Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 29, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #6,737 of 6,782
These, too [they look like the ones that @paulybatz uses]:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254285183417

Those look pretty interesting.

In fact, just do a web search for "replacement ear pads for Mikros 90" and you'll get a bunch more.
I'm going to give these pads a try. Hopefully, I can get a better seal with a tad bit more bass elevation. The Mikros bass sounds fantastic on most songs, but some recordings, it drops below my preferred sound levels. A bass mod in the near future may be a consideration. 😉

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #6,738 of 6,782
There is a mod that will turn the Mikros 90 into an absolute bass beast.

It involves opening up the earcups and removing a thin circular membrane that covers a small [centralized, if I recall correctly] hole/port. NOTE: Once this membrane is removed, it loses adhesion so, strictly speaking, the mod is irreversible.

That mod is detailed maybe midway-ish through this thread(?).

I did this mod on one pair of the Mikros 90s that I had at the time [in fact, I modded the very first pair that I bought--at one time I owned seven pairs(!)]. The [mid/low-mid] bass levels were elevated significantly, but the bass remained accurate. Sense of space opened further, too. Mids were a bit more transparent and coherent [again, if my memory serves me correctly].

However, at length and in hindsight, I ultimate [would have] preferred the "stock" tuning of that particular pair of MLMk90, which was incredibly balanced and neutral with laudable low frequency extension.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #6,739 of 6,782
There is a mod that will turn the Mikros 90 into an absolute bass beast.

It involves opening up the earcups and removing a thin circular membrane that covers a small [centralized, if I recall correctly] hole/port. NOTE: Once this membrane is removed, it loses adhesion so, strictly speaking, the mod is irreversible.

That mod is detailed maybe midway-ish through this thread(?).

I did this mod on one pair of the Mikros 90s that I had at the time [in fact, I modded the very first pair that I bought--at one time I owned seven pairs(!)]. The [mid/low-mid] bass levels were elevated significantly, but the bass remained accurate. Sense of space opened further, too. Mids were a bit more transparent and coherent [again, if my memory serves me correctly].

However, at length and in hindsight, I ultimate [would have] preferred the "stock" tuning of that particular pair of MLMk90, which was incredibly balanced and neutral with laudable low frequency extension.
The make shift pads I'm using make it hard to get a good seal. The new pads just may be the solution. 🤞 I won't be receiving them until February 7 or so.
I'm still in the Burn-in process about 45 hrs now, so the bass level may change when it's completed. I'll just have to be patient.
Thanks again for your recommendations.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #6,740 of 6,782
A Brief Comparative Review of the Martin Logan Mikros 90 vs. the Focal Clear OG:

In brief, the Mikros 90 easily better the Clear OG with respect to low level detail retrieval and overall resolution.

For example, listening to The Bob James Trio, "Nautilus" from the Feel Like Making Live album: the rider cymbal sounds much more complete with the Mikros 90, from the initial tap of the tip of the drumstick at the cymbal strike, to the "splash", to the decay.

With the Clear you hear mostly the cymbal splash; it's not nearly as well-differentiated/sequenced as with the Mikros 90.

The Martin Logans, in addition to having quick drivers [notably quicker than the Clear OG's], also render lots of detail with a hard-to-describe kind of "slow motion" precision--it's just another fascinating aspect of listening to the Mikros 90: a testament to their superior speed and resolution.

Treble is more extended and detailed, too; ditto for the bass. Bass is so much more clearly articulated with the Mikros 90. Bass lines on Jefferson Airplane's "Share a Little Joke" from the Crown of Creation album are easier to follow, developed with more complexity.

Midrange is cleaner and more open, too. Gracie Slick's vocals--e.g. her trademark vibrato--on "Triad" [re: same album as cited above] are notably more nuanced and resolved with the Mikros 90.

. . . and here's the kicker: the Mikros 90 (closed back portables) still manage to throw a larger and more 3-dimensional soundstage than the (full-sized open-back) Clears!

The Mikros 90 maintain technical brilliance and ultimate musicality in a balance I have not heard from any other set of headphones.

Of course, I am by no means "trashing" the Focal Clear OG. They are a fine and very musical set of headphones with a warmish-neutral and pleasing balance, a bit warmer and thicker [particularly in the mid bass] in their presentation than the Mikros 90.

