Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #6,481 of 6,783
I used the pads AS IS without any further modification. I also kept the mounting posts that come inside the pair of pads. I'll add more pics sometime tomorrow.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #6,482 of 6,783
That explains the difficulty installing them.  I made one attempt at doing it with the plastic inserts and said "nope!"  Then I ran across the first impressions of QC3 pads and (maybe it was pata, I don't remember) comparing several mixes of foams and covers, so I tried several combos and found that I like ML foam plus QC3 cover the best myself.

In fact, the best part of this mod is that with QC3 pads and leftover ML pad parts, you have several different options to choose from to dial in the sound you like, so it is a customize-able mod.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #6,483 of 6,783
Well after extending the life of my earpads as long as I could by sewing and gluing them repeatedly, I finally went a bought some of those Bose QC3 pads. I bought two pairs since I anticipated tearing and I was right - one of them tore from the inside while I was putting it on. Unfortunately after a few weeks, the pads that weren't torn on application have been tearing from the inside. No rough handling or anything. The pads are just that bit too small to fit properly and the stretching is to much for the inside mesh to take. I also used the original foam, which was a tight fit, and that has probably contributed to the tearing.

So, onward with the search for decent replacements that are similar to the originals. I'm not really keen the donut-type pads like those HD25 pads, I'm rather looking for something closer to the original pads (as I thought the Bose would be) if possible. I'm not looking for a more "open" or "airy" sound. I just want the old Mikros sound. Would the KEF M500 pads maybe fit or are the dimensions totally different?

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #6,484 of 6,783
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Syllable-G600-Wireless-Earphones-Headphones-With-Microphone-Bluetooth-4-0-Over-ear-Stereo-Handfree-Headset/32631547078.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.40.Ztj05c&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_9999,searchweb201603_1&btsid=628e46c0-8b46-4db4-b41e-0f0c5cb7e699

looks promising those pads?

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #6,485 of 6,783
http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_431999.html?wid=21

u guys explored this yet? 

( just received this...emphasized bass, enveloping sound, vocals still coming thru,
more for pop, dance, hiphop kind of music? 4bucks..looks great..a steal )

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #6,486 of 6,783
http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_327728.html

accidentally bought this ED9 too...this tinybullet of an iem is CRYSTAL sounding...
pure, energetic..quite balanced.  Listening to classical music now on this..:p

i suspect MLfans would love this. 8bucks.. (crazy right>>??)

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #6,487 of 6,783
Dec 5, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #6,488 of 6,783
Didnt know its "open"..lolz
Bot afew more ...other models jus out of curiosity.
Xduoo x10 dap...another price/sound breakthru ??
My pocket is on its knees...arghhh

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #6,489 of 6,783
  Well after extending the life of my earpads as long as I could by sewing and gluing them repeatedly, I finally went a bought some of those Bose QC3 pads. I bought two pairs since I anticipated tearing and I was right - one of them tore from the inside while I was putting it on. Unfortunately after a few weeks, the pads that weren't torn on application have been tearing from the inside. No rough handling or anything. The pads are just that bit too small to fit properly and the stretching is to much for the inside mesh to take. I also used the original foam, which was a tight fit, and that has probably contributed to the tearing.

So, onward with the search for decent replacements that are similar to the originals. I'm not really keen the donut-type pads like those HD25 pads, I'm rather looking for something closer to the original pads (as I thought the Bose would be) if possible. I'm not looking for a more "open" or "airy" sound. I just want the old Mikros sound. Would the KEF M500 pads maybe fit or are the dimensions totally different?

I know I'm super late to the party on this @hatefulsandwich but, when using the QC3 pads I've never had a problem with them breaking down.  In fact my original QC3 pads are still in perfect shape and I installed those over 7 months ago.

However, I remove the plastic ring/support and padding that comes with the QC3 pads, and only use the ML memory foam and the external QC3 pad cover.

If they are ripping on you and you have been using the plastic ring that come with the QC3 pads like niron, you should really try again with only the external pad cover and the ML memory foam, especially for $5.

To me, the QC3 pads sound exactly like the stock pads, when stock is in that perfect found-only-twice-in-a-lifetime position.  I think when people were hearing some massive shift in SQ from QC3, they were really hearing stock in perfect position that they never found on stock, honestly, because that's what I found in my own testing.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #6,490 of 6,783
I know I'm super late to the party on this @hatefulsandwich
but, when using the QC3 pads I've never had a problem with them breaking down.  In fact my original QC3 pads are still in perfect shape and I installed those over 7 months ago.

However, I remove the plastic ring/support and padding that comes with the QC3 pads, and only use the ML memory foam and the external QC3 pad cover.

If they are ripping on you and you have been using the plastic ring that come with the QC3 pads like niron, you should really try again with only the external pad cover and the ML memory foam, especially for $5.

To me, the QC3 pads sound exactly like the stock pads, when stock is in that perfect found-only-twice-in-a-lifetime position.  I think when people were hearing some massive shift in SQ from QC3, they were really hearing stock in perfect position that they never found on stock, honestly, because that's what I found in my own testing.

Thanks for the response. did remove the plastic before installing them, also used the original foam. The ones I bought weren't originals, though - just cheaper after-market pads.

What I landed up doing was removing the little mesh coverings that were tearing off and just gluing in some foam from replacement Koss Porta Pro pads I had also ordered. This worked out great and while there is probably some change or the other in the sound that some might find unacceptable, I'm perfectly happy. the drivers are protected and the earpads provide that weird suction-seal of the originals.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #6,491 of 6,783
The suction seal is the good. 
cool.gif

Glad you were able to sort it out!!

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #6,493 of 6,783
Should I get them or save up for other headphones.

These suck, why would you buy them. Save up that $90 or 60, and use that money properly without getting a headphone that Martin Logan distanced itself from because they suck. Fite me

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #6,494 of 6,783
Still enjoying the Mikros 90, but am selling off all but my single best stock pair (with Ted's UPOCC silver cable).

Current inventory:
King Sound H-03 w/M-10 SS amplifier,
Martin Logan Mikros 90 (stock configuration w/recable),
Harman Kardon CL (w/recable),
1More Quad Drivers IEMs (the jury is still out on these),
. . . various and sundry Monk+ earbuds (mostly for gift give-aways).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back