Maryland Meet at Hirsch's -- Impressions
Jun 6, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I liked the gilmore lite, there was a knob misisng however.

Thats because thats the new lite (new version, different then the one on the site), and it's not done yet.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #47 of 100
Since it seems to be a tradition to provide 'impressions', almost an expectancy, if you will --- here is mine:

I would like to thank(again) Hirsch for his hospitality.

I also give thanks to the contributing members of the meeting, that provided such a wide gamut of headphones to evaluate.

I enjoyed the sound produced by the Stax Omega II headphone. I can not say that I particulary liked anything else, except the MDR-CD3000(which I already own). I liked the Omega II significantly more then the MDR-CD3000. This is irrelevant to anyone else, since the specific sound one likes is subjective. But, it does seem to be a tradition to share such impressions on this forum. I did initially state that I do not usually report such subjective impressions, when prompted by Hirsch at the meeting that he would"'be looking forward to my impressions". However, for those that find such things entertaining to read(I am one of them), I decided to contribute to the thread.

I have nothing else to add.

-Chris

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
If you look at the picture of the Scout, to the left of the X-LP2 phono stage are some boxes on the bookshelf. That's the start of the tube collection. The boxes visible are part of my 6SN7 collection (there are a few more boxes higher up and on different bookcases. Then there are the other types...
tongue.gif

Seems to me a fisheye lens needs to be used or panorama
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

You guys seem to have a meet kind of freqently no? Maybe I might make the trek down there.

Who's Blue Hawaii was that? Looks good, probably sounds good also.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #49 of 100
Hirsch, you are the man. This was the best meet yet of the six meets I’ve been to. The variety of gear and enthusiasts was unequalled. It was great to see the MD folks once again-these guys don’t fool around when it comes to headphones. I wasn’t the one with the farthest drive this time. We actually had folks from NC to NY, not to mention Doug who flew in from Ecuador just to see us (okay maybe he wanted to see his folks too…nah it was definitely for the headphones
wink.gif
).

I actually learned a lot about the gear and I ended up spending a good amount of time listening to gear. I’ll tell you guys about a few things that I concentrated on:

Stax & Senn Electrostatic Headphones.

Omega 2’s are a pain the ass. When they are not the mood they suck but when they wake up and sound good they are unbelievable. I am typing write now listening to Mahler 4 on my Omegas and I am amazed how good it sounds. Most of guys know about the KGSS that zzz built for me and didn’t work out well. I just received a Headamp KGSS on Thursday evening and it took until Saturday evening to get the Omega 2’s warmed up again. When the Omega 2’s are not warmed up they exhibit a dynamic compression that makes everything sound muddy and confused. When they “awaken” in their fully charged state they are extremely coherent, wide open, and full in the bass. Yes, full in the bass. Tight, extended, and textured bass. From now on the KGSS and Omega 2’s are getting left on 24/7 so I can instantly enjoy their listening pleasure.

The Stax table was the best table in the house, thanks to Justin Wilson from Headamp. He is a good guy and has done a really nice with the Gilmore designs. We got a chance to compare the Blue Hawaii with the KGSS and surprisingly they were close in quality. The Blue Hawaii offered a more liquid presentation but it didn’t seem to offer more details. I’d have to listen at home to better describe the differences, but both the Headamp KGSS and Blue Hawaii are world class amplifiers. The electrostats were driven balanced by my Wadia 301 and Steve’s Meridian G08 which I’ll get into later.

The other electrostatic headphones were sounding pretty sweet too. The Stax 404 does not have the finesse and transparency of the Omega 2 but it does indeed have a lot to offer. The 303/SRM-313 (System 3030) was also surprisingly pretty sweet. I listened for just a few minutes out of the APL modded Pioneer DV-563 and the balance and attack was impressive, particularly for the price that the 3030 system goes for.

The HE-60 baby Orpheus is always a crowd pleaser and yesterday was no exception. It has an amazing clarity and speed that sounds remarkably different than the Stax line. I would say that it has a very similar sound signature to the HE-90. My only issue with this headphone is that it has the tendency to sound thin sometimes, however with the Meridian G08 and Gilmore Blue Hawaii the HE-60 sounded the best I have ever heard it. Amazing value for its price on the used market. I would consider buying one.

