Maryland Meet at Hirsch's -- Impressions
Jun 7, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #76 of 100
Juan,

Well maybe it was good that you were otherwise engaged hehe. At one point Hirsch and I realized that we should have called you to tell you what a great meet we were having, but I didn't think of it till around 8.

I am loving the Ack! We can get together and listen whenever you want, oh that's right, assuming that you don't have any family birthdays, anniversaries, national holidays, religious holidays, or anything else that day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
Hey Dave,

Yeah, keep rubbing salt on the wound buddy....

Congrats on the Ack!! I sincerely don't think that specific unit was going back to the manufacturer: either Hirsch, or myself would have had to sacrifice and keep it around, but I am glad it was you
tongue.gif
. I'll ask you at some point in the future to bring it over to do some listening.

Jun 8, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #77 of 100
Hey, Juan, we missed you. But that's okay, gave me more time with the turntable. Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
hehe, looks like you guys enjoyed my amps at the meet.
biggrin.gif
I ordered the Blue Hawaii and the gilmore balanced reference from Justin but since I was going to be in japan for a short vacation when they were going to be delivered and he asked me whether he could take them to the meet, I didn't hesitate to give him permission.

hope you treated them nicely and I'll receive them in mint condition.
biggrin.gif
nice impressions btw.

Hey, thanks a lot for letting us listen to them -- they were exquisite beyond words. I'm sure you'll be very happy with them. Some of the best sound of the meet (second only to the Maestro -- hey, Hirsch, remind me next time to ask you about the "big Supra", I want to know what you're talking about...is it a maxed out Supra? Was it really comparable to the Maestro?) -- I agree with the assessment that the Blue Hawaii was comparable to the other one that it was underneath/on-top-of.

So everyone -- remind me again, which one was which? The Blue Hawaii was the solid state one, the other one was the tubed one?

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #79 of 100
Here's some brief impressions:

First of all, there was so much equipment and so many people, I didn't do very much critical listening. Once again I got wrapped up in enjoying the people that I didn't do as much listening as I wanted to. Of the things that I did get to hear, here's some of my impressions.

Meridian G08: My god this is one pretty looking piece of machinery. Pictures don't do it justice at all. I got a chance to listen to listen player with the Blockhead and with the Maestro. I enjoyed it in both setups. It had a a very powerful sound and a nice full midrange. I didn't care for the balanced RS-1's too much. It seems like no matter what source or what amp you used, the RS-1s always seem a little bright up top (some things never change).

Musical Fidelity NuVista/Headroom Max/ Audio Technica AT100ti: VERY VERY NICE !!!!! I was really impressed with this combination. The Nuvist added a certain degree of air and space to every cd I loaded into it. It was being powered by the Headroom Max which I had heard previously and didn't care for. This player magically opens up everything. Not to mention it's killer looks. I spent most of my time here with a pair of Audio Technica AT100ti's (I think that's the model. They were the royal blue ones). I was very impressed with these cans. They had really good bass response and the treble was as clean as can be. I was about to put on a vocal disk when I got the look from someone that told me that I had obviously been spending too much time with these cans. I honestly didn't even realize it because I was enjoying them so much. I think I sat in that chair with that system (along with Sonic1) for about 20 minutes straight.
eek.gif

Akg K1000's: I ALMOST WET MY PANTS !!!!!!!!!!! From the first note of Norah Jones 'Come away with me', I was in love. I mean REALLY in love. Norah was really singing to ME. Yes it was a really private moment I was having. Although though all of her band member were there playing along, she was singing to me, and it was great. This was the BEST vocal presentation I have ever heard. The amp was Hirsch's old restored Fisher and the source was some sort of CD Rom I believe. The amp was underpowered to push the k1000s but ya' know what, it didn't matter. There was so much air and seperation between the instruments. Norah's voice was smooth when SHE wanted it to be and raspy at her discretion also. The K1000s didn't have the kind of bass that I usually like but I swear it didn't matter. Nothing mattered, nothing but the private concert that I was getting Norah and the band. I must get a pair of these. Even if I only use them vocal acoustic music and vocals, they're still worth every penny!
k1000smile.gif

I didn't get to spend much time with the Stax/HE60 KGSS/Blue Hawaii setups because there always seemed to be a crowd of people in that area. I did steal a quick listen to the Baby O's for a second though. These cans were extremely transparent. You get out what you put in. Once again though, I prefer a little more bass in my music. Not that they don't produce good bass I just don't think it was enough bass. I will have to spend some more time with them next time.

I gotta run,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,be right back.

