Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #2,986 of 6,783
Can u also let us know if your ipod has enuf juice to power the stock mikros...n the modded one if u do...
Thats all the assignments for now.:D

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,987 of 6,783

i am not hot on FOAMies .... 

anything arranged in a CROSS is gonna attract angels playing harps all day long :p
n demons screaming away...if they are anywhere near.
Let me know, i would be happy to hear your feedback.

Lors,
Reconfigured with the MikrosHearThruBASS mod last night.  I used a 1-7/8" circular piece of deerskin (slitted to fall flush around the screw posts, a 3/8" half moon felt piece at the bottom of the cup with the straight edge toward the center and Tacky.

The BASSSSSSS, I must say, is absolutely the best I have ever heard from any headphones.  Abysmally deep and insanely articulate!!!  Following the bass detail is as easy as following the guitars or horns, extremely well integrated.  

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

BRAVO, Lors!!!

However, I was ill-at-ease after I Tackied over the tubular headband holes [the Predator and you were discussing that yesterday].  I had just modded/battened down the right hand driver and it occurred to me that that the "headband tube port" had been closed down--dohhh!!!!, so I decided to close down the headband ports for the time-being.

The MHTB mod makes everything quiet, with intimate details emerging from a black background, but I must say that I noted a slight loss of openness in the midrange: vocals were not as transparent or "deep" as with the foam-only.  [Note that BASS was loose and tended to overhang w/the foam only, which was undesirable.]  The overall sense of largeness that I was getting with just the open cell foam disc and the headband tubes full open also diminished a bit.  It had a slightly closed-in feeling.

Tonight, God willing, I plan to reopen the headband tube ports and try to tune the midrange.  I cut the top off a Bic "round stic" cap--with my trusty Ginsu Knife [yes, folks, they will cut anything!].  The top of the cap  is vented [looking like a rounded peace sign with a small dot in the middle].  I will set the cap, vented end up inside the tubular band, and have the other end protrude just a little bit into the cup chamber.  I am hoping to fine tune the midrange, hopefully without degradation to the STELLAR MirkosHearThruBASS [by Lors, LLC, Patent Pending].  My other idea--in addition to reopening the headband tube ports--is to cut out a 1/4"-1/2" hole in the middle of the leather and put a small piece of that open cell foam directly beneath the Rabbit Hole.

Don't get me wrong, the MHTB mod is a superb, stand-alone mod.  A/B-ed against my fully burned in stock set , I definitely preferred the modded pair--so much more engaging.  But I still want to go back and try to reopen/tune the headband tube ports to regain some of that extreme sense of openness/spaciousness that the previous [foam-only/full throttle headband tubes] mod seemed to impart.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,988 of 6,783
  DONE!

The mods definitely move these puppies into bass cannon territory lol! The interesting thing though is that they handle all of that bass well without getting distorted, and the mids and highs are left intact. For the first few songs I listened to, I was basically just kind of speechless by how cool they sound. Never appreciated the bass guitar so much!

Too much bass for me? We will see after some extended listening sessions. But now that I am a mod god, it will be no problem getting back in there to experiment further. 

Thanks for all of the great photos Lorspeaker! They helped a lot.

CONGRATULATIONS,WAYNE!!!!
beerchug.gif

NOW, how do they compare with the M500???

biggrin.gif

YES!
Thank you Lors--and MAXX, wherever you are!!!

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,990 of 6,783
  hey Father PataBurd...check this out...R u using 6SN7s ??   post #3987 

Lors,
Used to run the front tube in my SinglePower MPX-3.

The tubes have been cool while I audition the Burson HA-160 and PS Audio GCHA, but I am getting ready to reignite them tonight.

Burson HA-160
Ragged, rough-cut, does not resolve well and sounds plastic--not even like real music.  I pulled it out of the loop and boxed it.  That amp actually gave me a headache!! 
Why, oh why, didn't I listen to you Lors?