Sony R-10
I am happy that I ultimately didn’t find it to be my perfect headphone because this one is waaay too expensive. The midrange and treble and incredible an organic richness and dynamic attack but everything below the midrange was missing. I have heard good bass out of the R-10s but the R-10 is way too picky about amplifiers for me to get involved. I have heard good bass with Hirsch’s Supra and a tung sol in the driver tube position, however it wasn’t warmed up when I tried it.

Grado PS-1

Damn, who turned the subwoofer on? The bass is crazy. Insane. The PS-1 had the potential to sound boomy, however with the Gilmore Reference it was just right. Amazing dynamics, details, and smoothness. It’s like an RS-1 is supposed to sound. It’s actually closer in sound to the RS-1 than the HP-1000. It does everything that the RS-1 does well, but takes away the quirks that the RS-1 has, like the bright treble and odd bass resonances. I want one. Taylor was right on when he said if you combined the dynamic bass attack of the PS-1 with the spatial presentation of the midrange and treble in the R-10 you would have the perfect headphone.

Singlepower amps

I am a Singlepower amp fan, so I had to mention them. I brought my PPX3 (there were 2 others there) and I think it was a hit. The PPX3 is one of the most enjoyable amplifiers to listen to regardless of price and I won’t be selling mine anytime soon. Sounded great with both the Senn HD-650 and Grado PS-1. Meech also had his Maestro which sounded great and of course, Hirsch’s Supra (the one that started it all) and Supra-X.

Sources: Wadia 301 vs. Meridian G08

Ok, I love my Wadia 301. I think it sounds great, but I was very impressed with the Meridian G08. The Meridian was a better player, no question. The KGSS & Blue Hawaii/Omega 2 & HE-60 were great tools to have a shoot out between these players. The Meridian is a classy looking player and the pictures do not do it justice. More important than the looks though, is the sound. The Meridian took the show with its smooth liquid midrange, yet it was more solid in the bass than the Wadia and offered a more open and detailed top end. Even though it was smooth, the Meridian missed none of the dynamic attack that I like so much about the Wadia. At the $4000 level the Meridian G08 is the one. I have a feeling that the G08 is a big improvement over the 508 because I did not have the same reaction in NY with the 508/Stealth and 508/Singlepower Maestro. I still love the Wadia and it is sounding incredible as I type, however I may purchase a G08 sometime in the next few months if I find that sack of money I hid in the closet
smily_headphones1.gif

Reel to Reel

I also had a great time with mkmelt's reel to reel player. He played some Grateful Dead using my PPX3 and Senn 650s. The midrange had a similar purity that I heard on Hirsch's VPI Scout. Once I got past the small amount of tape noise and tape degredation or wow and flutter, it was great.

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #50 of 100
Brian, is my jacket in the backseat of your car?
tongue.gif

The 'napping' Omega IIs were funny, IMHO. On the 007t with the SR-404, they were good, but once they moved to the Meridian and Gilmore electrostatics, it was even better. Everyone was passing them around, whoever had them on at the moment had a big grin.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #51 of 100
Sadly, I could not make this meet due to another obligation in PA and it was just too much to try and do both.

However, there were some serious pieces present and I am most interested in anyone's impressions of the high-end sources there. How good were the Wadia, MF, and Meridian players relative to all the other digital sources there?

I'm kicking myself for not being there, but I had to sit it out in order to stay happily married.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #52 of 100
Here’s some of my impressions from the meet. Keep in mind that time spent with the equipments were brief and meet conditions are hardly ideal for comparison.

Electrostatics - Sennheiser HE60 and Stax 404
Some members suggested that they prefer the Stax 404 to the “Baby Orpheus.” I dissent. I found the Sennheiser to be more “open” sounding than the 404. Using both phones out of the Stax amp and the same Wadia source, the 404 seems to be muddier sounding. The HE60 is much airier, clearer and lighter sounding (Ok I admit that I really like airier sounding equipments). The HE60 sounded smooth and had the hallmark Sennheiser sound of the 580/600/650 series. But, I could discern a mark improvement by the HE60 over the 600/650. Music reproduction through the HE60 sounded much more effortless. There is a relaxed sparkle in the treble that the 600/650 lacked.

I didn’t have a chance to check out the Stax Omegas – someone was always wearing em. So, I can’t comment on how the HE60 would stack up against the Omegas.

