Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,001 of 6,782
Just discovered the Out 2 on the C&C BH amp is a match made in heaven for the ML90. Hi Gain, SF and LF switches all turned on. It does tax the volume pot, but just fantastic. And the bass ... no need for me to mod I don't think. More burn in though. For anyone who might have the C&B BH.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,002 of 6,782
I was thinking the same thing, maybe it changes the quantity of the bass, which would be pretty awesome!

Then people who believe the bass mod is simply overbearing, they can adjust the bass quantity to their preferenxes. :)

Exactly! 

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,003 of 6,782
  Just discovered the Out 2 on the C&C BH amp is a match made in heaven for the ML90. Hi Gain, SF and LF switches all turned on. It does tax the volume pot, but just fantastic. And the bass ... no need for me to mod I don't think. More burn in though. For anyone who might have the C&B BH.

Congrats on the 90's btw. And it's good that you are burning them in - very important. If you think they sound good now, wait until around 80 hours. Yeah baby!

BM (Before Mods), I also had "LF on" and often the "SF on" and was floored by how good they sound. And yes, the bass was fantastic, which was one reason why I hesitated on doing the mods. You really don't need to do the mods when pairing the 90's with the BH because it sounds fantastic.

But now the mods have been done, and I am presented with bizarre and awesome new headphones. Both switches have reverted to their off position and I have gone back to the stock cable... the bass ain't need boosting any more lol!

I hadn't tried the Out 2. Trying it now.. wow, that's sounding good! Thanks for the tip!

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,004 of 6,782
No problem. For fear of destroying my pair, I am going to stick with the C&C BH/iPod combo and the switches. I am primarily using the X1s anyhow, but I do like these phones, even my stock version. I had not thought of trying Out 2 and maybe I am crazy, but it just seemed to smooth things out across all freqs. Bass is plenty for me, really, with the LF and SF switches and no EQ on the iPod, of course.

I am just going to think 80-100 hours of burn in will get me where I need to go with these, since they are not something I will be using full time around the house, more like splitting time with the X1s. But to think I got these and the X1s for about $200 is really great.

Forgot to mention, you have the X1s also. Preference between these two?

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #3,005 of 6,782
  No problem. For fear of destroying my pair, I am going to stick with the B&H/iPod combo and the switches. I am primarily using the X1s anyhow, but I do like these phones, even my stock version. I had not thought of trying Out 2 and maybe I am crazy, but it just seemed to smooth things out across all freqs. Bass is plenty for me, really, with the LF and SF switches and no EQ on the iPod, of course.

I am just going to think 80-100 hours of burn in will get me where I need to go with these, since they are not something I will be using full time around the house, more like splitting time with the X1s. But to think I got these and the X1s for about $200 is really great.

Forgot to mention, you have the X1s also. Preference between these two?

Yeah, the X1's are awesome as well. Love them both 
biggrin.gif

Edit re preferences: I will provide more input on my preferences later on once I stop being so infatuated with the 90's and when I stop ignoring my other gear lol! But I think that the X1's and the 90's compliment each other very nicely, and I won't ever be getting rid of either set.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,006 of 6,782
  DONE!

Here's a bit of a pictorial (and proof lol):

Exposed RABBIT HOLE. But what's still down that there hole? It still looks half obscured. Ain't gonna mess with that..

This is the left driver. Tricky person because of the shortness of the wire from the board to the driver. Careful does it!

This is the right driver. Much easier to work with because there is no board, and the wire is a lot longer.

The mods definitely move these puppies into bass cannon territory lol! The interesting thing though is that they handle all of that bass well without getting distorted, and the mids and highs are left intact. For the first few songs I listened to, I was basically just kind of speechless by how cool they sound. Never appreciated the bass guitar so much!

Too much bass for me? We will see after some extended listening sessions. But now that I am a mod god, it will be no problem getting back in there to experiment further. 

Thanks for all of the great photos Lorspeaker! They helped a lot.

So you did the MikrosHearThruBass mod?  Why did you pick that one, and where did you get the leather and sticky felt?

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,007 of 6,782

Yeah, the X1's are awesome as well. Love them both 
biggrin.gif

Edit re preferences: I will provide more input on my preferences later on once I stop being so infatuated with the 90's and when I stop ignoring my other gear lol! But I think that the X1's and the 90's compliment each other very nicely, and I won't ever be getting rid of either set.

Same here, I can't ever think that for the value I get from these two, even once the new toy shine wears off on the ML90s, will cause me to shed them. I've owned some pretty decent full sized and portable phones, and I laugh when I think what I paid for these two by comparison (total price that is). I almost might have to get a backup pair of the 90s, just so damn cheap. I used my $20 newegg gift card (in lieu of rebate) to knock $20 off my Turbotax price (also from newegg). Win-win.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,008 of 6,782

So you did the MikrosHearThruBass mod?  Why did you pick that one, and where did you get the leather and sticky felt?

I liked Lorspeakers eloquent description of the SQ results... they were irresistible!

Found a thrift store leather purse. It says leather. Not 100% sure though lol. The sticky felt can be bought at any dollar store (used for putting on the bottom of furniture legs). Same with the double sided sticky tape (used to hold down the leather). Got the blue tac at staples.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,009 of 6,782
  Same here, I can't ever think that for the value I get from these two, even once the new toy shine wears off on the ML90s, will cause me to shed them. I've owned some pretty decent full sized and portable phones, and I laugh when I think what I paid for these two by comparison (total price that is). I almost might have to get a backup pair of the 90s, just so damn cheap. I used my $20 newegg gift card (in lieu of rebate) to knock $20 off my Turbotax price (also from newegg). Win-win.

Yeah, I'd be rather giddy if I were you as well! I paid a bit more for my X1's but still got a good deal and would have paid more. And I paid more for my 90's than most since that's my penance for living in Canada, but they are well worth it! If I can get a good deal on some 90's, I'd like to get a backup pair as well (that I'll keep in stock form).

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #3,010 of 6,782
Now, they are connected to my home theater receiver and an endless loop of random music for the next 4-5 days.

Let us know what you think of them when you hear them after the 5 day period.

Quote:
 But I figure stretching the headband will lighten the grip.

This fixed my comfort issue.  I can wear them for hours now.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,012 of 6,782

Yeah, I'd be rather giddy if I were you as well! I paid a bit more for my X1's but still got a good deal and would have paid more. And I paid more for my 90's than most since that's my penance for living in Canada, but they are well worth it! If I can get a good deal on some 90's, I'd like to get a backup pair as well (that I'll keep in stock form).

No doubt someone here can get you a cheap pair of 90s if they are not down in price in Canada. I guess the shipping to Canada has to be part of the equation, so not much you can do.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3,013 of 6,782
No doubt someone here can get you a cheap pair of 90s if they are not down in price in Canada. I guess the shipping to Canada has to be part of the equation, so not much you can do.

I think shipping them to Canada will cost around $30.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,014 of 6,782
I think shipping them to Canada will cost around $30.

Yeah, it's $35US. Then there is also the crappy exchange rate. But if another $49 newegg.com deal pops along, I'll be sorely tempted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back