Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #6,706 of 6,783
New look. New life. New love.
Fantastic right out of my computer.
With my Ibasso DAC and amp setup…phenomenal. Full Clear Doesn’t miss a shadow or a high.

$45 well spent.
I bought two cables of different length. I figured worst case I return it. Other way. I have them…can reterminate down the road too.

Attachments

• 762B2446-1933-4792-93BB-E3D054EBDC40.jpeg
    762B2446-1933-4792-93BB-E3D054EBDC40.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • A4AA6DC4-3F8B-46EA-8980-B868F271A9E2.jpeg
    A4AA6DC4-3F8B-46EA-8980-B868F271A9E2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #6,707 of 6,783
I am in the market for a new pair, but having difficulty finding any on sale.

If I lived in Canada I could buy some (new/never opened for over 10 years?) from Star electronics for $150 CAD (http://stardeals.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=134).

I'm hoping to hear back from some folks listing here at head-fi for a set, especially since I have literally better than original pads and only lack the needed fully working set.

I still have 2 sets of my original three but one no longer has matched volume/timbre across the two speakers and the other has a silent speaker.

The silent speaker is probably from the solder breaking out again, the other - idk. maybe need to replace cable?

I previously soldered that set previously back into working order, but I had help from a better solder guy than myself for that. Still, it got it working again for 2 - 3 years.

Please let me know if anyone notices a spare set for sale.

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #6,708 of 6,783
Turns out the channel imbalance was partly bad positioning on the left ear. Only partly though! LOL. The right and left speaker on this set surely would not measure the same frequency output curves. However, when you haven't used these in a while it is easy to forget how finicky the positioning is for best and most balanced sound!

Edit: I still love these geekria aftermarket pads, though I understand they are not well-loved by all.

Edit x2: The best fitting aftermarket replacement pads I've used are all marketed for Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on-ear headphones.

Here's a quick survey of Amazon options: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Replacement+Ear+Pads+for+Sennheiser+Momentum+2.0&i=electronics&crid=3LAUE5BDXYVQ7&sprefix=replacement+ear+pads+for+sennheiser+momentum+2.0,electronics,130&ref=nb_sb_noss

That's lots of options, just on Amazon! A few of those seem to have much more substantial foam than others...like these seem to be great, the correct size (2.9 in x 2.4 in) and a great deal-
https://www.amazon.com/SOULWIT-Replacement-Sennheiser-Headphones-High-Density/dp/B0BHPBZW1G/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3LAUE5BDXYVQ7&keywords=Replacement+Ear+Pads+for+Sennheiser+Momentum+2.0&qid=1674576246&s=electronics&sprefix=replacement+ear+pads+for+sennheiser+momentum+2.0,electronics,130&sr=1-14&th=1

Sennheiser HD25 replacement pads also fit but are pretty loose on the speaker by comparison to Momentum 2.0 on-ear replacement pads. Those all slid around to much for me. Bose QC3 pads also fit, barely. The ones I used were basically a tiny bit too small so they were very easy to rip when installing and the opening was also a bit small.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #6,709 of 6,783
To be honest, once I have a working set again, I'm very tempted to go to Vesper for custom pads. https://vesperaudio.com

Real leather, and/or natural fiber materials that will last way longer than protein leather and plastic fibers, plus I could have them stuff in memory foam as thick as I want!

They had Senn Momentum 2.0 on-ear pads in their gallery, so those should do for a basic design basis.

It already seems too silly to be serious about, but ... thick foam, long-lasting materials ... so tempting!

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #6,710 of 6,783
Thank you to ESL-1, and hillbilly559 for selling me their Mikros 90 headphones!

LOL. I went on a buying spree on aftermarket pads, plus the set ESL-1 sold me had mint condition original pads to compare with, so I did a fair amount of pad rolling. I now agree with earlier assessments of the geekria velour pads - not good changes to the sound. Originally I used those on my bass-modded (removed the weird sound stickers) clamp-pressure relaxed set and they were fine on it, but on the mint like-new set I just got, they alter the sound in a bad way. This is just my take-away, but after pad-rolling my favorite earpads for SQ and comfort are these: SOULWIT Earpads. The SQ, tonality, and tuning is so close to original, I couldn't identify any difference between those and the brand-new ML pads. Like the ML originals, and unlike most of the other options, they don't cover any part of the driver with foam. The advantage over the original ML pads is that the memory foam is completely sewn into the pleather, so it can't wiggle and change shape except to squish. Comfort is good on the SOULWIT earpads and yet they are still thin enough to not alter the sound, while providing an excellent seal. Thicker pads could be more comfortable, but having the speaker further from the ear really affects the sound of the Mikros in a detrimental way. I feel that the Mikros 90's really do best right up against the ear, with a good seal and at fairly high volume. I'm only keeping the SOULWIT and ML pads.

