Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #751 of 1,442
That is a very important point which I was unaware and I probably need to consider a couple of other points - besides a normal use, I also use CTH+SDAC as A-class preamp followed by passive pot for -6db output adjustment.:
1) On the plus side, the DC offset could be disregarded if does not affect DAC output and I can live with the scratchy noise especially because I do not use CTH+SDAC pot too often. On the minus side (as your comment I think indirectly implies as well), I've read somewhere that those "scratchy" CTH+SDAC, after Massdrop repairs them, seem to sound cleaner.
2) On a plus side, I A/B-compared SDAC with HTR II+ and do not hear any aural problem with this SDAC.
3) On the plus side, my main objection of CTH+SDAC sound profile, which is a way too soft transient response, was improved greatly by replacing the default EH 6922, it came with, with a 1976 tube.

I am definitely considering a return of this CTH+SDAC. In short, I am a victim of my own curiosity when I came across "Massdrop" listings on the shady site called www.blinq.com - not to mention their outrageously erroneous listings! At least I know now where those Massdrop's rejects go - LOL.

I'm in the middle of a back to back order fiasco with blinq.com myself. I strongly urge everyone not to buy from them. I also ordered the CTH from them. It was between drops and they offered me a coupon, so I also decided to try them out. When the box arrived, it was clear they were selling Massdrop's returned products that were not being tested or fixed. I was sure my unit was not tested, because:

1. It didn't have a tube .... seriously.... there was no tube
2. I also had a volume pot that was so scratchy unless you had it at the 12 o'clock position you couldn't get any sound out of it.

Is there an active Massdrop rep on head-fi that can confirm they're just shipping blinq they're returns? I think they should be aware that it seems like a lot of these units are making it out into the wild with multiple issues, and it reflects poorly on them. @WillBright @CEE TEE

@Mark Bajkowski it sounds like your pot needs cleaned with Deoxit. If you're not sure how to do it, I can take some pictures he help.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #752 of 1,442
Is there an active Massdrop rep on head-fi that can confirm they're just shipping blinq they're returns? I think they should be aware that it seems like a lot of these units are making it out into the wild with multiple issues, and it reflects poorly on them. @WillBright

Hey there, blinq purchases inventory from "jobbers", people/companies that buy from inventory liquidators and electronic repair centers, generally by weight. I dont know if that's all they do, but we've seen our products show up a few times over the last few years.

We're not involved with the sale of these units and we've taken efforts to stop this because of the confusing association with blinq's customer experience. Unfortunately, we have limited recourse, and it's generally 1-2 units (got lost in the mail, recycled accidentally, etc) so we've yet to find a good solution.

I do not reccomend purchasing valuable things on blinq. Massdrop.com is the only retailer of Massdrop Made products today.

Sorry for your experience, we're working to get more Massdrop Made products in stock so theres not such a wait between drops.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #753 of 1,442
Hey there, blinq purchases inventory from "jobbers", people/companies that buy from inventory liquidators and electronic repair centers, generally by weight. I dont know if that's all they do, but we've seen our products show up a few times over the last few years.

We're not involved with the sale of these units and we've taken efforts to stop this because of the confusing association with blinq's customer experience. Unfortunately, we have limited recourse, and it's generally 1-2 units (got lost in the mail, recycled accidentally, etc) so we've yet to find a good solution.

I do not reccomend purchasing valuable things on blinq. Massdrop.com is the only retailer of Massdrop Made products today.

Sorry for your experience, we're working to get more Massdrop Made products in stock so theres not such a wait between drops.

Will - Thanks for taking the time to write up a clear and detailed response. FWIW, I always received excellent customer support from Massdrop directly. Your response kicked me off the fence and and I grabbed at HD58X

upload_2018-6-29_7-57-54.png

I agree and would advise everyone to stay away from blinq for any purchase. It wasn't until after I ordered from blinq I found a lot of negative reviews. A common example is a "bait and switch" where people had ordered $1200 laptops and gotten ones worth $300. I placed and order and half of it was missing. Their support team basically told me they don't believe me and they're not going to do anything.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #754 of 1,442

I ordered a Carbon X from blinq and was sent a CTH. I'm returning the CTH now to blinq for refund. I wonder if someone ordered a CTH was sent at Carbon X.

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #755 of 1,442
I ordered a Carbon X from blinq and was sent a CTH. I'm returning the CTH now to blinq for refund. I wonder if someone ordered a CTH was sent at Carbon X.

Hah possibly. Not to disparage blinq, but it doesn't seem like accurately representing the product is a top priority. I found this searching on blinq, not sure what the purchaser should expect:

YaZoKly

2018-06-29 10_24_23-BLINQ_ Search Results for _massdrop_.png

YaZoKly

Will - Thanks for taking the time to write up a clear and detailed response. FWIW, I always received excellent customer support from Massdrop directly. Your response kicked me off the fence and and I grabbed at HD58X

Glad to hear about your positive experience and thanks for supporting the HD58X! We worked for a long time on that product, trying to achieve the sound signature we originally intended. It was disappointing that we had to launch with the version we did last November but Axel and Ronja at Sennheiser did great work with us between then and now to ensure we shipped the best product we could. Don't mean to derail the thread with HD58X discussion, just top of mind right now.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #758 of 1,442
As for Blinq, per their own chat and phone support, their clients should expect nothing specific because they ship "from a warehouse at a different location and do not have a way to check what they ship". As for Massdrop, are they really so desperate to sell their unrepairable units "by the weight" to shady vendors like Blinq without removing "Massdrop" logo?

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #760 of 1,442
What seems to be the problem ? or what does not look nornal to you ?

Here is mine.

The top part of the tube turn black after 1 day of my listening, i was wondering if I did something wrong (eg plug in the tube wrongly, or I connect to the wrong power supply).

Is it signs of burnt out?

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #761 of 1,442
It looks to me that the tube is not fully seated into the socket and there may be a crack in the base of the tube possibly due to insertion force.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #762 of 1,442
It looks to me that the tube is not fully seated into the socket and there may be a crack in the base of the tube possibly due to insertion force.

Hi, how can I determine if the tube if fully seated? Currently, its plug into the socket quite firmly and i have been burning the amp for more than 50 hours, not sure if there's anything that I should be doing to make sure it's working properly. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #763 of 1,442
Hi, how can I determine if the tube if fully seated? Currently, its plug into the socket quite firmly and i have been burning the amp for more than 50 hours, not sure if there's anything that I should be doing to make sure it's working properly. Thanks!

I have noticed 2 things with this amp. First, the tube is pretty difficult to put in. It feels very delicate and tight. Second, if the tube is glowing, it is working. If the tube isn't, it won't play

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #764 of 1,442

I have noticed a couple things with this amp. First, the tube is delicate and doesn't fit easily into the socket. Second, if it is glowing it is working. If it isn't, the amp won't play.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #765 of 1,442
Yes. Tube is a little tight. I suggest you pull the tube out and inspect the glass around the pins. See if any pins are bent. Look down at the socket and make sure the tangs are all open and centered. Then carefully insert tube again. If the silver getter at the top shows any signs of turning white the glass is cracked somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back