Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
May 4, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #648 of 1,441
Update: PSU worked for about 1 hour then died. Getting in touch with the seller.

Pretty pissed but that's the risky you take....:disappointed:

May 4, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #650 of 1,441
Seller is DIYseller86, it was a custom build.

Pulled the fuse and yeah...it had blown. I'll go out tomorrow and source another fuse but not sure on the final outcome.

Keep you posted.

May 4, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #652 of 1,441
Seller is DIYseller86, it was a custom build.

Pulled the fuse and yeah...it had blown. I'll go out tomorrow and source another fuse but not sure on the final outcome.

Keep you posted.

If the fuse blew it could mean that the supply is not really sufficient to power the amp. May I ask what its ratings are?

May 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #653 of 1,441
Thanks for the reply @runeight, AC28V 2050mA is what I asked for them to make.

Had a whole bunch of things happen today, this is the least of my worries at the moment but I'll deal with this later.

May 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #654 of 1,441
Is anyone else's MCTH volume knob scratchy when adjusting during an active signal? Mine is quite scratchy in the left channel when doing so.

I had a similar problem. Mine was scratchy when I was dialing between 6-12. Contacted Massdrop, and replaced it. Replaced one doesn't have that problem, and sounds cleaner.

Gosh. my ether c flow sounds divine with it, which I never experienced with hugo alone.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #656 of 1,441
hi, the drop is about to finish, and i have been informing myself and reading alot about audio in the last 2 weeks
long story short
i have a pair of 6xx and
speakers that are personus 4.5bt ceres ( that don't seems to need any amp'ing)

thing is, i won't want to ubgrade my headphones in the next 10 year for sure
but i think at one point i will want to replace my speaker, or add a subwoofer

i'm guessing a small amp like this wont alow me to use it for headphones AND future speakers

i have been looking at the Jotunheim.

is this MCTH a insane good combo whit the 650, but should stay as a headphone amp only ?

May 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #657 of 1,441
hi, the drop is about to finish, and i have been informing myself and reading alot about audio in the last 2 weeks
long story short
i have a pair of 6xx and
speakers that are personus 4.5bt ceres ( that don't seems to need any amp'ing)

thing is, i won't want to ubgrade my headphones in the next 10 year for sure
but i think at one point i will want to replace my speaker, or add a subwoofer

i'm guessing a small amp like this wont alow me to use it for headphones AND future speakers

i have been looking at the Jotunheim.

is this MCTH a insane good combo whit the 650, but should stay as a headphone amp only ?
The cth is only really for headphones I would look into a integrated amplifier or stand-alone amp maybe something emotiva. They have a new line out the 100 and 300 series for $399.00

May 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #658 of 1,441
IIRC it outputs about 1 watt, and not many loudspeakers can be driven with real authority by 1 watt.
EDIT: Nevermind. Forgot the MCTH doesn't have line outs. Your Personus are powered monitors with their own built-in amp. You could theoretically run the headphone out from the MCTH to the input of your Personus, but this might be suboptimal. Specifically, cranking up the volume on the MCTH will probably overdrive the inputs and cause distortion.
And yes, the MCTH plays very well with HD650.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #659 of 1,441
I picked up my CTH from the UPS store this morning ... I've been listening for 3-4 hours off and on .... During the last hour or so I'm starting to get a metalic whine or ting in the left channel ... Volume pot has been at listening levels with minor adjustments depending on song loudness level ...

Is this something to do with burn in or the tube

May 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #660 of 1,441
I picked up my CTH from the UPS store this morning ... I've been listening for 3-4 hours off and on .... During the last hour or so I'm starting to get a metalic whine or ting in the left channel ... Volume pot has been at listening levels with minor adjustments depending on song loudness level ...

Is this something to do with burn in or the tube

Not sure on that one. Mine came out of the box and sound was clear and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back