Speaker phones – AKG 1000

Oh my! These are something to behold. IMO, the design is ugly as hell but it is sonically beautiful. I labeled these babies as speakerphones because that what they really are: mini-speakers attached to your head. Soundstage on the AKG is probably as close to loudspeakers as you can get on a “headphone” system. That’s because the drivers swivels out an inch or so in-front of your ears. The drivers can be manually swiveled to press closer to your ears or completely flared out at a ~60 degree angle in front of the ears. After some experimentation I preferred the drivers to be closer to my ears (about 40 degrees). With drivers completely flared out, the AKG’s soundstage is at its best, but I found the overall sound to be a bit thin and shrill. When the drivers were closer to my ears, the bass response improved and the phones sounded more balanced.

Definitely a must try for any headphone enthusiast. But I must say that the sound might not be for everyone. One member fell in love with the AKG. I feel sorry for his wallet.
icon10.gif

Meet a cure for upgraditis

Truly! While most folks might come out of a meet drooling over some new equipment, I actually came home much more content about my current system. For sometime now, upgraditis had been bugging me to get the HD650 + Equinox or Cardas. The meet helped satiate this hunger by showing me that the difference between the HD600 and HD650 is not that great. The HD650 does some things better than the HD600, but IMO the reverse is also true. I found that I really liked the HD600’s airier sound.

Some listening to the cables also suggest that the stock HD600 cables are sonically quite good. I couldn’t really discern much of a difference between the Olehbach and stock. However, the Cardas does appear to take away some of the HD600’s upper mid-range sibilance.

So, instead of getting the HD650 + Equinox, I’ll be keeping my HD600 and getting the Cardas to take away some of its flaws. Add new cushions, you’ll see one happy Ticky humming away with his “new” phones.

Also, all the expensive tube amps and CDP at the meet sounded absolutely gorgeous. But, IMO my current setup gives me – at least to my unsophisticated ears – approximately 80% of the sound quality at less than ½ the price.

Until something breaks – or if Sennheiser decides to crank out more HE60s - no more upgrades for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Dusty Chalk said...

c - dhwilkin -- sorry I missed you, buddy, I was the one with the really long hair. Not sure which one you were. Thanks for bringing the MF NuVista -- OMG, what an amazing player! Made everything smoov as silk. Again, if lottery, then I will buy one, but right now it's out of my price league. Thanks for the opportunity to listen to it.

Glad you enjoyed the NuVista, I'm quite fond of it myself! Not sure if I bumped into you at the meet or not. We'll have to meet up next time. I had short, black hair, glasses, and a very dark blue shirt, though w/ the group that was there, that probably doesn't narrow it down much, heh. Sorry I couldn't go looking for people, you were one of the guys I was looking forward to meeting. But, w/ my time being constrained by the long drive home and realizing just how much great stuff was there I hadn't heard, I really ended up only talking to a few people by chance. On that note, it was great talking w/ meech and WmAx, two people I didn't know about until the meet. Hirsch, of course, is the man as well.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #54 of 100
First off, let me note that this was my first meet, and I had to travel 5+ hours to get there, so I wanted to get the biggest bang for my buck. In my case, this meant focusing on mostly the high-end stuff, which I never see around my area. So, if you're looking for impressions of portable or entry-level equipment, you won't find much of interest in this post.

Due to the fact that there was so much equipment I'd never heard before, my impressions will be of overall systems by necessity. Where possible, I will highlight the performance of individual components.

Systems:
Computer setup (??? soundcard -> Art DI/O -> Earmax Pro -> CD3000): This setup was going to have to work to get my approval, since I had to do a good deal of work helping Hirsch troubleshoot the darned thing in the first place. It did not succeed. MP3 files were being streamed across the LAN, and the sound seemed ok. Didn't do anything really bad, just didn't capture my attention or do much really well, either. I was also listening to random artists at the time, so that probably didn't help my reaction to this setup. Since I got a better handle on the CD3000 and DI/O later, my guess is either I didn't care for the EMP in the chain, or the MP3 format was lacking.

SACD setup (Sony 9000 -> PPX3 -> Senn 600): Only had a real brief listen to this, just one song off Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven. But I was pretty impressed. This combination was very rich, vivid, and airy, just drew me in, even though I usually don't care for the laidback sound of the 600. If only all my music could be well-done in SACD format...

