Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 24, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #212 of 1,441
Let me quote the Steve Jobs of digital audio at length, as I think his words carry more weight than my own:

This is all off topic, but he says this, "Now the most examples of Schiit USB have USB bus powered USB sections which were isolated from the separate power of the DAC itself. The grounds had series inductors to isolate the electrical USB groud slop from the DAC ground. There went the stray clock currents. At the time, seemed to be galvanically isolated to me." ... so he engineers around one of the big pitfalls of USB and then erects a straw man from a questionably relevant piece of data so he can continue his angry rant anyway. Uh... okay, bud.

Oh yeah, and they sell the Wyrd, which also cuts the current from the USB and replaces it with a more stable one. So there seems to be quite a rift between words and actions.

I don't know, maybe I missed something. FWIW, I think Mike makes pretty nice DACs.

Now, I'm not saying these things will make a difference on every setup - but if the USB port isn't so hot you might get a little touch of interference every once in a great while. Overall, this is an issue that is pretty overblown. So in that respect we can agree that it's mostly buzzy BS.

That aside, the part you should really be paying attention to in his above rant is that USB absolutely sucks for transporting audio, and you should really be using S/PDIF or TOSlink, if possible.

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #213 of 1,441
I've owned Bimby, Mojo and the iFi iDSD Black Label, which are three popular choices in that category. Everybody obviously has slightly different requirements for their DAC, and there are tons of variables that weigh into the final sound, from wall power quality to USB cable to the USB output on your computer. Quantitative scoring aside, I can tell you what the different qualitative differences are between the DACs and perhaps that will help:

Bimby Pros:
Smooth analog sound.
Outstanding timbre.
Can sound very, very transparent at times. The most transparent of the three.
Really excels at rendering acoustic instruments, voices, etc.

Bimby Cons:
Powered by the wall, if your AC power sucks and you don't have a good power conditioner, your DAC will suck too.
Lacks the dynamic range of the other two, slightly smoothed over up top and not as black on the bottom.
Lacks the impact and physicality of the other two.

Mojo Pros:
Extremely crisp attack and decay.
Fairly spacious with sharp imaging.
Great dynamics and very solid impact.
Very clear, detailed, high-resolution sound, especially with higher res files. It's a fun sound to listen to.
Ultra versatile and portable. Fits in your pocket, can step up and hold its own with a high-end amp or 2-channel system.

Mojo Cons:
The USB input isn't galvanically isolated from the computer's USB output (but workarounds are available)
Battery life is kinda short (6-7 hours), unless you keep it plugged in.
Timbre can be a touch metallic at times, not as natural as the other two.

iDSD Black Label Pros:
The most impact and physicality of the three.
Warm, natural timbre.
The most deep inner detail of the three.
Transparency is just a hair behind Bimby, but dynamics on iDSD BL are clearly better.
Legit power to drive pretty much any headphone.

iDSD Black Label Cons:
Weird USB input type (but the best USB implementation).
Can be finicky about charging, must make sure the charging light engages or it will run on battery power.
Not as pocket friendly as Mojo.

If you want big, powerful dynamics with great timbre and impact: iDSD BL.
If you want a smooth, sweet sound with excellent transparency: Bimby.
If you want a fun sound with very crisp clarity and stunning imaging: Mojo.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #214 of 1,441
Was anyone able to audition the Auderez LCD-2 with the CTH at SFO Camjam. Any impressions would be welcome.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #215 of 1,441
This is all off topic, but he says this, "Now the most examples of Schiit USB have USB bus powered USB sections which were isolated from the separate power of the DAC itself. The grounds had series inductors to isolate the electrical USB groud slop from the DAC ground. There went the stray clock currents. At the time, seemed to be galvanically isolated to me." ... so he engineers around one of the big pitfalls of USB and then erects a straw man from a questionably relevant piece of data so he can continue his angry rant anyway. Uh... okay, bud.

Oh yeah, and they sell the Wyrd, which also cuts the current from the USB and replaces it with a more stable one. So there seems to be quite a rift between words and actions.

I don't know, maybe I missed something. FWIW, I think Mike makes pretty nice DACs.

Now, I'm not saying these things will make a difference on every setup - but if the USB port isn't so hot you might get a little touch of interference every once in a great while. Overall, this is an issue that is pretty overblown. So in that respect we can agree that it's mostly buzzy BS.

That aside, the part you should really be paying attention to in his above rant is that USB absolutely sucks for transporting audio, and you should really be using S/PDIF or TOSlink, if possible.
There are many theories out there and many perceptions about USB spikes etc. Some even say use Ferrite around the cable to kill noise. However, good quality cables like those made by Audioquest has helped and many users are happy. It is just like all audiophile industry using expensive cables for HPs and gear to get that ultimate detortion free sound. So these days portables have separate USB port for charging & audio. Since USB ports on the PC tend to charge the dac it is possible of heat generation. But if your DAC has separate usb port for audio it does not get hot and there is no interference.
Sorry for being off topic.
On the other hand I am sure the CTH is a great amp and having good power may be able to drive some decent HP. I am waiting for some audition of the CTH with the Audreze LCD-2 which I plan to buy next year.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #216 of 1,441
I'd suggest pumping the breaks, doing research, and making a confident and informed decision. Right now it looks like you'd end up unhappy with any purchase due to the uncertainties you have.

Not sure why the rush.

So, if I had to pick one you listed, I'd say... Neither, go w/ Bottlehead Crack+SB. (Easier & cheaper to tube roll which is a plus.)

I have used all tubes and all solid state in my system with Audeze LCD-3F's... and at the present time, I am using a Cavalli Liquid Carbon... it is a great fit with the LCD-3F's... great music! I also use the Oppo UDP-205 as my DAC. My whole system is balanced and using those great Norne Audio cables. This is my best system to date without spending $15G's. But, if I was going back to an all tube headphone amp... the best I've had is the Little Dot VI Plus... and for $800, it just can't be beat! It is a winner! That's my humble opinion.

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #217 of 1,441
I've owned Bimby, Mojo and the iFi iDSD Black Label, which are three popular choices in that category. Everybody obviously has slightly different requirements for their DAC, and there are tons of variables that weigh into the final sound, from wall power quality to USB cable to the USB output on your computer. Quantitative scoring aside, I can tell you what the different qualitative differences are between the DACs and perhaps that will help:

Bimby Pros:
Smooth analog sound.
Outstanding timbre.
Can sound very, very transparent at times. The most transparent of the three.
Really excels at rendering acoustic instruments, voices, etc.

Bimby Cons: