Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,256 of 6,782
Hi everybody, I have tried to search all 200 pages for my questions but it was too hard :p 

I am interested in buying this headphones considering their very low price/value ratio.
I am looking for headphones for my PC station for listening music and playing games.
I usually listen to dub step,trance, electronic in general so bass is important to me.

Few questions: 
I have the gr07be, px 100 and I heard the ath m50, how do they compare  mikros 90 especially bass wise? 
My listening source will be my laptop, will those headphones lack without amp/dac? 
Are they comfortable for long listening? 

thanks !

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,257 of 6,782
Two layers of party streamer covering the left driver hole and one layer covering the right driver hole did it. Sound very much back to stock. So that's excellent.

But I will now be doing the following:

1) right driver: exposing the hole once again

2) left driver: poking holes in the double layer party streamer hole cover until the bass & sound matches the right driver

3) cups: putting back the leather and felt as per your latest modding incarnation (What? It's not in your modding post.. sluggard!)

4) enjoying them!

Btw, here's my latest source of real leather. Might even be Carven! Gotta love dollar stores lol

Looks like the premium exclusive range from Carven...back in autumn of 1987, but should giv your Mikros an old world sound :wink:

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,258 of 6,782
Hi everybody, I have tried to search all 200 pages for my questions but it was too hard :p 

I am recently got interested in buying this headphones considering their very low price.
I am looking for headphones for my PC station for listening music and playing games.
I usually listen to dub step,trance, electronic in general so bass is important to me.

Few questions: 
I have the gr07be and I heard the ath m50, how do they compare  mikros 90 especially bass wise? 
My listening source will be my laptop, will those headphones lack without amp/dac? 

thanks !

Haven't own any of these...someone can chime in...?

The stock Mikros has enough bass to satisfy a good number of followers here..it goes deep, it's textured..
Some music your earpads will reverberate.
Very easily powered, I m listening from mynipad now.
Thumping bass when I hit CHANT from FOURPLAY. :wink:

When it's new it clamps quite tight, but it loosen up within a week..or u can bend the top frame if u want.
I can wear it for 6 hours straight..fell asleep in it twice.

------------
Dammm...the fretworks, the snare drums...all hitting really tight in this album..very pleased with this latest mod.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,259 of 6,782

I am interested in buying this headphones considering their very low price/value ratio.

Few questions: 
I have the gr07be and I heard the ath m50, how do they compare  mikros 90 especially bass wise? 

thanks !

The Mikros is very similar (bass, mids and highs) to the GR07 MKII.  I have not heard the GR07be, but I assume they have a little more bass than the regular model.  If the Mikros 90 does not provide enough bass, you cal always join the modding frenzy.   A couple of bassheads have mentioned that the stock version has enough bass to keep a basshead happy.

I owned the M50 a long time ago -- all I can remember is that the bass did not satisfy me (not enough of it and it did not go down very deep). 

The 90s are pretty comfortable for an on ear portable.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #3,260 of 6,782
Dammm...the fretworks, the snare drums...all hitting really tight in this album..very pleased with this latest mod.

Refresh me please! 
biggrin.gif

These ones?...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/3135#post_10334097
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/3135#post_10334184

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,261 of 6,782
............happy...but not DELIRIOUSLY HAAAAAAAPY.. :p

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,262 of 6,782

Refresh me please! 
biggrin.gif

These ones?...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/3135#post_10334097
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/3135#post_10334184

Running thru Sergio Mendes...all the latin drummings, percussive tingtongs all sounding clear tight impactful natural on this mod..
alot of people is gonna nail this very easy mod. ENJOY man :)

The full impact of this mod can be heard in an album like this...
simple cello music..u feeeel a fuller more realistic sound emanating from that instrument.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,263 of 6,782

Few questions: 
I have the gr07be, px 100 and I heard the ath m50, how do they compare  mikros 90 especially bass wise? 

thanks !

I normally don't say this kind of thing, but the Mikros 90's absolutely blow the px100ii's (not sure about the px100's) out of the water. No contest. 

Not sure about the m50's.

They are similar to the gr07be's imo as far as refinement and balance goes. With the right cable and amp, they have as much quality bass as the gr07be's. Before going mod crazy, I was listening to mainly trance and electronic music with them and loving it.

If you're looking for price/value, these are a no brainer.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,264 of 6,782
  You guys are crazy... The bass on these is perfectly balanced, why would you want to increase it? The only thing it might need is a little bit tighter bass

Happy to see someone else likes the stock version.

I was beginning to feel very lonely...

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,265 of 6,782
Make it 80+ hours to be safe. You should notice a change by then. How are you burning them in again? I had some bass and drums tunes beating them at fairly high volumes (but not high enough to destroy anything).

Okay, I am using my usual tower pc hp out as a burning station. Guess I could hook up the auvio cable, repeat play a bass heavy track and forget about them until next Tuesday. That's what I will do.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,267 of 6,782
Thanks, and how do you compare this cable to stock one? Or other cables?

I have only compared it to the stock cable. The AQ is much thicker (about 1/4 inch) but is still fairly flexible. But since I use it for such a long length, that doesn't bother me. However it is microphonic. When it brushes on my shirt, I hear it. But I find if I pull up enough slack, I can mitigate it to the point where it's not really a problem. I find it has a nice smooth but extended high end. Strong bass and nice detailed mids. I have let it break in for about 150 hrs. At first it was kind of dull but improved nicely as time went on.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,268 of 6,782

If you're looking for price/value, these are a no brainer.

+1

The PX100-II with the iPhone control cost around the same, yet the Mikros is the much better value. 

If you need an open portable, the PX100s are hard to beat.   If you need a closed portable, the Mikros 90s are impossible to beat.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,269 of 6,782

+1

The PX100-II with the iPhone control cost the around the same, yet the Mikros is the much better value. 

If you need an open portable, the PX100s are hard to beat.   If you need a closed portable, the Mikros 90s are impossible to beat.

I was maybe a bit harsh, and I suppose that I should qualify my stance. The PX100II provides a very fun sound. But imo: the bass at times becomes boomy/uncontrolled and bleeds into the mids. The mids sound somewhat veiled, and the highs are somewhat subdued and rolled off. The 90's on the other hand have controlled bass, less recessed mids which are also more detailed, as are the highs. The 90's re much more balanced and resolving. I would say that the 90's are a definitely at a more "audiophile" level.

But, the px100ii's are very fun, and if one is looking for the same kind of sound, I'm not sure that the 90's would fit the bill, at least in stock form. Once you do the mods though, you're getting a more bassy, fuller sound which moves their signature in the direction of the px100ii's (while retaining overall balance and resolution).

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,270 of 6,782

I was maybe a bit harsh, and I suppose that I should qualify my stance. The PX100II provides a very fun sound. But imo: the bass at times becomes boomy/uncontrolled and bleeds into the mids. The mids sound somewhat veiled, and the highs are somewhat subdued and rolled off. The 90's on the other hand have controlled bass, less recessed mids which are also more detailed, as are the highs. The 90's re much more balanced and resolving. I would say that the 90's are a definitely at a more "audiophile" level.

You are absolutely right in your assessment.   That's why I would kill you if you tried to take one of my PX100s (the original version) from me.   I would only curse at you if you stole my PX100-II.  The first version is sooooo much better. 

I was able to purchase a brand new PX100 from ebay a couple of months ago since my original pair was getting a little bit rough around the edges. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back