E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Sep 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #768 of 1,967
What did he end up choose over the Teaks for, I wonder?
The Eikon.

The Atticus is wonderful in so many ways, but I'm in the camp that thinks your chain better be done exactly right or the Atticus will sound too thick. Even then, I'm not sure it's perfect for all genres.

Eikon is a seriously great jack of all trades. I can throw anything at it and it handles it all. It sounds warm and cozy with tubes too.

(BTW, I still get notifications when I'm quoted... Hehehe)

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #769 of 1,967
Inspired by @ProfFalkin, I have tested 3 aftermarket pad options for these headphones.My little experiment had far less rigor than @ProfFalkin's (he carefully re-listened to the Teaks w/stock pads for hours before auditioning any new pads). I simply got thoroughly familiar w/the stock Teaks on 2 amps (Liquid Carbon and Audio GD SA-31SE); then switched pads 3X in a row, spending 1-2 hours w/each new set of pads, going back and forth between the 2 amps.

The one really different thing I did here was inspired by the thick/stiff attenuator layer sewn into the each of the Teaks' stock pads (behind the removable locking ring)—for 2 of the 3 pads listed below, I used the same Dekoni attenuator rings, and inserted behind each one a thin cardboard layer* traced out/cut from the Dekoni's (all to more closely

Note that these 2 amps had provided divergent & illuminating sonic views of the Teaks w/stock pads:
  • SA-31SE: true to its restrained yet powerful nature, this amp produced the most neutral sound on the Teaks. Everything was in proportion: that slightly elevated upper midrange/lower treble was there, but non-offensive; the slightly depressed midrange; and that very good, nuanced bass. Finally, the soundstaging was average at best (soundstaging doesn't seem to be the forte of any headphones based on this Fostex frame).
  • Liquid Carbon: as sometimes happens with this remarkable little amp, the LC "locked in" with the Teaks from minute-1, providing a ravishing, warm, bassy sound. The bass of the Teaks was at its absolute best with the LC, and that slight upper midrange tilt was nearly gone. Again, the soundstaging was average at best, but the overall sound was so organic and seductive that I didn't much care. On the downside, the high treble was somewhat reduced—this doesn't bother me, but it might bother others.

So here are my brief impressions of 3 aftermarket pads on the Teaks:

1 – Brainwavz Angled Sheepskins (aka BWS--a loan from @ProfFalkin)

I start with these because they're similar in dimension to multiple pads on hand (ZMF Cowskins; ZMF Ori pads; Alpha Pads). Compared to the Teaks' stock pads, the BWS are ~2X deeper on both the tall & short sides (ie, ~1 3/4" vs 7/8" tall side of BWS vs Teaks stock pads, respectively)

This impression will be quick: the BWS, attractive as they are, sounded like dog poop on the Teaks. The bass was greatly reduced; the upper midrange/lower treble was greatly increased; and the midrange was MIA, as was any soundstaging. Neither amps made much difference in the result. The one good thing I can say is the comfort of these headphones was vastly improved vs stock pads—off the charts comfortable (not that it mattered).

This was pretty grim listening (I couldn't wait for it to be over), and yet another lesson in just how much even terrific pads can degrade the stock tuning of headphones.

2 – Brainwavz HM5 Ovals (aka HM5s)

The HM5s are approximately the same depth as the stock pads' tall side—all the way around (HM5s are not angled)—and their earholes are definitely larger than stock pads. They fit the Teaks, but due to their oval dimension, I couldn't insert the Dekoni attenuator + backing layer (I may have been able to force them on, but worried they might get damaged).

I'm happy to say that things got much better w/the HM5s: comfort still far better than w/stock pads; bass ~90%-95% of normal; midrange back to normal; upper midrange/treble glare still somewhat increased vs stock, but far less than w/BWS. Soundstaging got back up to "just average," close to stock pads, perhaps a little better.

These useful, "swiss-army-knife" pads (everyone seems to own multiple pairs) once again prove their value. I suspect many E-Mu Teak owners, more tolerant of treble than me, would find the sonic trade-offs to be trivial (or even an improvement), along with the significant increase in comfort w/these pads. The basic sound profile of the Teaks comes through to a fairly large degree with the HM5s.

3 – Brainwavz Round Pleathers (aka BRP)

I recently got intriguing results with these pads on the Fidelio X2s. They're not simply a "round" version of HM5s: their foam is slightly less firm than the HM5s (yet still very comfortable); and the width of the pleather-covered foam is slightly greater than that of the HM5s, resulting in a slightly smaller earhole (though still larger than the stock pads). Best of all, BPR are perfectly sized to fit most 100mm earcups like the Teaks w/little stretching or struggling.

Before listening, I guessed the BRP might be good on the Teaks, and that proved to be 100% true: these pads once again produced intriguing, highly listenable results:
  • Bass was nearly identical to stock, especially on the LC, where it rocked & hit much as it does w/stock pads (though bass seems very slightly diminished in absolute level w/BRP)
  • Midrange is perhaps better than stock. I could be mistaken, but thought I heard more there
  • The upper midrange/lower treble, while still slightly elevated vs stock pads, is very close to where it should be, especially on the LC
  • But the really intriguing thing w/the BPR is that I hear significantly more soundstaging than with any other pads. Especially on the SA-31SE, the soundstaging became downright interesting, something it's not w/stock pads.

CONCLUSION:
Based on what I heard in these tests, Brainwavz round pads are the aftermarket pads to use with the Teaks. I would get a pair of sheepskin Brainwavz rounds and try those, hoping for a bit less treble elevation. Regardless, these are the best aftermarket pad option by far IMO (they also look rather awesome on the Teaks). I didn't try the rounds w/o Dekoni attenuator & backing layer, though based on the good results I got w/o those on the Brainwavz ovals, the rounds might sound just fine w/o them.

However, if you have HM5s on hand, you should get very listenable results w/them: you'll hear most of the Teaks' sonic goodies more or less intact, along with a big boost in comfort.

*The stiff backing layer behind every 8.5 X 11 inch pad of writing paper

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #771 of 1,967
Inspired by @ProfFalkin, I have tested 3 aftermarket pad options for these headphones.My little experiment had far less rigor than @ProfFalkin's (he carefully re-listened to the Teaks w/stock pads for hours before auditioning any new pads). I simply got thoroughly familiar w/the stock Teaks on 2 amps (Liquid Carbon and Audio GD SA-31SE); then switched pads 3X in a row, spending 1-2 hours w/each new set of pads, going back and forth between the 2 amps.

The one really different thing I did here was inspired by the thick/stiff attenuator layer sewn into the each of the Teaks' stock pads (behind the removable locking ring)—for 2 of the 3 pads listed below, I used the same Dekoni attenuator rings, and inserted behind each one a thin cardboard layer* traced out/cut from the Dekoni's (all to more closely

Note that these 2 amps had provided divergent & illuminating sonic views of the Teaks w/stock pads:
  • SA-31SE: true to its restrained yet powerful nature, this amp produced the most neutral sound on the Teaks. Everything was in proportion: that slightly elevated upper midrange/lower treble was there, but non-offensive; the slightly depressed midrange; and that very good, nuanced bass. Finally, the soundstaging was average at best (soundstaging doesn't seem to be the forte of any headphones based on this Fostex frame).
  • Liquid Carbon: as sometimes happens with this remarkable little amp, the LC "locked in" with the Teaks from minute-1, providing a ravishing, warm, bassy sound. The bass of the Teaks was at its absolute best with the LC, and that slight upper midrange tilt was nearly gone. Again, the soundstaging was average at best, but the overall sound was so organic and seductive that I didn't much care. On the downside, the high treble was somewhat reduced—this doesn't bother me, but it might bother others.

