Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 30, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #9,976 of 12,086
  Hey, where can I find the original round open Denon/Fostex pads (no angled ones)?
The new iterations of these EMU/X00 are a tad bit... too small inside. I can find the original angeld Denon pads with wider openings, but the price is a bit... well, even $33 feels more.
I'm not gonna go with any larger pads as they will make the driver too distant for me. HM5 Angled sheepskin didn't work for me, so I don't think others will.

Any ideas?

I found these which may be more useful to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PP-1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushions-Part-for-FOSTEX-TH900-Headphones-/282314320571?hash=item41bb3eaabb:g:VkgAAOSwEzxYbL4f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protein-Leather-Replace-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-DENON-AH-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone/252444465015?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D44516c82134047e89f220191cca64077%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D112297466591

These are more open than stock right?

OR I need to find cheaper ones of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOSTEX-EX-EP-91-EarPad-Ear-Pads-Pair-for-Headphone-TH900mk2-Original-Brand-New-/112297466591?hash=item1a25735adf:g:HAsAAOSwB-1Yx58x

$118 is just... a joke to be honest.

You may wish to consider these from MrSpeakers,

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/ether-flat-ear-pads-2/

beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #9,977 of 12,086
  Hey, where can I find the original round open Denon/Fostex pads (no angled ones)?
The new iterations of these EMU/X00 are a tad bit... too small inside. I can find the original angeld Denon pads with wider openings, but the price is a bit... well, even $33 feels more.
I'm not gonna go with any larger pads as they will make the driver too distant for me. HM5 Angled sheepskin didn't work for me, so I don't think others will.

Any ideas?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PP-1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushions-Part-for-FOSTEX-TH900-Headphones-/282314320571?hash=item41bb3eaabb:g:VkgAAOSwEzxYbL4f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protein-Leather-Replace-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-DENON-AH-D-2000-5000-7000-Headphone/252444465015?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D44516c82134047e89f220191cca64077%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D112297466591

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOSTEX-EX-EP-91-EarPad-Ear-Pads-Pair-for-Headphone-TH900mk2-Original-Brand-New-/112297466591?hash=item1a25735adf:g:HAsAAOSwB-1Yx58x

After trying several different pads including the ZMF Omni pads (not sure if they are identical to the ZMF Ori pars) I find these the best replacement for the stock pads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q

The ZMF Omni pads are too thick and I loose bass quantity and quality with them. With D2000 pads I feel siblance. With there cheap copies I am finally at peace with my EMU Teaks and say good-bye to pad-nerviosa.

Probably original round Fostex pads will be better but much more expensive. I attach a not so good photo of the EMU-Teaks.

I should mention that I have placed inside round plastic inserts to emulate the stock pads and it had positive effect on the bass.  

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #9,978 of 12,086
Than you for thoses informations.  Plenty of room inside them, nice thing :)  Have you try the alpha pads ?

I should mention that I have placed inside round plastic inserts to emulate the stock pads and it had positive effect on the bass. 

Any photos please ? I didnt see quite well :D

And well Audeze Vegan pads, any test ?

So anything about sound signature please ? 

Thank you !

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #9,979 of 12,086
  Than you for thoses informations.  Plenty of room inside them, nice thing :)  Have you try the alpha pads ?

Any photos please ? I didnt see quite well :D

And well Audeze Vegan pads, any test ?

So anything about sound signature please ? 

Thank you !

Haven't tried the Audeze Vegan, cannot comment. Here are some pictures. The cutting is not perfect but I never thought I would post them on Internet :wink:. Anyway they are invisible inside :wink:

Sound signature - close to stock for me but with more air (a little bigger soundstage). And much more comfortable for my ears.

Picture quality is not great, but I don't have time to get out the DSLR.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #9,980 of 12,086
Hello,

Thank you ! picture are perfect :)
Cool for the sound !

Two more little question sorry :
- you take a random rigid/hard plastique and let's go ?
- have you tested the alpha dogs ?

