Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 21, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #182 of 1,441
Any dac options im a gamer and i decided to buy a new amp because i need to find out if my la figaro 339 is up to par i do find a great deal of difference in comparison of with/without the amp, but im a complete newb with tubes and amps and i actually received my la figaro damaged years ago (its majn problem is the volume knobs need a little messing around with to get the amp functioning....) So i had some money for a new amp and i joined this drop. I own a dragonfly red dac and it sounds good but i was interested in a new dac around $250 or less and I saw the sennheiser gsx 1000/1200 and i was wondering if it could make for a great of both worlds purchase(gaming and music) any suggestions would be nice and i hope A/B the la figaro 339 and CTH with a new dac and my HD650s.

SMSL Sanskrit 6th DAC

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #183 of 1,441
SMSL Sanskrit 6th DAC

Any additional sub-$500 suggestions for a DAC to pair with the CTH?
Would the Bimby (used goes for sub-$500) be a good match? How about Chord Mojo?

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #184 of 1,441
Any additional sub-$500 suggestions for a DAC to pair with the CTH?
Would the Bimby (used goes for sub-$500) be a good match? How about Chord Mojo?
Depending what forum you ask in (the Bimby forum or the Mojo forum, etc...) you may get different answers. I have demoed the Mojo and, while I enjoyed the sound, I found the RF noise to be to loud and distracting. Depending where you are and what equipment is paired with it, the RF noise can get too much. The Dac section in the Centrance DACportslim/HD is very good and only costs 100-200$ depending on which of the two you pick.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #185 of 1,441
Depending what forum you ask in (the Bimby forum or the Mojo forum, etc...) you may get different answers. I have demoed the Mojo and, while I enjoyed the sound, I found the RF noise to be to loud and distracting. Depending where you are and what equipment is paired with it, the RF noise can get too much. The Dac section in the Centrance DACportslim/HD is very good and only costs 100-200$ depending on which of the two you pick.

I am asking here, because I know that in a specific DAC thread - that DAC would be the only recommendation I get :wink:
Never heard of Centrance... will have to do some reading. Is it any better than Schiit Modi ($99) that I actually have (been sitting unused for a while)?

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #186 of 1,441
I am asking here, because I know that in a specific DAC thread - that DAC would be the only recommendation I get :wink:
Never heard of Centrance... will have to do some reading. Is it any better than Schiit Modi ($99) that I actually have (been sitting unused for a while)?
Correct but you still have to look into DAC threads. This thread is exclusively for Massdrop Tube Hybrid Alex Cavalli Amp as the title says. Rest is upto to you

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #187 of 1,441
Correct but you still have to look into DAC threads. This thread is exclusively for Massdrop Tube Hybrid Alex Cavalli Amp as the title says. Rest is upto to you

That's fair. I wanted to know what DACs people plan to pair with the CTH, but I guess it is mostly going to be guesswork, when it comes to how well they would match...

I think a better and more focused / on-topic question would be:
For the people that already auditioned the CTH - which DACs have you used? (and what do you think about the match?)

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #188 of 1,441
That's fair. I wanted to know what DACs people plan to pair with the CTH, but I guess it is mostly going to be guesswork, when it comes to how well they would match...

I think a better and more focused / on-topic question would be:
For the people that already auditioned the CTH - which DACs have you used? (and what do you think about the match?)

There are recommendations out there from people who received advance unit. Both Head-fiers and other enthusiasts. I summarized what I'd seen from what I've been able to find earlier. Anyone who has gotten an advance version got it with the expectation that they'd be posting impressions and providing input for good DACs and headphone pairings. Just gotta track those folks down. One place I'd look, which I haven't, is the Massdrop thread itself.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #189 of 1,441

I've owned Bimby, Mojo and the iFi iDSD Black Label, which are three popular choices in that category. Everybody obviously has slightly different requirements for their DAC, and there are tons of variables that weigh into the final sound, from wall power quality to USB cable to the USB output on your computer. Quantitative scoring aside, I can tell you what the different qualitative differences are between the DACs and perhaps that will help:

Bimby Pros:
Smooth analog sound.
Outstanding timbre.
Can sound very, very transparent at times. The most transparent of the three.
Really excels at rendering acoustic instruments, voices, etc.