So here are my brief impressions of 3 aftermarket pads on the Teaks:

1 – Brainwavz Angled Sheepskins (aka BWS--a loan from @ProfFalkin)

I start with these because they're similar in dimension to multiple pads on hand (ZMF Cowskins; ZMF Ori pads; Alpha Pads). Compared to the Teaks' stock pads, the BWS are ~2X deeper on both the tall & short sides (ie, ~1 3/4" vs 7/8" tall side of BWS vs Teaks stock pads, respectively)

This impression will be quick: the BWS, attractive as they are, sounded like dog poop on the Teaks. The bass was greatly reduced; the upper midrange/lower treble was greatly increased; and the midrange was MIA, as was any soundstaging. Neither amps made much difference in the result. The one good thing I can say is the comfort of these headphones was vastly improved vs stock pads—off the charts comfortable (not that it mattered).

This was pretty grim listening (I couldn't wait for it to be over), and yet another lesson in just how much even terrific pads can degrade the stock tuning of headphones.

2 – Brainwavz HM5 Ovals (aka HM5s)

The HM5s are approximately the same depth as the stock pads' tall side—all the way around (HM5s are not angled)—and their earholes are definitely larger than stock pads. They fit the Teaks, but due to their oval dimension, I couldn't insert the Dekoni attenuator + backing layer (I may have been able to force them on, but worried they might get damaged).

I'm happy to say that things got much better w/the HM5s: comfort still far better than w/stock pads; bass ~90%-95% of normal; midrange back to normal; upper midrange/treble glare still somewhat increased vs stock, but far less than w/BWS. Soundstaging got back up to "just average," close to stock pads, perhaps a little better.

These useful, "swiss-army-knife" pads (everyone seems to own multiple pairs) once again prove their value. I suspect many E-Mu Teak owners, more tolerant of treble than me, would find the sonic trade-offs to be trivial (or even an improvement), along with the significant increase in comfort w/these pads. The basic sound profile of the Teaks comes through to a fairly large degree with the HM5s.

3 – Brainwavz Round Pleathers (aka BRP)

I recently got intriguing results with these pads on the Fidelio X2s. They're not simply a "round" version of HM5s: their foam is slightly less firm than the HM5s (yet still very comfortable); and the width of the pleather-covered foam is slightly greater than that of the HM5s, resulting in a slightly smaller earhole (though still larger than the stock pads). Best of all, BPR are perfectly sized to fit most 100mm earcups like the Teaks w/little stretching or struggling.

Before listening, I guessed the BRP might be good on the Teaks, and that proved to be 100% true: these pads once again produced intriguing, highly listenable results:
  • Bass was nearly identical to stock, especially on the LC, where it rocked & hit much as it does w/stock pads (though bass seems very slightly diminished in absolute level w/BRP)
  • Midrange is perhaps better than stock. I could be mistaken, but thought I heard more there
  • The upper midrange/lower treble, while still slightly elevated vs stock pads, is very close to where it should be, especially on the LC
  • But the really intriguing thing w/the BPR is that I hear significantly more soundstaging than with any other pads. Especially on the SA-31SE, the soundstaging became downright interesting, something it's not w/stock pads.

CONCLUSION:
Based on what I heard in these tests, Brainwavz round pads are the aftermarket pads to use with the Teaks. I would get a pair of sheepskin Brainwavz rounds and try those, hoping for a bit less treble elevation. Regardless, these are the best aftermarket pad option by far IMO (they also look rather awesome on the Teaks). I didn't try the rounds w/o Dekoni attenuator & backing layer, though based on the good results I got w/o those on the Brainwavz ovals, the rounds might sound just fine w/o them.

However, if you have HM5s on hand, you should get very listenable results w/them: you'll hear most of the Teaks' sonic goodies more or less intact, along with a big boost in comfort.

*The stiff backing layer behind every 8.5 X 11 inch pad of writing paper
That's a great review! I'm wishing I had tried the round BW pads at some point. If they sound/fit better than the oval pads, it's a no brainier at their price point.

Can you put a link up for the round pads so we know which ones they are? (I know which ones you are referring to, but others won't.)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #772 of 1,967
That's a great review! I'm wishing I had tried the round BW pads at some point. If they sound/fit better than the oval pads, it's a no brainier at their price point.

Can you put a link up for the round pads so we know which ones they are? (I know which ones you are referring to, but others won't.)