Also ESL-1 passed along a very nice alternate cable and I couldn't help myself but pick up a Fos Power adapter, a Primeda cable, and a Wekuant cable in my over-excitement about getting new working sets of Mikros 90's. However, I did not notice a significant difference with cable swapping, or all these cables are close to equal transparency. Could just be my ears/brain and over time maybe I'll notice differences as I get reaccustomed to the Mikros. The Primeda cable impressed me the most in build-quality. The Wekuant cable advertises silvered-plated copper and 4N High pure Oxgen-Free copper core, AWG20, and etc. so very high end. Both were $20 or less and look like they are really made and marketed by the same company (LOL). The cable ESL-1 provided has SQ just as excellent as those, and is much lighter than the other two I got. The Primeda and Wekuant are THICK, HEAVY boys (6.21mm and 6.5mm diameters)!

So now I have a bunch of earpads to return though I'm keeping all the cables.

It's been fun playing around with good working sets of Mikros 90's again!

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #6,711 of 6,783
Down to the Mikros 90 w/Momentum ear pads straight out of a Lenovo laptop (+ APO Equalizer, a DakiOm Feedback Stabilizer and a 4x 22.5 AWG UPOCC copper cable--and they sound exceptional.) Jango free streaming and the Go-Go's (Our Lips are Sealed . . .)
Everything else I own has either already been sold or is currently for sale.
Martin Logan Mikros 90: 10 years and still going STRONG!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #6,712 of 6,783
. . . just swapped in the HeadphoneLounge 4x 22.5 AWG UPOCC silver cable . . . Detail, tonal purity/density and soundstage just went up a a BIG notch or two or three!
NO desire for anything else.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #6,714 of 6,783
Lenovo G50|Spotify<--USB Disruptor/Wyred4Sound Recovery<--Emotiva Big Ego+<--DakiOm Fm203<--HeadphoneLounge 4x 22.5 AWG UPOCC copper cable<--Martin Logan Mikros 90|Momentum ear pads

Mikros 90_Big Ego+.jpg
Which Momentum pads are you using? The original Momentum or one more recent?

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #6,715 of 6,783
Resurrection time!
I have just purchased a NOS pair of Mikro 90's. They should arrive sometime next week. 🙂 I've read through a lot of the 448 pages of mostly praise and tips for them in this thread and I'm excited and anxious to give them a good listen. Some of you still hold them in very high regard after 12 year's of ownership and many headphone auditions later. I'll come back and post my impressions after the 100 hr driver break-in is completed. Talk at you then!

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #6,716 of 6,783
Resurrection time!
I have just purchased a NOS pair of Mikro 90's. They should arrive sometime next week. 🙂 I've read through a lot of the 448 pages of mostly praise and tips for them in this thread and I'm excited and anxious to give them a good listen. Some of you still hold them in very high regard after 12 year's of ownership and many headphone auditions later. I'll come back and post my impressions after the 100 hr driver break-in is completed. Talk at you then!
Just grab yourself a really nice silver cable

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #6,717 of 6,783
Just grab yourself a really nice silver cable
Are there any decent < $30 cables that will suffice? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #6,718 of 6,783
@Davidzak64 Not silver, but I have had good success with the Pipeline ET-4 [4ft. copper made by AudioQuest] cable. It's tricky, though, because the Mikros 90 have a narrow recessed 3.5mm inlet socket.

There are ET-4 that have a slim enough [and just barely at that] plug barrel, and other ET-4 with a plug barrel that is much too thick, but it is not always apparent when trying to find/order this cable.

Myself and others on this thread have also had good results with the [copper] Auvio 3.5mm cable which has plug barrels that fit the Mikros 90 as-is..

Unfortunately, both of the aforementioned cables are difficult to find these days.

One way around that is to get a 3.5mm socket extender/adapter which will allow use of virtually any 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable. The downside(s) of course, is(are) the sonic compromise(s) that adapters may introduce into the overall listening experience.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,720 of 6,783
Photograph 1:
Mikros 90, Marc Tunis silver cable, 3.5mm socket extender.
Cable as-is will not fit the Mikros 90 input socket [termination too thick}:

IMG_20240122_151910847_HDR.jpg

Photograph 2:
Socket extender inserted:

IMG_20240122_151946563_HDR.jpg

Photograph 3:
Cable now useable with Mikros 90:

IMG_20240122_151957272_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back