Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #9,946 of 12,087
Has anyone compared the TH-X00 w/ Lawton Stage 1 mods vs the EMU Teak? I really love the Teaks, but I wonder whether the Lawton mods can improve the TH-X00 further. Any links to FR graphs are appreciated.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #9,947 of 12,087
  Get the ebony cups. #notwhatyouwantedtohear

Not sure the ebony cups would change the FR response the way I want them to...
According to the graphs posted, all TH-X00s (Mahogany / Ebony / Purpleheart) have rolled off sub-bass:

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #9,948 of 12,087

Not sure the ebony cups would change the FR response the way I want them to...
According to the graphs posted, all TH-X00s (Mahogany / Ebony / Purpleheart) have rolled off sub-bass:

Well, as an owner of the TH-X00 EB, I feel confident saying the sub-bass is incredible. Certainly more authoritative than any actual subwoofer I've ever owned. But also, keep in mind that graph starts at 10Hz, which is below human hearing. The actual roll-off at 20Hz is minimal on the EB (only a few dB below the peak at ~30Hz.) Your ears might tell a different story if you're looking for sheer volume or frequency response. But in terms of quality, I find they raise the bar significantly.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #9,949 of 12,087
I guess 3 options for third-party pad upgrades.

Dekoni
ZMF Ori
Brainwavz

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/zmf-pads-for-fostex-and-audeze/talk

In the discussion, there's a comparison between Ori and Dekoni. Ori is more open and produces much different sound whereas Dekoni is a more straight up upgrade of the stock pads. Haven't read enough about Brainwavz

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #9,950 of 12,087
  I guess 3 options for third-party pad upgrades.

Dekoni
ZMF Ori
Brainwavz

In the discussion, there's a comparison between Ori and Dekoni. Ori is more open and produces much different sound whereas Dekoni is a more straight up upgrade of the stock pads. Haven't read enough about Brainwavz

Several people like the MrSpeakers Alpha Pads as well. They are equally excellent.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #9,951 of 12,087

Several people like the MrSpeakers Alpha Pads as well. They are equally excellent.

I can second this....

beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #9,952 of 12,087
  Well, as an owner of the TH-X00 EB, I feel confident saying the sub-bass is incredible. Certainly more authoritative than any actual subwoofer I've ever owned. But also, keep in mind that graph starts at 10Hz, which is below human hearing. The actual roll-off at 20Hz is minimal on the EB (only a few dB below the peak at ~30Hz.) Your ears might tell a different story if you're looking for sheer volume or frequency response. But in terms of quality, I find they raise the bar significantly.

Thanks for your feedback on the EB version.
Thing is I got used to the bass of the V-Moda M-100s. 
Yes the bass is less controlled than the TH-X00s, but it (and sub-bass more specifically) is overall louder.

I think I need to give a listen to the TH-900s as these do not seems to have the same kind of roll-off in the very low end.

To be continued...

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #9,953 of 12,087

Thanks for your feedback on the EB version.
Thing is I got used to the bass of the V-Moda M-100s. 
Yes the bass is less controlled than the TH-X00s, but it (and sub-bass more specifically) is overall louder.

I think I need to give a listen to the TH-900s as these do not seems to have the same kind of roll-off in the very low end.

To be continued...

When you're coming from super bassy headphones (like the M-100s), you sometimes need to give your brain some time to re-adjust. I love powerful bass that's tight, fast and powerful. I do not like slow, muddy bass that bleeds into the mid-range, however. 

From what I've heard and read, the Fostex TH-Series do a great job of this. It's easy to get a large quantity of bass; it's altogether different to get bass that's of high quantity and quality. I know "quality" is subjective, but I would just say to try to get acclimated to the Ebonys. Once you get used to higher-quality bass, bassy cans with poorer definition start to sound flawed in comparison. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #9,954 of 12,087

I guess 4 options for third-party pad upgrades.

Dekoni
ZMF Ori
Brainwavz
Mr Speakers Alpha Pads

Here's some comparison I found Ori vs Alpha Pads
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3wxszz/measurements_of_various_pads_on_the_thx00/

Ori vs Dekoni

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #9,955 of 12,087

I guess 4 options for third-party pad upgrades.

Dekoni
ZMF Ori
Brainwavz
Mr Speakers Alpha Pads

Here's some comparison I found Ori vs Alpha Pads
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3wxszz/measurements_of_various_pads_on_the_thx00/

Ori vs Dekoni

Well, the grandaddy of Fostex mods, Lawton, also makes very good pads. I wouldn't go for them, however, as they cost $109.

ZMF also makes new pads for their Eikon, which are similar, but slightly different from the Ori pads. 

Hah! I like complicating things. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #9,956 of 12,087

Well, the grandaddy of Fostex mods, Lawton, also makes very good pads. I wouldn't go for them, however, as they cost $109.

ZMF also makes new pads for their Eikon, which are similar, but slightly different from the Ori pads. 

Hah! I like complicating things. 

bummer... now there's more pads than I thought existed. Next thing I know it would be like being in the toothpaste aisle. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #9,957 of 12,087

@tradyblix, are the openings of the Dekoni larger than the stock pads? if larger, how much larger?  Asking since the OEM pads is my biggest problem with the TH-X00 for both comfort and sound.

No they're not larger. The pads are not designed on the TH-X00 to be circumaural, but instead on-ear. so they fit kind of half on half off. That's part of the sound design of the TH-X00, and if you want pads that are not like that it will change their sound quite a bit. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #9,959 of 12,087

bummer... now there's more pads than I thought existed. Next thing I know it would be like being in the toothpaste aisle. 

Well, better to know about all the options. 

I went with Ori pads, and I'm very happy with them. I've never heard them or Alpha Pads make any headphone sound worse. They're safer bets than the Brainwavz pads, which I like, but are very much hit-or-miss in SQ. I would scratch off the Lawtons since they're almost double the cost of the Ori, Eikons and Alpha Pads. So I would just narrow it down those three, plus the Dekoni sheepskins.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #9,960 of 12,087
When you're coming from super bassy headphones (like the M-100s), you sometimes need to give your brain some time to re-adjust. I love powerful bass that's tight, fast and powerful. I do not like slow, muddy bass that bleeds into the mid-range, however. 

From what I've heard and read, the Fostex TH-Series do a great job of this. It's easy to get a large quantity of bass; it's altogether different to get bass that's of high quantity and quality. I know "quality" is subjective, but I would just say to try to get acclimated to the Ebonys. Once you get used to higher-quality bass, bassy cans with poorer definition start to sound flawed in comparison. 

Your comment about me being used to super bassy headphones is absolutely true. This was my main concern when I ordered the TH-X00s on Massdrop: am I going to feel a little disappointed by some "relative" lack of sub bass?

I recognize that the perceived quality (definition, clarity, impact) of the bass (and sub bass) on the TH-X00 is a good level above the M-100s, I just wish it had a flatter response below 60Hz (I know I'm being picky :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back