Maryland Meet at Hirsch's -- Impressions
Jun 6, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #31 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
anyone try the new gilmore lite, impressions?

also, what's the vintage gear under the k1000/creepy head?

its a fischer i believe. dont know anything else

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #32 of 100
I was unfortunately only at the meet for about two hours, but was happy to meet a few people and check out some pretty nice gear.

I purposely avoided some of the best gear at the meet, ie. the PS-1, OmegaII, HE60, R10, etc but did go as far as trying out the W2002 on the Maestro/Sony 555ES setup. Quite nice, I have to say. I actually liked the 2002s a bit more than the HD650s on the same setup. It could also have been the comparison between the jaw-crunching tightness on my large head as compared to the lambskin love of the W2002s. The Stax 303s were very good through a modded 563A and Stax 313 amp, and I'm generally finding myself to be an electrostatic fan.

I wanted to try out the PPX3 but didn't have the opportunity to, so that was a bit disappointing -- I tried to play it on one setup but the CD player didn't like my CD-R.

I also think meech listened to my A100Ti's longer than I did.
icon10.gif

Certainly a good time, next time I hope I'll be able to stick around for longer.

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #34 of 100
Well, Hirsch has outdone himself with this one. My opinion was that this was the best DC meet ever (sorry Juan). Great people, tons of new gear.

Many incredible setups. Top setups include Hirsch's (numerous) Meech (Sony 555-Maestro was great) Canman (Wadia- KGSS- Omega 2s) and several others.

The Omega 2s really did take a while to get going. It wasn't until the bulk of the conventioneers had gone until they woke up, but then, they were untouchable.

The Blue Hawaii was very nice, but not in a different class than the KDSS.

My new favorite $$$$ source is the Meridian G08. Almost worth the money.

I liked the Ack! Dack! so much I bought it.

I appreciate the effort all the out of townwers made to come. It was great spending time with all of you.

Thanks again to our generous host for opening his home to a marauding horde once again.

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Team Stax grows larger and larger....

- Chris

look out a few months from now for hearing damage linked to repetitive stress trauma caused by low frequencies ...

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #36 of 100
i was one of the last to arrive, at around 2, and my initial impression when the door opened was: "how am i going to get in?"

yeah, i wasn't expecting that many. hirsh has decided not to host one at his home should it ever get higher than 25. it was a great meet though. disappointed that i didn't get to hear all the gears and meet with everyone. but there was just too many people and gear to introduce myself with, in that time frame, that it was impossible. also wished i had remembered a few more names and faces.

expressions:

the ppx3 is really something, esp with the senns hd600. even with all the hype, it never fails to surprise me how good this amp is.

i remember liking the cd3000 a lot more. but i think after listenning to only the senns for the past two month, my ears cant handle its brightness. which is weird because i use to be, and slightly still am, a huge grado fan. that's why the one phone i purposely avoided was the ps-1. why tempt myself to something i can never ever afford, right?

the toshiba is great, i was really surprised at how good that tiny player is for $60.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
Grado PS-1: There are around six of these in the US, and 3 of them were in Hirschs place. These guys were awesome out of the Gilmore Reference that Justin from Headamp brought. Too bad they didn't have balanced capability, so we could not use the Gilmore References balanced mode.

The PS-1s pick up a lot of depth to their soundstage when driven fully balanced, it's a much different experience.

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #40 of 100
Hey guys,

First and foremost, thanks to Hirsch for having us. Your hospitality and generousity does not go unnoticed.
biggrin.gif

I had a great time meeting all of you guys(I will not post names due to fear of leaving someone out
wink.gif
). It was also nice to see some familiar faces again.

I will post some impressions later today once I wake up
wink.gif
. Here's a few more pics for now.

5fb1c57b.jpg

bd3510c9.jpg

2fd7d6e0.jpg

45efff7e.jpg

01fab56e.jpg

872c2430.jpg

fc7e6f7f.jpg

a89fd284.jpg

2537e9c9.jpg

71ed5881.jpg

1fcc195a.jpg

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
anyone try the new gilmore lite, impressions?

also, what's the vintage gear under the k1000/creepy head?