Blockhead setup (Meridian G08 -> Blockhead -> Grado RS-1): I didn't expect this to do much for me, and I was right. I need a proper soundstage, and the Grado "wall-o-sound" just doesn't do it for me, no matter how well-driven. Also need circumaural headphones, another strike against the Grados. On the positive side, I was surprised that the vocals sounded pretty natural and overall the sound was pretty balanced. Not the overly warm presentation I was expecting from the RS-series. I regret I didn't get to hear the Blockhead->650 combination, but oh well.

End-table setup (??? -> PPX3 -> CD3000): I can't remember what the cdp was at the end of the table by the back door. Big black cdp, "Audio ???". This sounded reasonably impressive, better on instrumental music than vocals. Think I got a better handle on the character of the CD3000 here, as I remember thinking the big and slightly bloomy bass, and detailed treble, were pretty impressive. Midrange was just kinda there, good but not great. Frequencies seemed like seperate layers, rather than one integrated whole. Initially impressive, but would likely get tiresome later. I talked to WmAx about this, and if the filters he put in his CD3000 managed to integrate the frequencies, I could see myself liking the CD3000 more, though still not as much as my W2002.

Airplane setup (CD-ROM -> Art DI/O -> Fisher receiver -> K1000):
redface.gif
I take back all the bad things I ever said about the K1000 being the ugliest headphone ever. It's actually not that bad in person, and much smaller than I thought. It's simply not photogenic. The sound was also pretty nice. I was very, very impressed by how defined and palpable female vocals were on this setup, few things get my attention faster. Also thought there was a reasonable amount of bass. On the downsides, the treble seemed a bit steely, and while I wasn't specifically listening for it, complex passages seemed kinda muddled (an impression later confirmed by meech).

Stax minor-league setup (Wadia 301 -> 007t -> SR-404): Pretty nice, clean sound. Didn't really hold my interest, though. Also, in place of my K1000 bashing, these earspeakers now get the dubious honor of being the ugliest headphone technology in existence.
evil_smiley.gif

Stax major-league setup (Wadia 301 -> 007t -> Omega 2):
eek.gif
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! From what I understand, when I listened to them, they were still warming up, and weren't even using one of the Gilmore amps. In spite of that, I heard a crystal-clear sound that let the emotion of the music through, along w/ some quite adequate bass and a good, airy soundstage. Vocals were palpable and not lacking in richness. I can only imagine how they would've sounded after being fully charged. I want an Omega 2 system now, to complement my dynamic rig.

Baby Orpheus minor-league setup (Wadia 301 -> 007t -> HE60): Very nice. Big soundstage, very clear, great at micro-details. Nice, full-sounding bass as well.

Baby Orpheus major-league setup (Wadia 301 -> Blue Hawaii -> HE60): For instrumental and classical music, this was the best setup I heard. So airy, yet so precise, one might almost say ethereal. I wish I could've stuck around to hear the Omega 2 on the Blue Hawaii, I'm pretty sure the Omega 2 would've sounded much better, unbelievable as that may be.

R10 in Hirsch's setup (Creek CD-53 -> Supra -> R10): Anybody that has bass problems w/ the R10 needs to talk to Hirsch. There was definitely no lack of bass on this system. The sound was interesting. You know how some systems seem to have smoothness filters applied? This system had "realism" filters applied. Most instruments sounded "live", as opposed to being recorded in a studio. Depending on your tastes, this may or may not be to your liking. I probably didn't describe that clearly enough, but it's the best description I can think of right now. In my case, I thought something was missing from this setup, like the emotion of the music wasn't quite shining through. I also was expecting a bigger soundstage, though imaging was certainly very precise. Objectively, a very good sounding system, though not quite to my tastes.

R10 in my setup (MF NuVista -> Headroom Max (old version) -> R10): I was quite interested in hearing the R10 in my system, lucky to have gotten the chance. My system is pretty smooth (though definitely not lacking in detail or resolution), somewhat airy, deep/wide soundstage, slight tendency to the warm and bassy side of neutral, and always lets the emotion of the music shine through. All this came through the R10, confirming the impression that the R10 is a very transparent headphone. However, the great bass the R10 had on Hirsch's system was MIA on mine, which was the only disappointment. If the bass problem could somehow be fixed, I would somewhat prefer the R10 over my W2002... if the price differential was reasonably close. But for the price differential, there is no way I'm getting a R10. Though I am thinking about upgrading to a Leatherhead in the distant future.

