Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Mar 31, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,741 of 2,030
I saw a couple of reviews and ordered them at $750 and I'm seeing all these people buying it for a lot less. Should I feel bad about buying it for that price without doing any research on the prices or are these good enough to do the $750 price tag justice?

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,742 of 2,030
I saw a couple of reviews and ordered them at $750 and I'm seeing all these people buying it for a lot less. Should I feel bad about buying it for that price without doing any research on the prices or are these good enough to do the $750 price tag justice?
Are you enjoying them? If you are that's all that really matters. Just because others may have paid less shouldn't diminish that. Yes, it may suck that you could have saved some money, but put that out of your mind and put them on your ears.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #1,743 of 2,030
Are you enjoying them? If you are that's all that really matters. Just because others may have paid less shouldn't diminish that. Yes, it may suck that you could have saved some money, but put that out of your mind and put them on your ears.
I'm actually still waiting for Drop to ship them out. They've delayed the Elex shipping a couple times. The shipping got delayed to 4/21 as of yesterday for me.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,744 of 2,030
I'm actually still waiting for Drop to ship them out. They've delayed the Elex shipping a couple times. The shipping got delayed to 4/21 as of yesterday for me.
The Elex does pop up regularly on the classifieds. You can maybe cancel the DROP order and hope one pops up for sale.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,745 of 2,030
The Elex does pop up regularly on the classifieds. You can maybe cancel the DROP order and hope one pops up for sale.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get in contact with Drop customer support.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,746 of 2,030
The DROP ship date is still 3 weeks away so you may be able to find one on the classifieds before then. You don't necessarily have to cancel the order right now. Of course there is also the risk that DROP could move up the ship date...sorry, I know, not quite helping, just running through the possible scenarios.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,747 of 2,030
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get in contact with Drop customer support.
I PM'd you with an offer for a very clean Elex. I've upgraded to the Utopia and would love to see my Elex go to a good home!

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,748 of 2,030
The Elex's are down to $599.00 on Drop. They are a great headphone!

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,750 of 2,030
This is an excellent bargain.
$599?
That is what I paid almost two years ago. I think they are still a good buy at the new retail of $749.00, compared to the Clears. But $599.00 is a Buy Now price, IMO.

So many people will miss out on these due to all the negative talk about driver problems. I am not saying there are no problems, but they have sold thousands for a reason.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,752 of 2,030
No problem with mine (till now...)
This is a great headphone and it takes some fine tuning with the Dekoni pads.
I love mine with the stock pads. I did have to "re-pad" my Elegia's. :slight_smile:

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,753 of 2,030
That is what I paid almost two years ago. I think they are still a good buy at the new retail of $749.00, compared to the Clears. But $599.00 is a Buy Now price, IMO.

So many people will miss out on these due to all the negative talk about driver problems. I am not saying there are no problems, but they have sold thousands for a reason.
Sifting through the interwebs, it seems like alot of driver problems are out of the box or within a few hours of use.

Being fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to listen to the Utopia, Stellia, and Clear MG at canjam, I have been seduced by the Focal house sound.

My short comparison.
  • Very nice sparkle and treble extension, I think it sparkles better than the clears or maybe its more audible because its not bright like the clears.
  • Mids and in general clears sound more full / thicker than the elex, notes have more weight. Again, not by any means is the elex thin sounding (ie Audio Technica house sound), more of a neutral reference level.
  • Bass is where these two are quite a bit different. Elex bass is not as punchy with less volume, the attack on the clears is intense, it hits with authority and extends lower.

The Elex is closer to neutral overall vs the clears, but its quite obvious they're from the same family. Elex is more relaxed, sound is not as full as the clear but its not thin by any means. Using the dekoni sheepskin pads on the elex makes it sound closer to the clear. Clear, smooth, balanced and non fatiguing is how I would describe them overall.

Really surprised at how good they sound, if I heard them before I purchased the clears I probably would not have bought the clears. Definitely a much better value.

IMG_20220421_204750.jpg

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,754 of 2,030
Sifting through the interwebs, it seems like alot of driver problems are out of the box or within a few hours of use.

Being fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to listen to the Utopia, Stellia, and Clear MG at canjam, I have been seduced by the Focal house sound.

My short comparison.
  • Very nice sparkle and treble extension, I think it sparkles better than the clears or maybe its more audible because its not bright like the clears.
  • Mids and in general clears sound more full / thicker than the elex, notes have more weight. Again, not by any means is the elex thin sounding (ie Audio Technica house sound), more of a neutral reference level.
  • Bass is where these two are quite a bit different. Elex bass is not as punchy with less volume, the attack on the clears is intense, it hits with authority and extends lower.

The Elex is closer to neutral overall vs the clears, but its quite obvious they're from the same family. Elex is more relaxed, sound is not as full as the clear but its not thin by any means. Using the dekoni sheepskin pads on the elex makes it sound closer to the clear. Clear, smooth, balanced and non fatiguing is how I would describe them overall.

Really surprised at how good they sound, if I heard them before I purchased the clears I probably would not have bought the clears. Definitely a much better value.

IMG_20220421_204750.jpg
I have had both, now just the Clear, I would say the Clear are closer to neutral than the Elex which is a tad bright / lean.
Or if you like, the Elex is just brighter than neutral and the Clear just slightly warmer than neutral.

I find the Clear to still be fatiguing with a totally transparent system, adding some warmth via Burson opamps just takes that slight edge off of a neutral presentation.

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #1,755 of 2,030
I have had both, now just the Clear, I would say the Clear are closer to neutral than the Elex which is a tad bright / lean.
Or if you like, the Elex is just brighter than neutral and the Clear just slightly warmer than neutral.

I find the Clear to still be fatiguing with a totally transparent system, adding some warmth via Burson opamps just takes that slight edge off of a neutral presentation.
I have both as of this moment and I can assure you that the clear is brighter than the elex on all of my gear, although I would not describe the elex as bright by any standard.

The clear has a slight warm tilt with the stock pads and becomes warmer with the sheepskin pads. The sheepskin also helps to reduce the brightness of the clears.

Perhaps theres some confusion about the definition? I'm going by Moon Audio's description.

Bright/Brightness – A boost in the upper frequencies or upper-mid range. Brightness is a feature enjoyed by many but walks a thin line to becoming unpleasant due to a potential of treble peaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back