Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #496 of 1,442
The ZMF Atticus powered by the Cavalli Tube Hybrid is a match made in heaven!

40221827735_639b54ae54_b.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #497 of 1,442
Thanks for the feeback gents.. I’m now thinking of a small desktop amp or semi-desktop trans/portable like the Ifi Micro iDSD BL. It seems to have a lot of juice on tap.. I have yet to audition it with the AFO...

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #498 of 1,442
The ZMF Atticus powered by the Cavalli Tube Hybrid is a match made in heaven!

40221827735_639b54ae54_b.jpg

Looks like you have a tube monger socket saver in there. Did you put the socket saver on a tube and then push it into the amp? I've been thinking of doing this but hell, I don't really find myself rolling a bunch of tubes in this particular amp.

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #499 of 1,442
Looks like you have a tube monger socket saver in there. Did you put the socket saver on a tube and then push it into the amp? I've been thinking of doing this but hell, I don't really find myself rolling a bunch of tubes in this particular amp.

Good question. I'm not the first owner of the amp and the socket saver was already installed when I got it from @bb rodriquez

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #500 of 1,442

Yeah I made the socket saver have a "snug" fit to the bottom of the tube, got it seated in the socket on the amp, removed the tube from the socket saver and pushed it down all the way.

It was kind of a waste of money since I couldn't tell a significant difference in tubes when rolling. I would only recommend it if you want to try tube rolling or want the tube to sit above the chassis for whatever reason. There was some slight sound changes from tube to tube, but nothing revolutionary. Massdrop and Cavalli did a good job making it sound good with new production 6922s.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #501 of 1,442
I believe that they are supposed to be electrically the same, with the - pins on the XLR just tied to the same ground pin from the 6.5mm.

I think I fixed it. I made my own XLR cable and I think i had a wire that was long and uncovered and it may have been in contact or close enough to another wire to cause it to short. Interestingly enough, this wasnt an issue on my true balanced amp

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #502 of 1,442
I think I fixed it. I made my own XLR cable and I think i had a wire that was long and uncovered and it may have been in contact or close enough to another wire to cause it to short. Interestingly enough, this wasnt an issue on my true balanced amp
I've always wanted to own a Cavalli amp. It's one of those long-term goals on an audiophile checklist. My biggest issue has been finding one. Cavalli products are so popular, or in such limited runs, usually about the time I can afford one, the site is out of stock. So when Massdrop offered this amp up, I was all-in.

I have been waiting for a night when I could give this purchase a decent listen. After finally getting to it after a few weeks, the only thing I can say, "What the hell was I waiting for? This thing is freaking great!"

I'm pairing the amp with an AK240, through a Chord Hugo DAC. I have 3 headphones at my disposal, the Sennheiser 650, the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, and the Hifiman HE-1000v2.

The Cavalli Tube Hybrid drove all three headphones without issue-- though you really have to crank it up to drive the HE1000v2.

The HE-1000v2 is a spectacular pairing, though it does make use of the entire volume knob's range. Rocking music will leave a bit at the top of the pot for headroom. Quieter tracks can take full volume. The HE-1000 drinks every watt this thing can deliver.
The sound on the HE-1000v2 (using a balanced cable--EDIT: which makes no difference, electrically, I should add-- the amp is a SET) is beautifully warm with surprising clarity-- I'm assuming the SS part of the amp is providing this characteristic. It isn't quite my Woo WA-5 LEv2 (at 1/30th the price), but it's very very nice, and a wonderful experience.

Moving to the TH-X00 Purpleheart-- this might be my favorite pairing of the three. The efficiency of the TH-X00 is a great match. The sound is massive. The deep sub-bass with this pairing is extremely satisfying. Fleetwood Mac (1975) really caught my attention, and Los Lobos' "Kiko" was divine. On bass heavy tracks, the bass can get a bit into bloat at higher volume levels-- it became too much of a good thing while listening to Mumford & Sons' "Babel." But if you like a little thump now and again, this pairing will scratch that itch, and it's outstanding at lower volume levels. The TH-X00 really comes alive under this amp's power, and it may be the best pairing I've heard with this headphone overall, including the WA-5LE. Clear. Dynamic. Fun. I believe you won't find a better match for the price.

Finally the HD-650. This pairing wasn't working for me. It lacked the bass of the previous two headphones, and the upper frequencies lost some of the magic-- the sound took on a tinnier, metallic tone, comparatively. Had I not listened to the other two cans prior, my feelings may have been different.

Negatives? The soundstage isn't terribly wide. It can be defeated by power hungry cans. On uber-bassy tracks, you may experience some bloat on bass-rich headphones.

All in all, for $250 bucks, this purchase is a no-brainer, unless you're pairing it with something that needs a butt-load of power, like the HD-800 or Abyss. But if you're spending at that price point for a headphone, chances are a $250 dollar amp isn't your first choice anyway. It's not as clean sounding as the Hugo direct output, but the Hugo direct output is positively sterile compared to the warmth the Cavalli brings to the table. I much preferred the Cavalli in the chain.

Outstanding achievement.

The MCTH sounds fantastic with my original wood Nighthawks and my HE-5 HiFiMans, but just ok with my HD6XX Massdrops.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #503 of 1,442
With my unmodified HD800, the mids and highs are less forward/aggressive through the MCTH than the Jotunheim. Both combinations are very good, but for now I like the MCTH much better for classical music.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #505 of 1,442
Eager to hear how this amp compares to the Schiit Lyr 3

Working on it. I'll try to get some time with both this week.

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #506 of 1,442
It has been about 36 hours since I got it. It has a great sound.

I A/Bed against my Hugo direct connection with my ether c flow. Honestly, I have had a hard time what is exactly difference between two different connections. I guess I have to listen long hours to figure them out.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #507 of 1,442
It has been about 36 hours since I got it. It has a great sound.

I A/Bed against my Hugo direct connection with my ether c flow. Honestly, I have had a hard time what is exactly difference between two different connections. I guess I have to listen long hours to figure them out.

I've been listening back and forth side by side with my Topping DX7 and the CTH and I can hear the warmth difference between the two. The DX7 is very calculated and clean, while the CTH has a slight warmth to it that is quite enjoyable, especially with my HE560. I intended to put this in my living room where I do some listening (and currently have a cheaper hybrid tube amp), but it hasn't left my desktop yet where I do more listening....

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #509 of 1,442
With my unmodified HD800, the mids and highs are less forward/aggressive through the MCTH than the Jotunheim. Both combinations are very good, but for now I like the MCTH much better for classical music.
I'm curious if you've heard the modified HD6XX? Also, a little more direct, wondering if you planned to go to the meet next weekend. There you can hear a few variations of the HD6x0 series and compare your thoughts on your Jot vs MCTH and Lyr 3.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #510 of 1,442
I'm curious if you've heard the modified HD6XX? Also, a little more direct, wondering if you planned to go to the meet next weekend. There you can hear a few variations of the HD6x0 series and compare your thoughts on your Jot vs MCTH and Lyr 3.
No, unfortunately I have not heard the modified 6XX and I will not be attending the meet. I am happy with my headphone collection for now and my focus has shifted to finding a Liquid Crimson amp that someone is willing to sell. In the meantime, I am enjoying the MCTH very much. It gets me more wrapped up in the music I like more than any amp I have owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back