In conclusion: The R10 is very good, but definitely not in a league of its own; the Supra line of amps are great at getting out of the way of the music and I really liked them (though I wish I could've heard meech's Maestro Supra); I'm pleased my setup more than held its own (IMO) against all the other dynamic setups I got to hear; I WILL own an Omega 2 + Blue Hawaii setup in the future; all you people listen REALLY FRICKIN' LOUD!!!
eek.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 100
I’ll post some pics later, but I wanted to get some impressions down. My pics are going to be redundant with those already posted, anyway.

Now that the Grado Labs meet has got space for people to move around comfortably, it was up to somebody else to find a way to pack people in too crowded and too hot. I was up to the task.
wink.gif
Once the tubes lit up, my place was overloaded. Still, we all had fun, and IMO it was worth it to talk to people and hear the gear. I had a great time.

Musical Fidelity NuVista CD player. Wow! This has got both the build quality and the sound to back it up. Possibly my favorite source at the meet. Somebody who posts regularly at Audio Asylum should post a link to this. It will make Sam Tellig very happy
tongue.gif

Headamp.com had a full lineup present. There was a KGSS (Kevin Gilmore Solid State) and Blue Hawaii (Gilmore hybrid electrostatic design) and Gilmore Balanced Reference dynamic headphone amp. The KGSS was Canman’s. Justin built the other two for a customer, but received permission to show them. Justin’s amps have come a very long way since the Gilmore v1. The electrostatic amps are both fantastic. I need to compare in a less chaotic environment. I think both designs are capable of dynamics and soundstage that the SRM-007t cannot achieve. The Blue Hawaii had a darker sonic signature than the KGSS. However, I felt that these two amps were very similar qualitatively. I’m not entirely sure that the Blue Hawaii is worth $1K more than the KGSS. The sound is too close. I am sure that these are both superb electrostatic amps that are well worth the money if you want the most out of your electrostatic headphones. The KGSS is a serious bargain at its price.

Headroom was generous enough to send a Blockhead for us to hear. Their generosity makes this next section difficult to write. However, I call it as I hear it, and I think that being silent could be more damaging than writing this. Headroom, this is your wake-up call. The Blockhead was connected to a Meridian G08, which is a superb player that sounded good with any other amp we connected to it. However, the Blockhead sounded…average. It’s not that it was bad, far from it. However, at its price, it needs to inspire. It didn’t. Headroom sent a Blockhead demo to an early meet a couple of years ago, when Headamp first came out with the Gilmore v1. At that time, I noted that the v1 sounded great, and looked like it would pose a challenge to the Headroom lineup. The Blockhead hasn’t changed. However, while Headroom has been standing still at its high end, other amp builders have not. The Gilmore Balanced Reference had better dynamics, separation, and air than the Blockhead could manage. It was a clear KO. Using the same source components and headphones, the Blockhead wasn’t competitive sonically. There are a lot of amp designers putting new and better amps on the market on a regular basis. Standing still isn’t enough. If you’re not moving forward, you’ll get left in someone else’s dust.

Stax Omega II. The secret to hearing them sound good seems simple. Don’t try to listen to them before 7:30 pm. It’s that easy. Both times I’ve heard them at my place, they were a bit congested and unfocused early on. At around 7:30, they wake up and you can hear what the headphone is all about. Big image, great sense of space and dynamics, and loads of bass. I need one of these sooner or later. I may never truly become a member of the Stax mafia, however, because it just isn’t my favorite can. That remains the R10. The Omega II has a good chance of entering my top three, though. The current holders of the 2 and 3 spots are the HE60 and PS-1. The HE60 has a very different type of sound than the Omega II, and it’s got a balance I particularly like. This may be a case where one headphone is technically better, but just doesn’t ring my chimes. If someone offered me a trade of an Omega II for the HE60, I’d be sweating bullets…and I might or might not make the trade.