PS Audio GCHA
Big soundstage, with beautiful warm and liquid mids and some of the best bass I have ever heard a SS amp reproduce.  Falls off the wagon in the HFs though.  Does not have the treble extension I would like.  It reminded me of those pictures of people walking around LA on a smoggy day: you can't see them above the collarbone--you can't hear the GCHA above the middle-ish upper-treble [too bad--the BASS is killer].

Am waiting to find a deal on the Lehmann BCL, which will be the last SS stone I turn for good while.  I am hopeful about the BCL. 

Want to fire up the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 tonight.  It should be like coming home!  I grow to appreciate that amp more and more as the years--and other amps--come and go.  I have a Hytron 6SN7GTA driver ready to go!!! 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,991 of 6,783
Patapapa...dun think i sealed off those headbandtubes..i jus bluetac around them.
I didnt know wat magic is hidden inside..
Tonite u go in n investigate...
Take the mids for the team...!!

Yaa sell tat burson beefy amp.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,992 of 6,783
Patapapa...dun think i sealed off those headbandtubes..i jus bluetac around them.
I didnt know wat magic is hidden inside..
Tonite u go in n investigate...
Take the mids for the team...!!

Yaa sell tat burson beefy amp.

My bad.
Will start by simply unTacking the headbandtubes.
Do like the Mikros 90 "acoustic suspension" version, though.  : )
Grateful Dead's "Candy Man" playing beautifully through the modded Mikros 90 on my office rig and the ET-4 cable.
True chameleons--in the best sense of the word, these Mikros 90.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #2,993 of 6,783
i think unknowingly the headbandtube has acted like a pressure release valve.
In normal cupdesigns, there are bass vent holes to allow that.
Here what we have is only a tiny hole...so u might be hearing the effects of a backflow.
causing the singers to compress with slight loss of stage. (BS)
U try unblocking that soundpipe..see how it goes.

=======

edit:
i just put my amp to High Gain,
and the soundstage sounded more "penetrating" 
(vs a direct a/b betw the stock n modded mikros on the same power)
the moddedmikros might just need more power to project with a bigger cupvolume in play.

going thru my vocals playlist...
its v captivating n absorbing on the modded mikros. gorgeous matured sounding.
 :p

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,994 of 6,783
Wasn't looking for another pair of phones after grabbing the Fidelio X1s for $149 on Amazon back when, but decided to take a ride on the ML90 hype train. When I went to order at Newegg for the $79 with $20 rebate, it had expired on Friday (I went to order Saturday). The price was $68.99, and I noticed the green lettering that said "$20 Mail in Rebate Card" and the price at $48.99. No brainer right?

When I tried to use the rebate link, it was sort of dead, kept returning me to the order page (basically a refresh). I went back yesterday and the price was now $69 and no rebate. I called today (forgot to get a screen shot) and the CSR at newegg explained that the rebate ended on 2/28 and nothing they could do relative to ML (it was a manufacturer's rebate), but he took my word for the weird rebate posting (no doubt they forgot to remove it) and graciously offered me a $20 Newegg gift card, no waiting 8-10 weeks. Sweet.

I gor the ML90s yesterday and OOB, not thrilled when used with my iPod Classic/C&C BH amp combo. But even without any run-in, I did manage to EQ them with the Onkyo HF app on my iPhone 5 to sound pretty, pretty, pretty darn good. Now, they are connected to my home theater receiver and an endless loop of random music for the next 4-5 days. Fit-wise, they are odd ducks, sort of hurt. But I figure stretching the headband will lighten the grip. I am no modder, so scared to do the mods on this thread. I am inept, to put it bluntly. Someone should start a ML90 mod side business, I'd pay for it as long as the mod does improve the bottom end. However, for now, I am just going to let them burn in and use them stock. Oddly enough the stock X1 cable will work with them, so going to try and and see how it sounds. The OEM cable with the 90s is pretty short.  Love it when $300 MSRP phones fall into the bargain bin.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,995 of 6,783

Look...there is this THIN FOAM inside the Mikros box...
are u thinking what i am thinking...????
save the iguanas, the rabbit skins...that poor ox..or those nasty roadkills that pata picked up....pinch my nose.