Certainly. Here's the master link to Brainwavz rounds: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/round-headphone-earpads/round-pads

You'll see the first row (3 headphones shown) are regular round pads, 100mm in diameter, available in pleather, velour, or sheepskin. The ones I used in testing the Teaks are the maroon pleathers shown in the middle photo.

The 2 photos in the bottom row illustrate the XL rounds, which are 110mm in diameter (ie, could fit a ZMF Eikon/Atticus or any other headphone w/large, round earcups). I have no experience w/these XL rounds.

For what it's worth, I usually had good experiences w/the HM5, but often wished they were round, not oval (HM5s are 90mm wide X 110mm tall). The standard Brainwavz rounds totally answer my wish...

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #773 of 1,967
ZMF is close to finishing a pad to hopefully do what's yet to be done, match or beat the stock pad in sound. He's hearing a lot about it in the TH-X00 thread, well, from me mainly. The stock pads are not as comfortable as they could be but that design must be what makes them work. If he can top that in every way, he's got a potential big seller on the way.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #774 of 1,967
Certainly. Here's the master link to Brainwavz rounds: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/round-headphone-earpads/round-pads

You'll see the first row (3 headphones shown) are regular round pads, 100mm in diameter, available in pleather, velour, or sheepskin. The ones I used in testing the Teaks are the maroon pleathers shown in the middle photo.

The 2 photos in the bottom row illustrate the XL rounds, which are 110mm in diameter (ie, could fit a ZMF Eikon/Atticus or any other headphone w/large, round earcups). I have no experience w/these XL rounds.

For what it's worth, I usually had good experiences w/the HM5, but often wished they were round, not oval (HM5s are 90mm wide X 110mm tall). The standard Brainwavz rounds totally answer my wish...

Hi Pharmaboy. Earlier in this thread I shared similar exerience with pads that are very similar in shape to the round brainwavs that you like as well. Here is a link on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q. Size is almost the same - I measured it - the round hole is 5.5 cm. just as the those of the BRP. It is slighly shallower at 2.6cm compared to 3.0cm for the BRP. This is closer to the original pads and I think it can be even better... but this is just a guess. Indeed this pad and I think BRP will be very very similar became my preferred choice for the Teaks.
On the inside I am using plastic round cutouts. After experimenting with different shapes I like the round shape with ~5.3cm opening best. Attached are some not so great quality pictures, but better than no pictures.
Those pads IMHO and I believe the BRP are worthwile replacement for people who have comfort issues with the stock pads. The only negative with my pads are that they are obviusily made from synthetic leather and do not breathe very well. That makes the BRP from sheep leather quite tempting ...
IMG_20170920_215221.jpg
IMG_20170920_215259.jpg
IMG_20170331_222558.jpg
IMG_20170920_215410.jpg

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #775 of 1,967
Hi Pharmaboy. Earlier in this thread I shared similar exerience with pads that are very similar in shape to the round brainwavs that you like as well. Here is a link on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q. Size is almost the same - I measured it - the round hole is 5.5 cm. just as the those of the BRP. It is slighly shallower at 2.6cm compared to 3.0cm for the BRP. This is closer to the original pads and I think it can be even better... but this is just a guess. Indeed this pad and I think BRP will be very very similar became my preferred choice for the Teaks.
On the inside I am using plastic round cutouts. After experimenting with different shapes I like the round shape with ~5.3cm opening best. Attached are some not so great quality pictures, but better than no pictures.
Those pads IMHO and I believe the BRP are worthwile replacement for people who have comfort issues with the stock pads. The only negative with my pads are that they are obviusily made from synthetic leather and do not breathe very well. That makes the BRP from sheep leather quite tempting ...

I'm sorry to say I don't remember your pad-rolling post--and I have no excuse since I've read this entire string!

But obviously you took it farther than I or @ProfFalkin did by focusing on round pads slightly shallower than the BRP--also by devising your own round plastic attenuator insert (the thought never crossed my mind, but it makes total sense).