Best bargain in electrostatic cans today: Stax 3030 system. Dave1 brought his SRM-313/SR-303 combo, and it’s a winner. Add a good source, and you’re done. You get almost all of the performance of the SR-404/SRM-007t at a fraction of the price. What’s not to like?

I agree with the comments made about the Wadia and the Meridian. However, there’s a hidden joker in the deck that is part of what people were hearing. The weekend before, I realized that I was short on power cords. I wrote Igor at K-Works, and asked if he could send me two Empowered PC’s very quickly. He did, and I had them in time for the meet. I also had some time to put this cord on the Meridian and listen to it before the meet. The K-Works Empowered PC locked onto the Meridian like no other cable I have. I had been going through all of the power cords available to me to see if I could find one that would leave the high end open while putting some real body into the midrange. The Empowered PC was the one. The Wadia 301 does not react the same way to the K-works cord. Mine seems to sound best with a PS Audio Lab II power cord. Both of these players are very sensitive to the entire power chain, including power conditioners and power cords. The K-Works Empowered PC is an important part of what people were hearing with the Meridian, IMO.

People were telling me that the Carlo-modified Melos SHA-1 was sounding better than they had heard it before. They were praising the Wadia that was driving it. But the Wadia was again only half the story. The Wadia has only one set of analog outputs, and they were connected to the first Supra. The Wadia’s digital output was connected to an Ack! dAck! that was feeding the Melos. The Ack! dAck! is serious, folks. This is a $525 DAC that can be A/B’d to the Wadia 301 or Meridian G08, and not concede anything. I’m not going to go so far as to say it’s better, but I will say that this is the class in which it performs. It will outperform a lesser player. It loses very little connected to a Toshiba 3960 (although it is better with the Wadia, or EAD Ultradisc 2000, IMO). It's embarrasing just how much better this DAC is compared to the straight output of the Toshiba. This amazing DAC does not upsample. It has no brickwall or digital filters. It is a straight 44.1 digital decoder. Battery power relieves it of the vagaries of AC current. A short, simple signal path with as little as possible in the way of the sound. This little DAC works. Dave1 bought the demo sent to the meet, but I’m getting one also. I heard this a bit at the Grado Labs meet, but didn’t really appreciate exactly how good it was until I heard it in my own system. Bozebuttons suggested that I get a demo for the meet, and it was a fantastic suggestion. At $525, you simply can’t go wrong with this. This is one of my budget surprises of the meet.

People were commenting on my Scout setup also. I had just added a little tweak that gets my other budget surprise of the meet nod. This one came from K-Works, along with the power cords. It’s called the Ersamat, and it’s an add-on mat I was using on my Scout. One of the things that it does is to electrically ground itself to the spindle, greatly reducing RF noise. What I heard with this mat was a dramatic drop in the noise floor. This was not subtle. Everything sounded more vivid to me. This is a relative inexpensive ($50) tweak that has a drastic effect on an acrylic platter. If you’ve got a Scout, or another table with an acrylic platter (or a felt mat) you need to try this. I’m not kidding. It’s that good.

Jacek brought his EAR 834P phono stage to try with the Scout. This phono amp had Mullard tubes in it, and the caps had been upgraded to Auricaps. This is a big improvement for the 834P, IMO. Wonderful sound! My cartridge (Dynavector Gold L) needs a phono amp with lots of gain, and the 834P was able to deliver the goods. Very clean, with just a tad of tube warmth.

SinglePower Maestro ZR. My next amp from SinglePower is either going to be this, or the big Supra in NY. The one in NY was the best R10 amp I’ve ever heard. I tried to get my R10 to the Maestro, but the line was too long
tongue.gif
Even so, what I did hear was almost enough to distract me from the big Supra. If it sounds as good with the R10 as the big Supra did, I may change direction.

There were three iterations of the PPX-3 present, and all three of them sounded great. IMO if you’re looking for an amp in the $500 range, this is it. I haven't heard anything else in that price range that I could recommend as a comparable value.

There was a lot more present that I really didn’t get a chance to hear. It will have to wait for the next meet. I hope that everyone who came had as good a time as I did!

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #56 of 100
Did you guys have the SR-71 prototype from Samuels? If yes, comsider me all the more jealous that I could not make it out to Hirsch's place. Sounds like it was a great time and chock-full of sweet gear. Maybe next time...