But the Clear simply do not--and indeed cannot--command my listening attention quite like the Mikros 90!

Associated equipment:

headphones:
>Focal Clear OG, running balanced w/a UPOCC copper & silver hybrid cable [the Clear sound their best with this cable and running balanced on the amp used]
>Martin Logan Mikros 90, running single-ended w/a UPOCC silver cable [the Mikros 90 sound their best with this cable and running single-ended on the amp used]

amplification:
Lake People RS-08 [running balanced for the Clear; single-ended for the Mikros 90]
Violectric HPA V222 [running balanced for the Clear; single-ended for the Mikros 90]

DAC:
S.M.S.L. D400EX

Sources:
Shanling ET3 [w/AES/EBU cable], Lenovo G50|Apple Music

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #6,741 of 6,782
20240127_033910.jpg

The Mikros are @ 100 hrs burn-in.
They're sounding incredible! Feed them well recorded music and you will be delightfully rewarded.
If you put sh## in, you will get sh## out. 😜

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #6,743 of 6,782
I have installed the NOS OEM pads today courtesy of @pataburd. They have elevated my bass response significantly! 😁 125 hrs of burn-in completed and the Mikros are sounding very special. 🙌

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #6,744 of 6,782
Glad to hear that!
The Mikros 90 are truly "reference level" headphones that compete with the best open headphones I have ever heard.
. . . and to think that Martin Logan pulled off this feat with closed portables makes it all the more amazing!
Oh, how I [STILL] wish they had developed a set of full-sized, open headphones of similar pedigree!

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #6,745 of 6,782
Glad to hear that!
The Mikros 90 are truly "reference level" headphones that compete with the best open headphones I have ever heard.
. . . and to think that Martin Logan pulled off this feat with closed portables makes it all the more amazing!
Oh, how I [STILL] wish they had developed a set of full-sized, open headphones of similar pedigree!
A combination of Dynamic/ E-Stat drivers would be amazing. 🥰 It could still happen. 🤔

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #6,747 of 6,782
These portable headphones have earned their keep in my collection far surpassing my expectations. I don't think I've ever heard another that can deliver every micro detail but still remain so musical with a beautiful natural sounding presentation.
They will definitely be stealing much of my head-time from some very competent competitors. They are: Giant Slayers.
The Little Headphone That Could!
Pics Cut_202424111458363.png

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #6,748 of 6,782
I wait with fingers crossed. I perhaps will be able to buy one this week ....

I will mod it my way .... :)

I am curious because of my friend here...

These portable headphones have earned their keep in my collection far surpassing my expectations. I don't think I've ever heard another that can deliver every micro detail but still remain so musical with a beautiful natural sounding presentation.
They will definitely be stealing much of my head-time from some very competent competitors. They are: Giant Slayers.
The Little Headphone That Could!
Pics Cut_202424111458363.png

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #6,749 of 6,782
I wait with fingers crossed. I perhaps will be able to buy one this week ....

I will mod it my way .... :)

I am curious because of my friend here...
My fingers are crossed for you too. Good luck! I’m looking forward to reading your impressions of them.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #6,750 of 6,782
Anyway i will enjoy a very silent headphone if i can buy one ... All reviews are unanimous about his noise silent level... It is my second offer for one and this headphone seems rare find now...

My problem is that i am spoiled with my modified AKG K340 .... ( tremendous speaker like bass and soundfield with out of the head holography and the most natural timbre i ever listened to )
But if the mikros at least rival my optimized sextett i will be glad... I dont think that it could even be a match between the mikros and the optimized K340... Sorry...

My modification will be the utilization of sorbothane duro 70 and of special vibrations absorbing FoQ tape for higher frequencies ... The sorb will act also as an acoustic material and not only as a vibrations/resonance damping absorbtion...

I will have two systems of amplification to use it with.... My Douk tube preamplification with the Fosi mk01 amplifier with three tone controls which drive my sextett ... Or my top Sansui alpha 607i amplifier .... And two different dac: the SPS nos battery dac with the douk+fosi or the hidizs battery dac with the Sansui which drive my AKG K340 the best...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back