Thx again :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #9,981 of 12,086
Hi All,

I received a set of the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony headphones recently. (Well, my first pair was from the February drop and one of the ear cups cracked... so I was able to get a replacement unit a few days ago.) I was curious if anyone has any information on wood care/maintenance for these headphones?

I know how to treat the wooden cups on my Audeze LCD series, and I have a big bottle of Howard's Feed n Wax that I use. I'm wondering if this would be fine to use on the cups? I'm worried that a product may accidentally ruin the gloss finish.

Hopefully someone has an answer! I would reach out to Fostex themselves, but I wasn't sure how to easily contact them. 

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #9,982 of 12,086

Any ideas?

After trying several different pads including the ZMF Omni pads (not sure if they are identical to the ZMF Ori pars) I find these the best replacement for the stock pads:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-End-Replacement-Ear-Pad-EarPads-Cushion-For-FOSTEX-TH900-TH900mk2-Headphone-/142073428333?var=&hash=item21143c796d:m:mAMA44BtdRxAdjnhwsiSz9Q

The ZMF Omni pads are too thick and I loose bass quantity and quality with them. With D2000 pads I feel siblance. With there cheap copies I am finally at peace with my EMU Teaks and say good-bye to pad-nerviosa.

Probably original round Fostex pads will be better but much more expensive. I attach a not so good photo of the EMU-Teaks.

Can you provide us measurements of the inner diameters, compared to the stock pads? I have this trouble that most cans are messing with the edge of my ears. Only the Sennheiser HD6XX pads are truly around my ears. The rest of them are always touching the upper tip is why I'm considering pads with more inner opening and hence these or the original Fostex may be my choice now.

Your pads look like these to me, like the link you shared:

How about these instead?

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #9,983 of 12,086
  Hello,

Thank you ! picture are perfect :)
Cool for the sound !

Two more little question sorry :
- you take a random rigid/hard plastique and let's go ?
- have you tested the alpha dogs ?

Thx again :)

Hi gug42,

- I use semi-rigid plastic, not easily bendable. It is harder than the original. I will probably also try softer material sometime.
- Haven't tested alpha dogs. I will be easier to mention what I have tested: Brainwavs Angled Pads, Denon 2000/5000 pads, ZMF Omni.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #9,984 of 12,086

Can you provide us measurements of the inner diameters, compared to the stock pads? I have this trouble that most cans are messing with the edge of my ears. Only the Sennheiser HD6XX pads are truly around my ears. The rest of them are always touching the upper tip is why I'm considering pads with more inner opening and hence these or the original Fostex may be my choice now.

Your pads look like these to me, like the link you shared:

How about these instead?

The inner opening is ~5.6mm. The hight of the stock pads is ~5.8mm so these are a bit shorter but much wider. The foam is softer than that of the stock pads so they can be bent a little. My ears also touch slightly, but much less and more gently. 
Here are photos for comparison.
I believe it is important to keep the height of the original pads in order not to change the signature too much. 
The ones you have found seem larger - may be a good thing... cannot say. Cannot see well the height from the photo, could be a bit shallow...
With the shallower Denon 2000 pads with only slightly bigger hole the bass got an additional boost and the highs became too strong.  

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #9,985 of 12,086
Interesting. 

So, does anyone here have any measurements with different pads? Now I'm curious whether I'm getting I'm getting the best experience with the Ori/Omni pads. 

If I understand correctly, someone here has tried the HM5/Brainwavz sheepskin pads, and reports that they sound appreciably worse? 

I'm debating whether I should try Alpha Pads or the Dekoni Sheepskins. The Dekonis are interesting because they're very close (if not identical) in shape to the stock pads. 

If anyone has compared multiple pads, I'd definitely be interested in your impressions.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #9,986 of 12,086
The Dekoni lambskin pads are smaller than stock TH-X00 pads in their opening and fit like the stock pads, not a true over ear pad. Sound very similar to stock, which is not my preference. The stock Purplehearts have quite an EXCESS of bass with some bloat and could stand to loose some to help improve their whole frequency range. That's why I like the J Money lambskin pads that were originally from my Denon AH-D2000 - they reduced the bass volume some, but improve everything else about the bass and the entire frequency range. Gets rid of some bloat, and make everything clearer and more detailed across the board. They still have a REDICULOUS level of bass, but better in quality. Cost me nothing because I already had them on my D2000; when new and available they were around $85. The J Money pads are almost exactly identical in dimensions to the ZMF Ori pads.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #9,987 of 12,086
My latest take on the pad rolling thing ... Just wanted to report as my massdrop zmf purchase just arrived. Bought both styles.