Bimby Cons:
Powered by the wall, if your AC power sucks and you don't have a good power conditioner, your DAC will suck too.
Lacks the dynamic range of the other two, slightly smoothed over up top and not as black on the bottom.
Lacks the impact and physicality of the other two.

Mojo Pros:
Extremely crisp attack and decay.
Fairly spacious with sharp imaging.
Great dynamics and very solid impact.
Very clear, detailed, high-resolution sound, especially with higher res files. It's a fun sound to listen to.
Ultra versatile and portable. Fits in your pocket, can step up and hold its own with a high-end amp or 2-channel system.

Mojo Cons:
The USB input isn't galvanically isolated from the computer's USB output (but workarounds are available)
Battery life is kinda short (6-7 hours), unless you keep it plugged in.
Timbre can be a touch metallic at times, not as natural as the other two.

iDSD Black Label Pros:
The most impact and physicality of the three.
Warm, natural timbre.
The most deep inner detail of the three.
Transparency is just a hair behind Bimby, but dynamics on iDSD BL are clearly better.
Legit power to drive pretty much any headphone.

iDSD Black Label Cons:
Weird USB input type (but the best USB implementation).
Can be finicky about charging, must make sure the charging light engages or it will run on battery power.
Not as pocket friendly as Mojo.

If you want big, powerful dynamics with great timbre and impact: iDSD BL.
If you want a smooth, sweet sound with excellent transparency: Bimby.
If you want a fun sound with very crisp clarity and stunning imaging: Mojo.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #190 of 1,441
I've owned Bimby, Mojo and the iFi iDSD Black Label, which are three popular choices in that category. Everybody obviously has slightly different requirements for their DAC, and there are tons of variables that weigh into the final sound, from wall power quality to USB cable to the USB output on your computer. Quantitative scoring aside, I can tell you what the different qualitative differences are between the DACs and perhaps that will help:

Bimby Pros:
Smooth analog sound.
Outstanding timbre.

Bimby Cons:
Powered by the wall, if your AC power sucks and you don't have a good power conditioner, your DAC will suck too.
Lacks the dynamic range of the other two, slightly smoothed over up top and not as black on the bottom.
Lacks the impact and physicality of the other two.

Mojo Pros:
Extremely crisp attack and decay.
Fairly spacious with sharp imaging.
Great dynamics and very solid impact.
Very clear, detailed, high-resolution sound, especially with higher res files. It's a fun sound to listen to.
Ultra versatile and portable. Fits in your pocket, can step up and hold its own with a high-end amp or 2-channel system.

Mojo Cons:
The USB input isn't galvanically isolated from the computer's USB output (but workarounds are available)
Battery life is kinda short (6-7 hours), unless you keep it plugged in.
Timbre can be a touch metallic at times, not as natural as the other two.

iDSD Black Label Pros:
The most impact and physicality of the three.
Warm, natural timbre.
The most deep inner detail of the three.
Transparency is just a hair behind Bimby, but dynamics on iDSD BL are clearly better.
Legit power to drive pretty much any headphone.

iDSD Black Label Cons:
Weird USB input type (but the best USB implementation).
Can be finicky about charging, must make sure the charging light engages or it will run on battery power.
Not as pocket friendly as Mojo.

If you want big, powerful dynamics with great timbre and impact: iDSD BL.
If you want a smooth, sweet sound with excellent transparency: Bimby.
If you want a fun sound with very crisp clarity and stunning imaging: Mojo.

I hate you lol if i dont like the bimby ill return it and save for mojo

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #191 of 1,441

Bimby Pros:
Smooth analog sound.
Outstanding timbre.

Bimby Cons: