Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #376 of 520
hope to hear of your experiences w the fenestrated pads.

i want a pair that is breathable to my ears (they sweat/get warm easily enough)
but also won't negatively affect the sound sig.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #377 of 520
please do share your impressions of the pads..pros, cons...etc
i'll prob get a pair for the next drop...unsure if hybrid or the fenestrated ones.
I am mortified with the fenestrated pads. If you wanted the sound of the Andromeda from a 10 ohm output impedance source, these are for you.

It's like someone flattened the frequency response of the TH-X00 at 500Hz and below, and then applied a -6db shelf to it. The (already scant) mids and bottom end all but evaporated, leaving me a crinkly, harsh treble. It sounded worse than the TH-X00 with leather pads and no tuning rings (which didn't sound half bad!). I'd be amazed to try them without tuning rings, as they'd sound like a laptop speaker.

Not only that, I couldn't "unhear" the crinkle in the treble when I put the leathers back on. It's like the fenestrated pads got rid of all the good stuff, and now I can't ignore the bad.

Run, run, run. Also, I have fenestrated pads for sale.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #378 of 520
I recently applied the Lawton Tune-Up (minus the cup disk) and Lawton Angle Pads to my TH-X00 PH and the difference is staggering. The sound really opens up with increased clarity, soundstage and airiness. It's not nearly as in-your-face as stock. However the bass is decreased some and the visceral impact that stock provides is also decreased. It's still strong bass though and very accurate. Comfort is way better for me as well. Just adding the Lawton pads without the tune-up/Foam in the cups makes these headphones nearly unlistenable as the treble is absolutely piercing. Overall I'm very happy with the changes and it really turns these into different headphones while still easily being able to go back to nearly stock (although I probably won't remove driver tune-up pieces).

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #379 of 520
I recently applied the Lawton Tune-Up (minus the cup disk) and Lawton Angle Pads to my TH-X00 PH and the difference is staggering. The sound really opens up with increased clarity, soundstage and airiness. It's not nearly as in-your-face as stock. However the bass is decreased some and the visceral impact that stock provides is also decreased. It's still strong bass though and very accurate. Comfort is way better for me as well. Just adding the Lawton pads without the tune-up/Foam in the cups makes these headphones nearly unlistenable as the treble is absolutely piercing. Overall I'm very happy with the changes and it really turns these into different headphones while still easily being able to go back to nearly stock (although I probably won't remove driver tune-up pieces).

question...when i see the stock fostex pads i do see the drivers at an angle already...
so how different are the lawton angled pad in other ways?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #380 of 520
question...when i see the stock fostex pads i do see the drivers at an angle already...
so how much different are the lawton angled pad in other ways?
The Lawton Pads are muchhhhhh bigger. The opening for the ear is significantly bigger and the pads are about 50% thicker.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #381 of 520
The Lawton Pads are muchhhhhh bigger. The opening for the ear is significantly bigger and the pads are about 50% thicker.

do they make one's ears still overheat/get warm, however?
hope to hear from people who've tried both the lawton pads against the stock fostex as well as the dekoni pads.
my ears get warm fast....

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #382 of 520
do they make one's ears still overheat/get warm, however?
hope to hear from people who've tried them against the stock fostex as well as the dekoni pads.
my ears get warm fast....
The Lawton pads are much more breathable and less hot than the stock pads. I think pretty much every replacement pad will be more roomy than stock however, which usually means they wont get as hot.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #383 of 520
I can only speak for myself ad everyone has different tastes and different size heads as well as different amps and such.

I picked up a set of TH-X00 Ebony and so not hear an lot of what other hear with the withdrawn mids and hollow tinny highs. I believe them to have some draw backs just like any other headphone but think they sound great on my tube amp. I really enjoy listening to them and as far as I know the only drawback will be that I have to sell them to make room for the LCD-X I just ordered.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #384 of 520
Are the ebony a vast improment over the orginal denon d5000? What about market value? Are they similar? Is the gloss finish on the ebony similar to the d7000?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #388 of 520
Tyll reviewed the Mahogany, which is the original X00. He also compared them against the Denons, E-MU Teak, Fostex TH-610, and the TH900. It provided a good baseline since you specified needing a comparison against the D5000; no, he has not measured the PH or the EB, to my knowledge.

The Mahogany, Purpleheart, and Ebony reportedly sound appreciably different. I cannot verify as I've only heard the Ebony to date. Everything except for the cups is similar between the three Massdrop variants, but that alone is enough to affect sonics. Otherwise, tonewoods wouldn't be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back