Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #211 of 520
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #212 of 520
  Are these only available on massdrop?

You can get them on Amazon and www.digitaldjgear.com.  If you email Tal at digitaldjgear he will give you a discount on them, at least he did for me... tal@digitaldjgear.com

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Fostex-Sheepskin-Replacement/dp/B01N2NXVJJ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1483655291&sr=8-6&keywords=dekoni

https://www.digitaldjgear.com/dekoni-audio-fostex-th900-elite-sheepskin-replacement-memory-foam-ear-pad-set.html

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #213 of 520

That is definitely not the one specially made for TH-X00. The one for TH-X00 follow the same shape as the default pads (smaller opening for ear) and I guess it is only available on Massdrop.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #214 of 520
Initial impressions:  Fun! 

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #215 of 520
Everything improves with break-in (treble smooths out and the mids get a small boost, integrating the bass and treble transitions better), but the bass pretty much rocks right out of the box. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #216 of 520
That is definitely not the one specially made for TH-X00. The one for TH-X00 follow the same shape as the default pads (smaller opening for ear) and I guess it is only available on Massdrop.

It appears that they are different.  I read somewhere that these ear pads were the same as the Massdrop pad.  I guess you shouldn't believe everything you read.
wink_face.gif

Anyway, I'm sure these will fit the TH-X00.  I'm not sure how the pads will affect the sound.  I don't own a pair to try.  I absolutely love them on my TH-900s.
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #217 of 520
I have the Dekoni pads (lambskin+memory foam filling) for the TH900, and they of course are suitable to all TH-X00 variants.
They are the best quality pads I've seen for the Fostex headphones, and will likely outlast the originals 3 to 4 times or more (my first original pads on the TH900 worn off after a year, whereas my lambskin Stax 007 pads last about a decade).

The sound is lighter in bass than the original pads (and similar to the more expensive Stax 007 pads).
IMHO they match better with the TH900 sound sig than with the TH-X00.

However, I prefer the sound of my modified TH900 pads (using carbon foam filling) over the Dekoni, at least with the TH900.
I am curious about the match with the TH-X00e, and I will relate about it after I get the ebony.

The inner diameter/opening of the Dekoni pads is smaller than the original pads opening. The Stax 007 opening is larger than the original. However, due to different foam filling, they sound and measure quite similar, except that IME the larger opening will always result in larger sound stage, so it's preferable at least for me.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #218 of 520
I have the Dekoni pads (lambskin+memory foam filling) for the TH900, and they of course are suitable to all TH-X00 variants.
They are the best quality pads I've seen for the Fostex headphones, and will likely outlast the originals 3 to 4 times or more (my first original pads on the TH900 worn off after a year, whereas my lambskin Stax 007 pads last about a decade).

The sound is lighter in bass than the original pads (and similar to the more expensive Stax 007 pads).
IMHO they match better with the TH900 sound sig than with the TH-X00.

However, I prefer the sound of my modified TH900 pads (using carbon foam filling) over the Dekoni, at least with the TH900.
I am curious about the match with the TH-X00e, and I will relate about it after I get the ebony.

The inner diameter/opening of the Dekoni pads is smaller than the original pads opening. The Stax 007 opening is larger than the original. However, due to different foam filling, they sound and measure quite similar, except that IME the larger opening will always result in larger sound stage, so it's preferable at least for me.

Please do, thanks

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #219 of 520
Got my Ebony's.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/151114687373639682/267367519487000586/IMG_20170107_120109.jpg

I can't talk about the sound yet because I'm still listening to the first song on these things, but the box was actually ****-tier. They come in a super plain Foxtex/Massdrop branded box, which is fine, but you open the box and they're basically held between some cardboard with bubblewrap around them and it's pretty "What" when opening it up.

Look at that ******* wood though. They're beautiful headphones. I wore them for about ten minutes before listening to music and they're pretty comfy. The pads are a'ight and I can see why people want to change them but I don't think I'm going to be doing that right away. They're good enough. I'm also pretty surprised at how nice the cable is. If you don't know Fostex, they basically have vacuum cleaner cables on all their high-end headphones. It's still perfectly flexible and really light though.

I will say, after briefly swapping back and forth from these to my K7XX's, I finally understand what it means to have to drive a headphone. The TH-X00 is only 25 ohm impedance and I barely have the TH-X00's at 9 o'clock on my Magni 2 Uber and it's pumping good sound. I unplug them, plug in the K7XX's (hard 62 ohm impedance), and I need to crank that bitch to get the same kind of goodness out of the K7XX's. Super easy to drive the TH-X00.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #221 of 520
Thats awesome.  Yours are a little lighter than mine.  Got mine yesterday.  They sound pretty damn good.  My only complaint is the cable.  Its just bad.  Id rather have cheap flexible rubber covered cable than this unweildy thing.

Also agree on the packaging.  

But they make great sound and look stellar!

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #222 of 520
  Thats awesome.  Yours are a little lighter than mine.  Got mine yesterday.  They sound pretty damn good.  My only complaint is the cable.  Its just bad.  Id rather have cheap flexible rubber covered cable than this unweildy thing.

Also agree on the packaging.  

But they make great sound and look stellar!

I took that picture directly under my fan so there is a lot of light to make out the detail. I took them into a more naturally lit room and you can still make out the nice grain but it's not so in-your-face that way.

Maybe I'm just forgiving when it comes to cables or maybe it's the way my desk is setup. I don't mind it. Normally I hate braided cables too but that is more when it comes to mice than headphones so a much different application of it.

Definitely liking the sound of it. This is my first 100% music headphone and it's proving to be a good buy, although I'm not even halfway into what I'd like to listen to before talking about it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #224 of 520
Its taking my ears some time to adjust to them.  Been using lcd2's for the past 3 years.  Less mids more trebble.  These do however show up my dt770 pros by a good bit

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #225 of 520
Happy to see new EB owners from the last drop chime in with their thoughts.

ETA: Caught myself repeating, uh, myself out of sheer enthusiasm. Suffice it to say, my only concern going forward is having to replace the pads and losing the original sound of the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back