The thing driving the K1000s is a vintage tube amp called the Fisher 400.

I liked the gilmore lite, there was a knob misisng however. It was a nice little amp and drove all of the cans I tried with it (SR-225s, PS-1s HD-650s) well. I don't think it was as good as some of the other amps, but certainly a good choice for $250. I could easily see myself putting together one of those in the future.

I took some pictures too, behold!

HPIM0209.jpg

Blockhead/G08
Maestro/CD555ES
KGSS/Blue Hawaii/Wadia 301

HPIM0210.jpg

NEX 3XP>Headphile Digital Coax>CI Audio VDA-1 with VAC-1 PS > Kimber cables > HR-2 > Oelbach > HD600

HPIM0211.jpg

Same setup, different angle.

HPIM0212.jpg

Wadia 301, Melos amp, Singlepower prototype, 007t. Art DI/O, HEV70, SR-404, there's Omega IIs conencted too but they were on my head.

HPIM0213.jpg

The VPI Scout, through some Musical Fidelity stuff, into 007t and O2/SR-404. That setup rocked!

HPIM0214.jpg

The Omega II and SR-404 next to eachother, both were conencted to the 007t.

HPIM0215.jpg

From the center, counter clockwise:
PPX3, CD3K, Pioneer DVDP (That bad boy gave us quite a scare when the left channel was distorted, everyone thought that one of the RCA cleartops in the PPX3 was toast), Stax SRM-313, Ack Dack, something I can't make out, AT woodies, AT A1000, EAD cdp below a PPX3, HD600/650, AKG K340, AT A900

HPIM0216.jpg

Another pic of the Blockhead/G08 and Maestro/CD555ES

HPIM0217.jpg

Wadia 301, KGSS, Blue Hawaii, Gilmore Reference, PS-1s. Connected to the amps are a SR-404 and HE60.

HPIM0218.jpg

Amprex reel tape player with Marantz reciever. Later on we hooked the tape player up to the PPX3 and HD600s and listened to Grateful Dead. It was great.

HPIM0219.jpg

PS-1

HPIM0220.jpg

Blockhead and G08 into HD600s. The Meridian was really cool.

HPIM0221.jpg

Justin from headamp looking Hirschs huge DVD collection.

HPIM0222.jpg

NEC 602 > Art DIO > Unidentified box > Fisher 400 > K1000. In the background is Hirschs huge collection of vinyl.

Edited because 1) I can't spell and 2) I figured out that the thing on top of the EAD was a PPX3.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #42 of 100
Any pics of Hirsch's tubes?
biggrin.gif

Looks like it was an awesome meet. Sadly I didn't follow the thread and didn't know some people from around the area were going. I would've gone down with them. Next time.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #43 of 100
Lan,

My apologies, I'm really sorry. I completely forgot how close you are to me. I could have used the company for the trip and you would have enjoyed yourself.

I owe you one.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #44 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Any pics of Hirsch's tubes?
biggrin.gif

If you look at the picture of the Scout, to the left of the X-LP2 phono stage are some boxes on the bookshelf. That's the start of the tube collection. The boxes visible are part of my 6SN7 collection (there are a few more boxes higher up and on different bookcases. Then there are the other types...
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #45 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Anyone compare the W100's and the A900's?

thrice and I were going back and forth for a while between my A900's and his W100's -- he can doubtless give you a more articulate comparison, since he had the foresight to bring a notebook and take copious notes on everything he listened to.

I found the W100's very smooth, rich, and warm, especially in the mids and highs. The A900's were crisper and brighter, and I'm remembering them as being a bit tighter in the bass as well. With the W100's, I found myself missing some of the treble energy that I'm used to in the A900's, but the W100 is a much more impressive phone all-around. (Of course, this meet was also my first chance to hear my own A900's on decent amps and sources, and that was an eye-opener as well -- I'm happier with them than ever.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back