Holy cow these things are fantastic! They have great acoustics. Totally transformed my Final Sonorous VI from being my least comfortable or played or liked headphone to now one of the most comfortable and one of the best sounding I have! Ori works best on that of course.

As I also bought and had the Eikon pads sitting around not doing anything, having three sets of TH-X00 mounting rings, and one set of Dekoni focus rings (prototypes), thought I'd play around a little.

While I didn't like the Eikon alone (too much bass lost, and a bit of lower treble scratchiness remenicint of what I got with the noname thick Chinese naugahide pads) ... addition of the Dekoni nylon focusing plate clones to the Eikon pads are complete serendipitous synergy!

Usually to me that plate with the oval cutout coupled with the smaller oval ear opening of the stock pads or Dekoni replacements would darken the tone a good deal, squelch treble and detail across the spectrum. But the larger opening of the Eikon let's the music breath and be airy after the focusing plate does its thing, smoothing without squelching the treble (for once I thought the treble sounded better than no plate and any pad), or sucking out the bass! Litterally the best of all worlds. Sounds like an open headphone (not pseudo open that it is) with great bass.

I used to be a Ether flat pad fan on the TH-X00. Still am. But the Eikon pad plus either stock focusing plate (if you cut yours out of your stock pads) or the clones Dekoni sells, is just pure gold and one-ups my previous favorite . Really loving this! I do not think I've heard my TH-X00 mahagonys sound better.

Oh, and the comfort is out of this world.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #9,988 of 12,086
My latest take on the pad rolling thing ... Just wanted to report as my massdrop zmf purchase just arrived. Bought both styles.

Holy cow these things are fantastic! They have great acoustics. Totally transformed my Final Sonorous VI from being my least comfortable or played or liked headphone to now one of the most comfortable and one of the best sounding I have! Ori works best on that of course.

As I also bought and had the Eikon pads sitting around not doing anything, having three sets of TH-X00 mounting rings, and one set of Dekoni focus rings (prototypes), thought I'd play around a little.

While I didn't like the Eikon alone (too much bass lost, and a bit of lower treble scratchiness remenicint of what I got with the noname thick Chinese naugahide pads) ... addition of the Dekoni nylon focusing plate clones to the Eikon pads are complete serendipitous synergy!

Usually to me that plate with the oval cutout coupled with the smaller oval ear opening of the stock pads or Dekoni replacements would darken the tone a good deal, squelch treble and detail across the spectrum. But the larger opening of the Eikon let's the music breath and be airy after the focusing plate does its thing, smoothing without squelching the treble (for once I thought the treble sounded better than no plate and any pad), or sucking out the bass! Litterally the best of all worlds. Sounds like an open headphone (not pseudo open that it is) with great bass.

I used to be a Ether flat pad fan on the TH-X00. Still am. But the Eikon pad plus either stock focusing plate (if you cut yours out of your stock pads) or the clones Dekoni sells, is just pure gold and one-ups my previous favorite . Really loving this! I do not think I've heard my TH-X00 mahagonys sound better.

Did anyone ever try the paper insert plates I made? I have the focus plates to but prefer the paper inserts. I will try to get them tested at CanJam.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #9,989 of 12,086
Did anyone ever try the paper insert plates I made? I have the focus plates to but prefer the paper inserts. I will try to get them tested at CanJam.

Have not. You think they're more rigid than the Dekoni clone? I thing they resonate, but I'm not sure. Stock plates are rigid and inert.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #9,990 of 12,086

Interesting. Where do you get those plates? Can you provide a link for us in the US?

My Ori pad/stock plate combo is doing great for me, but I'm definitely intrigued by this combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back