Ironic to read your post: before I even started my testing, I searched for the 1st pair of aftermarket pads I ever got (Sennheiser Urbanite XL)--exactly because I remembered they were round, possibly large enough in diameter, and slightly shallower than BRP. But I couldn't them, so that idea wasn't tested.

I think what all this proves is that the Teaks can accept aftermarket pads and give good sonic results. It just takes some more work than w/other headphone designs.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #776 of 1,967
I'm sorry to say I don't remember your pad-rolling post--and I have no excuse since I've read this entire string!

But obviously you took it farther than I or @ProfFalkin did by focusing on round pads slightly shallower than the BRP--also by devising your own round plastic attenuator insert (the thought never crossed my mind, but it makes total sense).

Ironic to read your post: before I even started my testing, I searched for the 1st pair of aftermarket pads I ever got (Sennheiser Urbanite XL)--exactly because I remembered they were round, possibly large enough in diameter, and slightly shallower than BRP. But I couldn't them, so that idea wasn't tested.

I think what all this proves is that the Teaks can accept aftermarket pads and give good sonic results. It just takes some more work than w/other headphone designs.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-666#post-13386076 , this is where I posted, not, here, sorry. And you are right, this shape does look good on the Teaks.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #777 of 1,967
E-Mu Teaks Update

Stock pads back on...did some "reality check" listening via the amp that'd sounded the best for the Teaks during my pad-rolling experiment, the Audio GD SA-31SE. Sound is very good--Teaks are back to their stock self.

For unrelated reasons, I decided to put the Lake People G109-A on the 2nd RCA output from the DAC. It's an amp I really love, but hasn't been getting much action lately: most of my listening has been balanced, while the G109-A is slngle-ended. I let it warm up for 30" or so; plugged the Teaks' balanced cable into my Forza AudioWorks HCP Noir "pigtail" (which turns balanced cables into a 6.35mm single-ended cable); then jacked into the G109-A and began listening. I expected it would sound good (the G109-A makes every headphone sound good).

Well, the sound is amazing...shockingly good. Easily the best sound I've ever gotten out of these headphones w/any amp or ear pads. Had no idea I'd discover this today, but my ears are telling me pretty clearly the G109-A is the amp for the Teaks:
  • Hearing the best bass I've ever gotten from the Teaks. "Best" in every possible way--how deep they go; how hard they hit; and how timbrally accurate they sound from the bottom notes all the way up to the lower midrange. This is either the 2nd best bass I've ever heard (behind the ZMF Eikon), or maybe the 3rd best (behind the Eikon & ZMF Ori). I'll have to check the Ori again to be totally sure of that. Regardless--this bass is ridiculously good. It also sounds deep & impactful even w/volume turned down.
  • The midrange is also the most fully fleshed out and "alive" I've heard from these headphones. On every other amp, the midrange sounded slightly recessed but otherwise pretty good. On the G109-A, the midrange sounds pretty much level w/the rest of the frequencies. I also hear more subtle details & sonic cues than before.
  • The characteristic slightly-hot upper midrange & lower treble of the Teaks is all there, not suppressed at all--but it sounds organic, impactful and nuanced. This is how these headphones are voiced, and I fell right into line with it (really good sound sometimes pushes me to deviate from certain sonic preferences a little).
  • The biggest surprise is the soundstaging. With the G109-A, I'm hearing far more soundstaging than with any other amp. Despite their many good qualities, I had not heard more than "average" soundstaging from them until now. Well, now it's above average; and given how good the rest sounds, it all adds up to crazy/good sound.
Not sure whether all this excellence is due to the G109-A by itself (it is a terrific amp); or maybe these headphones really want to run single-ended (maybe both). Either way, this is the amp for the Teaks.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #779 of 1,967
I already got my Teaks. They were shipped out of Singapore Tuesday and delivered to my door in Maryland at 9:55AM Wednesday.

I see a lot of pad rolling with ZMF and Brainwavz pads. DId anyone try Dekoni sheepskins pads?

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #780 of 1,967
Based on what I heard in these tests, Brainwavz round pads are the aftermarket pads to use with the Teaks...

Pharmaboy did you ever try or have an opinion about the Dekoni pads by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back