Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #496 of 520
No idea. It seems their Dx200 series has different types of wood utilized with 5200 and 7200 using wood with 5200 being dark, and 9200 being bamboo. But, I have read that 7200 is warmer sounding with seemingly rolled off a bit up top compared to the brighter 9200. IME D9200 didn't get peaky although can be considered bright, but not Beyer peaky type response, and the best part was very interesting bass. It expresses bass really well. It will cause you to listen to music that was mastered with bass as central focus.

If you want better sound, Ebony over Teak. Who cares about the looks. Paying big money on how headphone looks seems like a big waste. Headphones have no real practical value with it's looks compared to other types of products.
The D9200 is certainly brighter than the D7200 and the D5200; however, as you've mentioned, it is not unnecessarily bright as to be categorized as sibilant or strident. The entire treble section is crisp and detailed. The lows on the D9200 were also the most linear of the 3, but it was still a little north of neutral. However, the bass texture is fantastic on Denon's flagship; you get good layering, and some fantastic sub-bass, to boot. Basically, the D9200 has one of the best bass presentations on the contemporary headphone market.

In any case, I would pick the Teak over the TH-X00, but there is little to split between 2. They are both very good headphones in the same price range they inhabit.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #497 of 520
Imaging stage will definately be larger, but planar and dynamic bass are different. 2C is slightly open, but Audeze are generally not airy like Hifimans. Gimped upper-mids and Audeze generally thickens the mids with a dive in the upper-mids causing crucial definition and resolution of sounds to take a big dive with hazy warm-ness up top, reducing clarity. Ebony's biocelluse dynamic expresses bass differently, and well worth experiencing.

I think in general, most companies can extend bass in planars, but it's not easy to tell how impactful the bass is until you actually try them out. But, mids to upper-frequencies vary widely in how each company is able to tune the area that defines and causes details in sounds. Audeze doesn't know how to control their drivers for upper frequencies. Also, the open-ness of the planar headphones. Only Hifimans are truely open.

Upper-frequencies for headphones in general are not easy to tune, particularly with planars.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqkdze8w82zguyj/Audeze LCD-2 Fazor.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ese1vozwwmtf24c/Fostex TH-X00 Ebony.pdf?dl=0

They are actually very similiar. I see Ebony have more energy in 6-8k, LCD have more air up top, Ebony drops after 3k, LCD drops after 2k, LCD have a bit more low mid and a bit less bass. It looks like a good upgrade path for Ebony owners. Still every headphone is different experience.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #499 of 520
glad ive kept these in my stable. tom waits music sounds great with them
i saw you offering them and I wanted them. I just never had what you were after:wink:

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #503 of 520
Jul 14, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #509 of 520
Any chance these or the other Massdrop wood models will be offered again? I have the Ebony, but would like to get a purpleheart some day down the road.
I highly doubt it, you're better off checking the classifieds on head-fi or ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back