Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #6,496 of 6,783
Time for a Mikros 90 reunion!
. . . or mini Reunion?

AH! Remembering this thread in its thrilling--yet, alas! all-too-brief--hey-day . . .

OK, how many of you all STILL own and enjoy the Mighty Martin Logan Mikros 90?
I, for one, STILL do, being left with my best stock pair and the "Spacey Bassy" modded pair.
Also, finally picked up a pair of the Mikros 70 IEMs, which should be arriving in a few days.

Am currently listening to the HK CL portables (w/Ted's Headfood UPOCC recable), but that will change soon--right after this song ["Will You Say You Will", from the Gary Burton/Pat Metheny REUNION album! (Get it?)]

The modded Mikros 90 are now strapped on and the "magic" is back! Keepers: 4+ years and counting . . . and STILL going strong.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6,497 of 6,783
Swapped cables: Ted's Headfood silver UPOCC to replace the copper. Things got better. Lastly, swapped in my best stock pair with the silver recable. Things are getting better yet. This is maybe my 5th iteration of Gary Burton's "Reunion" album (streamed 24/192 off Amazon).

Lors? Elvergun? PredatorZ? WaynesWorld? Beagle? Maxx? drj?
C'mon, we juss gotta do the Reunion concert, even if they hafta wheel us out onta stage on gurneys!

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #6,499 of 6,783
INFORMAL COMPARISON between HifiMan HE-560 (V1) and Martin Logan Mikros 90:

Having good success with the HE-560 paired with the Lehmann BCL. The Lehmann is set at maximum gain, with the volume knob dialed about 65% to 70%. Also, the HE-560 (mine are the Version 1) are recabled with the CablePro "Vitality" upgrade, which is no slouch by any means.

Am informallya/b-ing the HE-560 against my dynamic reference: the Martin Logan Mikros 90 with HeadphoneLounge UPOCC silver recable (and Viablue terminations). Even though the MLs are portables, they exhibit exceptional tonal purity and are capable of resolving very fine detail.

My one audio nit to pick with HifiMan (and this was true for the HE-6, too) has been the way high frequency, in cymbals for example, is rendered. It just has never sounded quite right to me.

Am presently auditioning the Bill Evans Trio, a live recording of "My Foolish Heart". I am finding the HE-560 a bit reticent, perhaps a touch cold and closed in, while rendering the intricate brush work on the snare and cymbal. Even though the HE-560 makes it easy for me to trace the circular movement of the brush on the drum head, the connective interface between brush and head seems to lack that last bit of body and resolution--"proper synergistic outgrowth", if you will..

It could be the amping, although the Lehmann seems to have plenty of "grunt" to spare while driving the HifiMan. The HE-560 sounded fine with the all-tube SinglePower MPX3 and the hybrid Bada PH-12 (w/upgrades done by Fitz), but didn't seem to get quite enough push from those amps. Running the 560 balanced directly from the speaker outputs of the (50 wpc) Linn Intek integrated was fine for a while, too, but ultimately sounded too lean/sharp and "overwound" tonally and dynamically. The 560s just could not seem to "let go" in either critical respect.

Again, auditioning John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme, Part IV-Psalm", The HE-560 sound a bit cold and distant, with that last bit of tonal color/sheen from the cymbals left unexpressed, that last bit of ultrafine rattle in Coltrane's reed stifled.

Thelonius Monk Quartet, "Bye-Ya" or "Monk's Dream (Take 3)": detailed and lively a listen as it is with the HE-560, sounds a tad stark--again, not as tonally credible as I think it should be.

While perhaps not as spacious a treatment nor as adept in performer-individuation with the Mikros 90, I still give the nod to the MLs on these tracks for resolving plenty of detail, and for simultaneously preserving musicality without veering too far analytically (as the HifiMan seem to do by comparison).

Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew": again, for reasons aforementioned, [caveat: with this particular component arrangement and with my ears] I prefer the Mikros 90.

Please don't misunderstand me: the HifiMan HE-560 are a first class set of cans. If, however, the Martin Logan Mikros 90 were not on hand--and, more importantly, on the head!--the HE-560's Achilles' heel would not have been exposed and subsequently targeted. Needless to say, I conclude this thread listening to "Bright Mississippi (Take 3)" whilst in the firm grip (both mechanically and musically) of perhaps the most under appreciated overachievers ever to grace these august Head Fi threads.

Mikros 90 . . . 'nuff said!

Gear Train:
Lenovo G50 laptop/streaming 24/192 from Amazon Music-->AQ Jitterbug-->USB Disruptor/DaBigGenius-->Emotiva Little Ego dac-->Signal Cable OR AudioQuest Pipeline 3.5mm to 2x RCA hook-up-->Lehmann BCL-->DakiOm F273 Audio Feedback Stabilizer-->Synergistic Research HOT [my asbestos suit is at the ready]-->*HeadphoneLounge silver UPOCC cable (Viablue)-->Martin Logan Mikros 90 OR *CablePro Vitality (Furutech)-->HifiMan HE-560 (V1).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #6,500 of 6,783
Ha! I've been on vacation, so haven't been online much lately. But heck yeah I still have my 90's! I will honour them with a listen when I'm back home. But I'm pretty sure that my "Sounds awesome, but gotta wear them in reverse to stay on the head, and then the clamping force is too intense for me" mantra will also come out. Regardless, they do indeed sound awesome and look forward to my reunion!

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #6,501 of 6,783
Welcome back! [I am humming "Oh, Canada" as we speak.]

:beerchug:

This one's on me, and for you, WaynesWorld!

I notice that the beer glasses have gotten appreciably smaller since we last hoisted a few together on this thread.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,502 of 6,783
I still use Mikros as my main headphones when I'm on a buss, train and such. For actual portability I prefer headphones that don't take 30 seconds to get a right fit. As far the sound goes...these are still great. For the $50 these were sold it was and absolute bargain. I love the balance of sound. Nothing is overdone, nothing is missing (except for the soundstage and thus final imaging).

Other than that these don't get much headtime. Some cheaper headphones (modded bosshifi b6 and b7) have gotten most of my attention. And those don't get much headtime either. I've been suffering on upgraditis for couple of years and I'm still stuck with my dx1000. For my taste jvc's just tic all the boxes.

Anyway...Mikros still in use quite often. And DAMN... Mikros when fully closed are one of the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen. Feminine teardrop design with masculine black blearther and silver linings. Love it. Shame it looks better than it behaves in use.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #6,508 of 6,783
Picked up a pair of Ultrasone Proline 2500 for "old time sake". They are, still, a great-sounding pair of open headphones.
a/b-ed them with the Mikros 90: Lenovo G50-->Emotiva Little Ego DAC-->KMF Audio desktop amplifier. Used the Nucleotide UP-OCC copper cable with the Proline, and the Teds HeadPhood UP-OCC silver cable with the Martin Logans.
As good as the Ultrasones sounded, the Mikros 90 simply bettered the Proline 2500 in every respect--including overall soundstage size. Such realism and musicality with the MLs.
STILL my favorites!

[Just got the KGSS amp in for the Stax SR-507: we'll see how the Stax "stacks' up.]

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #6,509 of 6,783
Mikros still have The right balance of sound and I love them for that. These are also one of The most beautiful headphones ever.

However I'm just Fed up with The build quality. Hinges work so and so and I just broke a pair of pads that were hardly used. These have one of The shitties durability I've ever come across and I have owned about 200 headphones.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #6,510 of 6,783

Users who are viewing this thread

Back