pads and the Clear pads. I’d say for $80 the Clear pads would be the way to go. They used to cost $200, and at that price may be hard to justify, but at $80 it’s much easier to justify.

May 19, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #1,761 of 2,030
Elex on sale for 599, is it worth the jump to 890 for the Clears? It’s a tough call now that’s for sure.

May 22, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,762 of 2,030
Elex on sale for 599, is it worth the jump to 890 for the Clears? It’s a tough call now that’s for sure.
I bought mine because of that sale. It was a unique occasion to buy them at a good price from France. The only other Focal that I'm familiar with is the Elegia, and the Elex couldn't have sound more different from them. To sum up things, the Elex presentation put the emphasis on bass and sub bass while the Elegia has a super clear treble region. I'm happy to have both but if I'm being honest, I still prefer the Elegia's sound signature.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,763 of 2,030
I bought mine because of that sale. It was a unique occasion to buy them at a good price from France. The only other Focal that I'm familiar with is the Elegia, and the Elex couldn't have sound more different from them. To sum up things, the Elex presentation put the emphasis on bass and sub bass while the Elegia has a super clear treble region. I'm happy to have both but if I'm being honest, I still prefer the Elegia's sound signature.
While the Elex does have good sub bass for an open dynamic, I don’t feel that the emphasis is on the bass. Overall I’d consider them to be pretty neutral overall. Everyone has a different idea of neutral though.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,764 of 2,030
While the Elex does have good sub bass for an open dynamic, I don’t feel that the emphasis is on the bass. Overall I’d consider them to be pretty neutral overall. Everyone has a different idea of neutral though.
I have often heard them described as W-shaped and I would completely agree. Lots of bass, lots of mids and all the treble you need.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #1,765 of 2,030
I have often heard them described as W-shaped and I would completely agree. Lots of bass, lots of mids and all the treble you need.
Wouldn’t that just be flat or neutral? Or are you saying it has 3 spikes? One bass spike, one mids spike, and 1 treble spike?

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,766 of 2,030
Wouldn’t that just be flat or neutral? Or are you saying it has 3 spikes? One bass spike, one mids spike, and 1 treble spike?
I love mids and they have great mids.
I like bass and they have solid bass, especially for an open back.
I am not a huge treble fan, but you do need a good amount of it to get a detailed, full sound.

IMO, it has a near perfect amount of each. I would never call them neutral. To me that describes studio headphones and pretty much all Sennheiser headphones.

My preferences run towards warm and or fun sound signatures in headphones and amps.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,767 of 2,030
I love mids and they have great mids.
I like bass and they have solid bass, especially for an open back.
I am not a huge treble fan, but you do need a good amount of it to get a detailed, full sound.

IMO, it has a near perfect amount of each. I would never call them neutral. To me that describes studio headphones and pretty much all Sennheiser headphones.

My preferences run towards warm and or fun sound signatures in headphones and amps.
I agree that is has a near perfect amount of each. I don’t agree that neutral would describe Sennheiser headphones though. My last open back before my Elear with Clear pads was an HD650, and I’d say these sound like an improved HD650.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,768 of 2,030
I agree that is has a near perfect amount of each. I don’t agree that neutral would describe Sennheiser headphones though. My last open back before my Elear with Clear pads was an HD650, and I’d say these sound like an improved HD650.
When I was writing that I figured there could be some backlash. :wink:

I have gone through many Senn's and they are just not my thing. I would never say they are crap or anything like that. I just don't care for their house sound.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,769 of 2,030
Hello guys,
I just had a change to listen to the Elex yesterday. The headphone had a "bouncy" sound that I have never met on any other headphones. Especially the drum, I think i could feel the elasticity of the drum surface bounding back and forth after being hit. And the microdynamic was even better than on the HD800 that lacked the volume graduation compared to the Elex. I don't know how Focal can make it And it's a stunning sounding property. I want to ask if the Eclear has that "bouncing" sounding property from the Elex ? Tks

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #1,770 of 2,030
Hello guys,
I just had a change to listen to the Elex yesterday. The headphone had a "bouncy" sound that I have never met on any other headphones. Especially the drum, I think i could feel the elasticity of the drum surface bounding back and forth after being hit. And the microdynamic was even better than on the HD800 that lacked the volume graduation compared to the Elex. I don't know how Focal can make it And it's a stunning sounding property. I want to ask if the Eclear has that "bouncing" sounding property from the Elex ? Tks
The Elear with Clear pads is the exact same thing as the Elex. I’m not sure what you mean by bouncy or elasticity though. It’s probably from the driver being more like a traditional speaker driver in design.

8667B038-B909-4F81-8FA9-08A7DA837CFD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back