Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #6,721 of 6,782
Current EQ settings for Mikros 90:

1705967147655.png

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #6,722 of 6,782
Okay, so I got home and opened my NOS Mikros 90. 😚 they look and smell new.
I plugged them into my phone for a quick listen. I listened to one song and took them off along with a good bit of the pleather that peeled off on my ears. 😵‍💫
Not a big deal. I kind of expected that.
After peeling the rest off, I proceeded to my main rig for the testing to begin. 🫡

I plugged them into the Loxjie D30 and fed it with a DDSD signal from Amazon Music HD files.
At first, headphone positioning was difficult to achieve, but I do own a Grado , so I'm used to fiddling with hp placement.

My initial early impressions were that they were not very musical but I could hear great potential for being very detailed with great imaging. I listened to some of my test songs and proceeded to apply the above EQ settings in APO and they transformed into a very musicality and detailed headphone.They take to eq very well!

They should only get better with burn-in and the new cable @pataburd very kindly shipped to me, thank you very much. So far, I'm very pleased with my purchase. 😊 I have a lot of listening to do. I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Only 5 hours burn-in and they sound amazing. 😊 They have a very natural sound to them.
Imaging, Details and Timbre are some of the best I've heard in any headphone. I'm
totally impressed with what Martin Logan has accomplished here. All in one small package. Giant Killer's!

I figured that if @pataburd, who has been heavily involved in Head-Fi for the last 20 years or so thinks the Mikros are special, they're definitely worth a listen. I'm so glad I gave them a shot. 😁

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #6,724 of 6,782
I'm about 12 hrs through the burn-in process. The Mikros deserve a lot more praise than it gets.
IMO, once the proper head placement has been achieved and a slight eq applied, they rival some very reputable contenders and can become quite addictive. 🤪
It's early on in my evaluation process, but the Mikros is a real contender to be my favorite HP amongst my collection. 🎧

20240127_034031.jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #6,726 of 6,782
My pads are falling off. Any suggestions for a temporary fix and permanent replacements?

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #6,727 of 6,782
It's really a shame that Martin Logan didn't stay in the game.
A full-sized open design, on scale with the Mikros 90, might/would have been a classic best seller by now, I believe.
At least the Mikros 90 will always have a Cult following. 😉

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #6,729 of 6,782
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #6,731 of 6,782
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #6,734 of 6,782
I'm about 12 hrs through the burn-in process. The Mikros deserve a lot more praise than it gets.
IMO, once the proper head placement has been achieved and a slight eq applied, they rival some very reputable contenders and can become quite addictive. 🤪
It's early on in my evaluation process, but the Mikros is a real contender to be my favorite HP amongst my collection. 🎧

20240127_034031.jpg
Have had mine for over 11 years and they are not going anywhere. :blush:

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #6,735 of 6,782
Update on my Mikros early impressions.
30 hrs burn-in time mark.

Observations.

Presentation. The Mikros have amazing 3D like imaging with plenty of height and depth with no empty spaces in the soundstage. The soundstage is wide but not overly to the point of losing its intimacy. Very few headphones can check these boxes.

Bass: The Bass has beautiful timbre and is very fast with a nice punch. It comes to the front only when it's called upon to do so. These are Bass correct headphones. I boosted it a tad to my liking.

Highs: Micro Details are easily detected and extracted from the music.
Almost electrostat fast with plenty of air but never fatiguing.

Mids: There's plenty separation of instruments with space between them.
Again the timbre is top-notch.

These hp's sound fantastic at any volume!

IMO, It's a very musical/reference headphone that punches way above its cost and I'm very happy to own them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back