Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Dec 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #121 of 520
Drop is on again
Did you see a maximum number? I remember them not selling all 2000 units and I'm wondering if they're just selling the rest, or if they were lying when they said there would only be 2000 units, period.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #122 of 520
Did you see a maximum number? I remember them not selling all 2000 units and I'm wondering if they're just selling the rest, or if they were lying when they said there would only be 2000 units, period.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember them saying they'd never do ebony again, but rather that they wouldn't do any additional types of wood.  Basically the comments sections had turned into "hey, please make one with X wood and a detachable cable."

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #123 of 520
I could be wrong, but I don't remember them saying they'd never do ebony again, but rather that they wouldn't do any additional types of wood.  Basically the comments sections had turned into "hey, please make one with X wood and a detachable cable."
Ah, I thought they weren't confident they could source more ebony and were hard capping at 2000.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #124 of 520
Ah, I thought they weren't confident they could source more ebony and were hard capping at 2000.

Again, my memory could be wrong, but I believe they said ebony drops would be less regular and based on sourcing. Maybe they said no guarantees of additional drops, but I don't recall them every saying "this is definitely the only drop."

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #128 of 520
I got in on this as well, and I'm trying to decide on an amp with a $200 budget. Seems like the O2, Vali 2, and Asgard 2 (second hand) would fit the bill, but I'm curious for other suggestions and experiences.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #129 of 520
I got in on this as well, and I'm trying to decide on an amp with a $200 budget. Seems like the O2, Vali 2, and Asgard 2 (second hand) would fit the bill, but I'm curious for other suggestions and experiences.

I'm listening to mine on an Asgard 2, and really dig the sound. Punchy, well-extended bass. Controlled all over. Good stuff!

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #132 of 520
They are the closest to closed can's I've owned.
They isolate a lot better than Stax lambdas, HE-400i and ATH-AD900x / 700, and somewhat better than Beyer T1.
I can listen louder with them before wife complains than with any of the above.
I can listen quieter with them without hearing wife than any of the above.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #133 of 520
How open are they?  I need a closed pair, as I don't want tom disturb my wife.

They leak more sound in than they do out. I've never had a problem with other people hearing me with them on, but anything above ambient room noise will be audible to you. You can hear people talking to you with them on fairly clearly.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #134 of 520
They leak more sound in than they do out. I've never had a problem with other people hearing me with them on, but anything above ambient room noise will be audible to you. You can hear people talking to you with them on fairly clearly.

That's good to know... I'm more worried more about sound leakage out than in.  My house tends to be relatively quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back