Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
May 12, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #661 of 1,442
I picked up my CTH from the UPS store this morning ... I've been listening for 3-4 hours off and on .... During the last hour or so I'm starting to get a metalic whine or ting in the left channel ... Volume pot has been at listening levels with minor adjustments depending on song loudness level ...

Is this something to do with burn in or the tube

It may be related to tube burn-in. Give it some more time and see if the issue goes away.

May 13, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #662 of 1,442
It may be related to tube burn-in. Give it some more time and see if the issue goes away.
I had a little bit of random distortion on my right ear the first couple hours or so if I recall but now after 30 40 hours so I guess everything sounds really clear and crisp just give it a little time I think you'll be okay.

May 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #663 of 1,442
I picked up my CTH from the UPS store this morning ... I've been listening for 3-4 hours off and on .... During the last hour or so I'm starting to get a metalic whine or ting in the left channel ... Volume pot has been at listening levels with minor adjustments depending on song loudness level ...

Is this something to do with burn in or the tube

Make sure that the tube is properly seated in its socket. This is my first tube amp and I don't know if they are all like this, but I feel like the tube has to be in there just right for it to perform appropriately.

May 14, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #664 of 1,442
Thanks everyone. I turned the unit off and reseated the tube a bit, doubled checked the connections. After that the noise went away. It was like a metalic buzzing. Maybe that is why they make those tube vibration dampers?

Anyway, This amp is very nice sounding. I'm using it for a small setup for use in my kitchen and three season porch. I was using a liquid carbon v2 and the sounds were a little to thick. This new amp is much more rounded and is a great match with ZMF Atticus & Eikon.

Though I do wish there was a gain switch. I don't seem to need anymore then a 10 o'clock and it is a fingerprint magnet

May 15, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #665 of 1,442
I have had this amp since the first drop in February and it is a fun little tube amp. After 10 hours the tube cracked though but got a refund to replace the tube with a third party vendor. Decided to replace with a Reflector 6H23p-EB and it really tightened the bass and is definitely a all around upgrade. It is much warmer and funkier than my Centrance Dacmini PX and cavalli liquid carbon. It complements a ss amp very well.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #666 of 1,442
Thanks everyone. I turned the unit off and reseated the tube a bit, doubled checked the connections. After that the noise went away. It was like a metalic buzzing. Maybe that is why they make those tube vibration dampers?

Anyway, This amp is very nice sounding. I'm using it for a small setup for use in my kitchen and three season porch. I was using a liquid carbon v2 and the sounds were a little to thick. This new amp is much more rounded and is a great match with ZMF Atticus & Eikon.

Though I do wish there was a gain switch. I don't seem to need anymore then a 10 o'clock and it is a fingerprint magnet

So this morning ... After burning in over night (now at around 30 hours) the noise came back ... Being a little sleepy, I sent an email to massdrop about getting a replacement.

I then switched the tube to a gold version from the same company ... same sound ...

I then dug up an old amp to try and bam the sound was there again ... So problem was with a two month old Mumby ..

I switched out the Mumby for another my brother has and everything is fine .. now

I'll do some more testing just to see and then an email to Schiit

So just letting everyone know that my MCTH has up to this point been great.

BTW: the Gold pin version tube seems to be better ... After reading a few posts about a possible bad batch of tubes is why I switched the tube

May 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #667 of 1,442
Don't know if you tried turning the DAC off and turning it back on after say 30 seconds. I have had similar problems over the years with DACs when they were zapped with static or there was a spike or power outage. Sometimes rebooting the DAC will solve the problem. There has been some discussion on another site about strange noises in the Schiit Modi Multibit and rebooting it fixed it.

May 22, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #669 of 1,442
Anyone have some comparisons between the cth and Valhalla 2?

Major difference.
The Valhalla is an OTL with low power into low impedance headphones, like Hifimans (35 ohms), but glorious tube sound into higher impedance phones, like the Sennhesiers (300 ohms).
The Cavalli is a hybrid: tube input with solid state output with more power down low for more "appropriate" sound into low impedance headphones, like Hifiman.

To/for my ears:
The Cavalli almost wants more mellifluous tubes to round out the sound of the solid state output (I use Amperex Orange globe 6922), while the Valhalla almost wants leaner, more full range tubes to balance off it more rounder sounding tubes (I use Tung-Sol 6CG7s in the input/driver stage).

I have both and both can be balanced in any way you see fit, by the right tubes and the right interconnects.

May 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #670 of 1,442
Mine just arrived. Import duties were €87, so I hope it's worth it.

Fortunately no defects and it sounds great out of the box paired with the Topping D30 and HD650. I'm still in the first hour of burn-in. What changes should I expect? Sound stage? Changes in warmth and highs? It sounds a bit in your face now, will that change?

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #671 of 1,442
Mine just arrived. Import duties were €87, so I hope it's worth it.

Fortunately no defects and it sounds great out of the box paired with the Topping D30 and HD650. I'm still in the first hour of burn-in. What changes should I expect? Sound stage? Changes in warmth and highs? It sounds a bit in your face now, will that change?
I've got about 50 hours on mine I think the sound changed a little bit warmer some soundstage also I'm very happy with it hope you like yours

May 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #675 of 1,442
It would be nice if some of you explained what you're using when you say things like this.

How would expect anyone to know what a "D50" is? Really!
OR must I go back and read the previous 8,483 Cavalli posts?

I didn't know what a D50 was either, but there is a very popular thing on the internet ... Google.com .... You might want to try it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back