Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Mar 24, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #301 of 520
  Yes, Mahogany. That's why I added link to massdrop for ebony. They have graphs too.

My approach to graphs is to get general profile, not to seek precise representation. 

I'd read those - compare mahogany to TH-610 on innerfidelity graphs and then project difference b/w mahogany and ebony from massdrop.

That works, but it'd have been nice to get measurements all from the same source, if only for consistency's sake. Still not sure about the difference between the TH-X00 and TH-X00sn1927, but I'm reasonably sure neither is the EB. Wonder if Tyll'll pick up the PH and EB for measurement some time?

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #302 of 520
That works, but it'd have been nice to get measurements all from the same source, if only for consistency's sake. Still not sure about the difference between the TH-X00 and TH-X00sn1927, but I'm reasonably sure neither is the EB. Wonder if Tyll'll pick up the PH and EB for measurement some time?
They exist on the forum that can't be named

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #303 of 520
They exist on the forum that can't be named

Yep, saw charts for all three X00 variants, but all I got was subjective impressions on the 610s; could just be out of practice trawling forums, and missed the measurements :p

Either way, I'm perfectly happy with the X00 EB, save for a *tiny* bit of sibilance on certain tracks, so chances of my swapping em out is pretty low. I do appreciate the fact that the 610s come with detachable cables stock, though, and the walnut cups look good.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #304 of 520

Yep, saw charts for all three X00 variants, but all I got was subjective impressions on the 610s; could just be out of practice trawling forums, and missed the measurements :p

Either way, I'm perfectly happy with the X00 EB, save for a *tiny* bit of sibilance on certain tracks, so chances of my swapping em out is pretty low. I do appreciate the fact that the 610s come with detachable cables stock, though, and the walnut cups look good.

Agree on a sibilance. I EQ mine so I toned down a bit the respective freq region.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #305 of 520
The Ebony's are available again on Massdrop! Only 18hrs left until they go away again.

I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger! :L3000:

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #307 of 520
How are these better than HE-400 or V Moda M100?
Better? That's mostly a subjective term. I don't know anything about the V Modas but the TH-X00 EB are the best V-shaped cans in their price range. I haven't heard them all obviously, but they have to be. They sound insanely great. LOL. They're different from the HE-400 in almost every way in terms of design and appeal.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #308 of 520
Agree with @PopZeus , TH-X00 is a different sound signature from HD400 and M100, I've owned all three but have kept only the HE400
M100: bass is muddy and sound stage is worst of the 3, sound is too "V" shaped for me
HE400: with mods this is a really good sounding headphone, bass goes low with good detail but highs can be sibilant to some
TH-X00 (mahogany): if the ear pads fit you then these can be good, if like me that I could never get a good fit then look else where or you will need to do some pad rolling
As for "better" only you can decide this.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #309 of 520
Better? That's mostly a subjective term. I don't know anything about the V Modas but the TH-X00 EB are the best V-shaped cans in their price range. I haven't heard them all obviously, but they have to be. They sound insanely great. LOL. They're different from the HE-400 in almost every way in terms of design and appeal.

Having sampled, owned, used modded, dissected, taken apart, drivers destroyed etc. nearly all the Fostex, Denon (minus d7k) and emu headphones. The emu teak is better. The ebony is not as neutral as massdrop points it out to be. Whereas the Emu teak does U shaped right with the least amount of compromises. Not to mention its the same price with removable cables.

But to answer the question. Not as portable as the m100 but way better than he400 and m100 in all aspects.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #310 of 520

Once you get into what I call the 'entry-level high-end' of headphones, which the HE-400 and TH-X00 are part of, what's 'better' or 'best' quickly becomes completely subjective.

But I think just about everyone on Head-Fi would agree that the V-Moda M100 is definitely a step down in SQ when compared to either the HE-400 or TH-X00.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #311 of 520
The emu teak is better.

Well, I kept the Teak so if that tells you anything... That said, out of all the Massdrop variants, the EB is closest to the Teak. It just has that extra bit of fun for the hip-hop/electronic music fan, but it plays well with most guitar based music.

And fwiw, I love the original pads on the Teak. I'm gonna be bummed when I have to replace them.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #312 of 520
Well, I kept the Teak so if that tells you anything... That said, out of all the Massdrop variants, the EB is closest to the Teak. It just has that extra bit of fun for the hip-hop/electronic music fan, but it plays well with most guitar based music.

Indeed. One thing it has over the teak is that its drop dead gorgeous. The milky Madagascar Ebony man.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #313 of 520
Indeed. One thing it has over the teak is that its drop dead gorgeous. The milky Madagascar Ebony man.

Yeah, the Teaks look great with the whole brown and silver scheme but the ebony is soo nice and dark. Anyways, I do think of the Teak as more U-shaped, whereas the TH-X00 EB as a more refined "audiophile" V. The tunings kinda sit on either side of the fence. Splitting hairs in an audiophile forum... Shocking!

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #314 of 520
Thanks for the answers? You guys dont find the original HE-400 v shaped? Not as much as the V-modas, but still much more coloration in the lows and highs than say a hd600?

I quite like the M100 for the price I got it at. $150 new at Best Buy recently, I think they are blowing them out. At that price, it competes with Sennheiser HD-25 in sound quality, and the construction is good too.

Im wondering how, besides it having great bass, does the TH-X00 differ in comparison to those other headphones? Is it brighter, darker? Is there more clarity in the treble as well as having great bass. Is the bass more quality or quantity? Or both? Im confused on what it sounds like, and which of those two (V moda M100, Hifiman HE400) is closest to the TH-X00, even if the TH is much better?

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #315 of 520
output.png
Here's a he400 vs the teak

Attachments

• output.png
    output.png
    81 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back