Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #392 of 520
Guys, has anyone tried MrSpeakers Ether Flow Angled pads with ebonies? I've heard some positive impressions about them from E-MU Teak owner. He claims that they are improving midrange, while slightly reducing bass and keeping treble on the same level.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #394 of 520
Ordered my Massdrop of the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony today. Looking forward to how they play in comparison to my
Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (good but not good enough)
mitchell & johnson MJ2 (very musical but not transparent enough)
Sennheiser HD 630 VB (too clean with no body)
Sennheiser HD-25 (not bad but it is not a grown up sound)
Ultrasone Edition 9 (Strong U-shape with not enough positioninig)

Owned in the past (2006) the Audio Technica ATH W-5000 and Audio Technica ATH W-1000 but sold them later as they sounded too bright. No idea how I would like them today.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #395 of 520
A80CD524-6E2F-478A-B7BC-F40360E26549.jpeg

They arrived and they are beautifull.
Now, I like them and I am not sure how to rate them based on my first 4 days with them.
So I will wait a bit before sharing my opinion.
Obviously they like to have a good amp. If I listen with my Sony NW-ZX2 directly and via my Corda Classic, this is a huge difference.

Funny thing is, my wife does not like them at all. So we did a short listening round with all my headphones and she clearly prefers the Hifiman 500 and the Audeze iSine 20. She went even so far to say that the Fostex are those who she dislikes most. Now, she is a rather loud listener and I prefer to listen on very low volume. This might be one of the reasons we can‘t agree about the Fostex.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #399 of 520
@Richter Di take a look at the THX00 thread since there are more who have tried different ear pad there. I didn't keep my THX00 since I found my TH600 more comfortable and better sounding so I can understand your issues with the stock ear pads.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #400 of 520
@Richter Di take a look at the THX00 thread since there are more who have tried different ear pad there. I didn't keep my THX00 since I found my TH600 more comfortable and better sounding so I can understand your issues with the stock ear pads.

I did read the other thread but since the Ebony sounds different and has stock different ear pads for influencing the sound I would like to hear specific Ebony recommendations.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #401 of 520
The Ebony is reputedly similar to the previous versions of the TH-X00, only somewhat more refined with less pronounced dips and peaks across the frequency range. I believe you can apply learnings from those previous threads and mentally compensate for the change in cups; a treble boost for the PH will likely result in the same effect on the EB with similar magnitude, for instance.

May 10, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #404 of 520
:anguished: What is this thread? Didn't know there was another TH-X00 thread. I have the Ebony, and I like them(like the forward mids and bass, nice woofer subs, and fairly smooth treble). My impressions are in the Jude's measurements thread.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #405 of 520
Ok, I hope to be more active here soon. I have the Dekoni TH-900 Sheepskin pads, and they suck out the bass. I just ordered the plastic acoustic cut out things off Amazon. Hopefully this brings back the sound. I plan on using them as a template for other materials that might work better. Time to fix these beauties. I haven't listened to them in a while, and that is crap. I'll report back once I get them. Should be quick. Prime shipping. Dekoni sells them (how convenient) for $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back