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #80 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
Musical Fidelity NuVista/Headroom Max/ Audio Technica AT100ti: VERY VERY NICE !!!!! I was really impressed with this combination. The Nuvist added a certain degree of air and space to every cd I loaded into it. It was being powered by the Headroom Max which I had heard previously and didn't care for. This player magically opens up everything. Not to mention it's killer looks. I spent most of my time here with a pair of Audio Technica AT100ti's (I think that's the model. They were the royal blue ones). I was very impressed with these cans. They had really good bass response and the treble was as clean as can be. I was about to put on a vocal disk when I got the look from someone that told me that I had obviously been spending too much time with these cans. I honestly didn't even realize it because I was enjoying them so much. I think I sat in that chair with that system (along with Sonic1) for about 20 minutes straight.
eek.gif

Heh, there I was all ready to leave and Meech is sitting with my headphones on in a complete trance. I'll take that as a positive review.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #81 of 100
The following pictures were taken by me, Stevieo and Dave1. I have no idea who took what
tongue.gif

jmeet01.JPG

jmeet02.JPG

jmeet03.JPG

jmeet04.JPG

jmeet05.JPG

jmeet06.JPG

jmeet07.JPG

jmeet08.JPG

jmeet09.JPG

jmeet10.JPG

jmeet11.JPG

jmeet12.JPG

jmeet13.JPG

jmeet14.JPG

jmeet15.JPG

jmeet16.JPG

jmeet17.JPG

jmeet18.JPG

jmeet19.JPG

jmeet20.JPG

jmeet21.JPG

jmeet22.JPG

jmeet23.JPG

jmeet24.JPG

jmeet25.JPG

jmeet26.JPG

jmeet27.JPG

jmeet28.JPG

jmeet29.JPG

jmeet30.JPG

jmeet31.JPG

jmeet32.JPG

jmeet33.JPG

jmeet34.JPG

jmeet35.JPG

jmeet36.JPG

jmeet37.JPG

jmeet38.JPG

jmeet39.JPG

jmeet40.JPG

jmeet41.JPG

jmeet42.JPG

jmeet43.JPG

jmeet44.JPG

jmeet45.JPG

jmeet46.JPG

Jun 11, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #83 of 100
Those that wanted got to hear choice selections from my collection of factory reel tapes. The most popular tape I had on hand was a copy of the Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced. Some other reel tapes that people requested and got to hear included Mile Davis - Kind of Blue, Grateful Dead - Live Dead (Dark Star) and American Beauty, Beatles - Abbey Road, Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out, and Cream - Disraeli Gears.

Most of the reel tape listening was done with Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650 phones, either directly connected to the Ampex deck or to my Marantz 1070 amplifier. Other phones tried included the Grado PS-1 and Beyer DT-880. As usual, the Marantz was a better match for the high impedance phones. Not really sure about how the Grado phones sounded when plugged into the Ampex headphone output (this particular Ampex deck has a built in 6-1/2 watt per channel solid state amplifier and also has a headphone jack). Late in the meet I played Truckin' from American Beauty with the output being fed to a PPX3 Single Power amplifier. I was using my Sennheiser HD-600 and I believe that Brian was using his HD-650 phones.

Jun 11, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #84 of 100
hmm, i liked to hear miles davis..what about classical orchestral music?
which reel to reel tapes are the best..i like vinyl, but it seems (i'm not for sure) that reel to reel is a better option. what's you're experience?

greets,

stan

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #85 of 100
Me with the bloodshot-looking eyes, meech standing reaching
Me, prostrating myself to the Nu-Vista
DT770+Maestro==insane bass -- just on the out-side of control
Dave1 and I seeing whether or not the Stax do, indeed, rock (answer: yes!)
OMG, I have a bald spot! (ServingInEcuador on the floor, mkmelt in the back left, taylor in the back right)
Ah, the best sound of the meet
No, wait, let me try this again...'Hi, Diane, long time, no see'...no, that won't work...
Am I evil? Yes, I am!
The more I look at pictures like this, the more I love this color scheme
The other best sound of the meet
Notice my complete ommission in this picture

Alright, this last one deserves a little explanation. This picture must have been taken shortly after 7:30, because I was in the next room listening to vinyl, and the next room very audibly went quiet. Shortly followed was the sounds of jaws dropping as each person listened to the Omega II/2(?)'s one after the other.

Of course, they chose this time to shut the system down, because, other than the owner, no-one owned this system, and it was just too depressing to listen to, not owning it. When I came out, they told me about it, but by then it was too late. The electrostatics had already discharged, and what I heard was actual snoring noises coming from them...oh, well, one of these days, I'll hear what the others are talking about...in the meantime, I am perfectly happy with Dave1's system, and will probably pick that up.

EDIT: Not literally his system, but rather, one just like it.

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #88 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
http://moehoward9000.home.mindspring.com/jmeet21.JPG

what kind of interconnects are those??? the silver crystal looking ones

those are sexy, i must have

If you mean the ones with two runs of plastic tubes with the curly silver wire inside, and the bullet plugs, those are Bogdan Silver Spirit Reference. They are very good sounding cables. In the pictures they look crystal looking but they are not.They are two solid silver wires run through two clear plastic tubes with a wood divider in the middle of the cable. You can go on www.audiogon.com and go to Bogdan and you will see a more realistic looking picture of them there. Is Bogdan still making the Silver Princess? He doesnt advertise them anymore now that the new line of cables is out.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #89 of 100
I don't think he means the blue-ish looking ones, I think he means the white-ish looking ones (in the picture -- IRL, they are: transparent, and silver-crystal-looking, and yes they're sexy, and no I don't know whut they are...'ll have to ask Hirsch).

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I don't think he means the blue-ish looking ones, I think he means the white-ish looking ones (in the picture -- IRL, they are: transparent, and silver-crystal-looking, and yes they're sexy, and no I don't know whut they are...'ll have to ask Hirsch).

I see the ones you're talking about. (The whitish ones from the single ended Wadia 301 outputs?) I know they were going from the Wadia 301 to the Gilmore Reference, but not sure who makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back