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
Did you guys have the SR-71 prototype from Samuels? If yes, comsider me all the more jealous that I could not make it out to Hirsch's place. Sounds like it was a great time and chock-full of sweet gear. Maybe next time...

Not at this one. I enjoyed its appearance at the Chicago meet, hopefully there will be one at the next MD meet.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #58 of 100
awesome meet. this was an absolutely insane collection of gear! there was so much great stuff here, i totally overloaded my ears, but i just couldn't stand to take a break
smily_headphones1.gif
it was nice to see familiar faces and lots of new ones. all of the attendees again proved head-fi to be a fun, relaxed, sharing community. obviously we all salivate over the gear, but it wouldn't be a meet without people. huge thanks to hirsch for hosting and graciously packing his apt to capacity and beyond. some impressions:

one of my primary goals for this meet was to give the rs-1s a closer listen, as i have been considering them as my next headphone. i tried them in a few different setups, and found i still like my 225s more. there was a certain stuffiness in the midrange which seemed to obscure much of the top end, which i have become fixated on since getting the etys. oh well, the search continues.

the ps-1s on the other hand, are definitely something special. hearing these on the wadia/gilmore ref combo was probably my favorite sound of the meet. all of the distinctive grado strengths without any of the usual tonal balance problems. i did find them to be a bit bass-heavy on the sha-1. i briefly compared them to my 225s, which held up pretty well, especially considering they're about 1/7 the cost. the ps-1s are a big step up in separation, detail, clarity, and extension. very nice on the gilmore lite as well. i wish i had thought to compare that amp to my perreaux.

all of the electrostats sounded great on the the gilmore amps. big thanks to justin from headamp for bringing the three heavyweights. i really liked the baby o this time, so clear and quick. the o2s again lived up to their reputation as one of, if not the, best headphone out there. but alas, so very far from reach...

the 650/zu sounded excellent on meech's sony/singlepower combo. cavernous bass (too much for me on some recordings), huge soundstage. it really is amazing how much potential dwells within these relatively modestly-priced cans. i didn't analyze too closely (which is probably because it sounded great
smily_headphones1.gif
), but i don't recall being bothered by the infamous veil like i am with the 600s on my home rig.

right next door to the maestro was steveo's g08 driving the fabeled blockhead. this was a disappointment for me. it had many of the strengths of meech's setup, but none of the character. i can't quite put my finger on it; nothing was really bad per se... perhaps my expectations were too high. the meridian was definitely not at fault, as it showed it's own true, brilliant colors later on when paired with the gilmores/electrostats. minor complaints: the balanced chord on the rs-1s splits too close to the cans, and the amp was not equipped with stepped attenuators, which is really a must for a balanced amp, as evidenced by the superior usability of the gilmores. oh and i couldn't hook up my etys for reference
etysmile.gif

speaking of which, i was very happy with how the etys performed on everything i hooked them up to. i brought along some cdrs with tracks i have eq'ed for the etys. it was very helpful having them around to compare various gear. honestly, they provided some of my most memorable listens at this meet, but i think that can be chalked up to the isolation from the noisey environment. there were no bass deficiencies when being driven by the beefier amps present.

i was blown away by mkmelt's reel tape setup. i think i spent more time here than on anything else. are you experienced was played from end to end
600smile.gif
this was a nice parallel to my lengthy vpi scout session with hirsch's electric ladyland lp at the last meet. the two analog setups share many strengths. perhaps most apparently, the imaging/separation is fantastic compared to redbook (can't comment on sacd, dvd, hdcd). very smooth sound, but so realistic as it displays a huge amount of detail. fat bass and enchanting mids. listening was done mostly with senns. if i had the cash to start collecting tapes, i would grab one of these machines in an instant. as always, mkmelt was forthcoming with his encyclopedic knowledge of the gear. very informative.

other notables included the ack dack, rkv, r10/supra/creek, earmax pro, ppx3s. things i wish i had time for included the hr2 and vpi scout.

thanks again to hirsch and everyone who came out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
hey anyone try the earmax with the ps-1's?

I use the Earmax Pro with the PS-1 at work. The amp drives the headphone very nicely. My source is the weakest link (Nomad Zen, with Homegrown Audio Silver Lace interconnects and Radio Shack adapter), but it's not bad, and certainly beats carrying around a suitcase of CD's
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back