What is the mod that everyone is doing?  Do you have a thread with the instructions or is it buried in one of these posts?

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,997 of 6,783
  Lors,
Reconfigured with the MikrosHearThruBASS mod last night.  I used a 1-7/8" circular piece of deerskin (slitted to fall flush around the screw posts, a 3/8" half moon felt piece at the bottom of the cup with the straight edge toward the center and Tacky.

The BASSSSSSS, I must say, is absolutely the best I have ever heard from any headphones.  Abysmally deep and insanely articulate!!!  Following the bass detail is as easy as following the guitars or horns, extremely well integrated.  

Cool pataburd! If you get the chance the next time you are in there, please take a pic or two of your configuration :)

However, I was ill-at-ease after I Tackied over the tubular headband holes [the Predator and you were discussing that yesterday].  I had just modded/battened down the right hand driver and it occurred to me that that the "headband tube port" had been closed down--dohhh!!!!, so I decided to close down the headband ports for the time-being.

The MHTB mod makes everything quiet, with intimate details emerging from a black background, but I must say that I noted a slight loss of openness in the midrange: vocals were not as transparent or "deep" as with the foam-only.  [Note that BASS was loose and tended to overhang w/the foam only, which was undesirable.]  The overall sense of largeness that I was getting with just the open cell foam disc and the headband tubes full open also diminished a bit.  It had a slightly closed-in feeling.

Tonight, God willing, I plan to reopen the headband tube ports and try to tune the midrange.  I cut the top off a Bic "round stic" cap--with my trusty Ginsu Knife [yes, folks, they will cut anything!].  The top of the cap  is vented [looking like a rounded peace sign with a small dot in the middle].  I will set the cap, vented end up inside the tubular band, and have the other end protrude just a little bit into the cup chamber.  I am hoping to fine tune the midrange, hopefully without degradation to the STELLAR MirkosHearThruBASS [by Lors, LLC, Patent Pending].  My other idea--in addition to reopening the headband tube ports--is to cut out a 1/4"-1/2" hole in the middle of the leather and put a small piece of that open cell foam directly beneath the Rabbit Hole.

Don't get me wrong, the MHTB mod is a superb, stand-alone mod.  A/B-ed against my fully burned in stock set , I definitely preferred the modded pair--so much more engaging.  But I still want to go back and try to reopen/tune the headband tube ports to regain some of that extreme sense of openness/spaciousness that the previous [foam-only/full throttle headband tubes] mod seemed to impart.

With the hole fully open, when there is sub-bass, THERE IS SUB-BASS lol! I find it pretty awesome tbh, but it would be fun to see what effect changing the size of the hole has on things. A friend mentioned using a decal (with a hole size of your choosing somehow punched into it) to reblock the hole. Might try that!

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,998 of 6,783
Its on lorspeakers sig, he was kind enough to post his mods in the sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, so many choices?  Which one to choose?  :D

Also, where to get "Furniture base selfstick felt mat  1inch x 1 inch" ?

I assume this is the "BlueTac"?

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72/

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,999 of 6,783
The Mikros is scheduled to arrive tomorrow D:

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3,000 of 6,783
Cool pataburd! If you get the chance the next time you are in there, please take a pic or two of your configuration :)

With the hole fully open, when there is sub-bass, THERE IS SUB-BASS lol! I find it pretty awesome tbh, but it would be fun to see what effect changing the size of the hole has on things. A friend mentioned using a decal (with a hole size of your choosing somehow punched into it) to reblock the hole. Might try that!

I was thinking the same thing, maybe it changes the quantity of the bass, which would be pretty awesome!

Then people who believe the bass mod is simply overbearing, they can adjust the bass quantity to their preferenxes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back