Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #6,676 of 6,783
I personally didn't like the Geekria. I felt like they'd get hot and the padding was a bit thin. The Seinnheisers fit perfectly and the padding is thick. However, it's not so thick that you can't put the headphones back in the case because I do it all the time.

It does take a few months before the pads become available again. That's why I purchased a "backup" and waited about 4-6 months or so, but that was during Covid times. Not sure about nowadays.

It's obviously up to you. I'll attach a few pictures to show you how they fit.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #6,677 of 6,783
I personally didn't like the Geekria. I felt like they'd get hot and the padding was a bit thin. The Seinnheisers fit perfectly and the padding is thick. However, it's not so thick that you can't put the headphones back in the case because I do it all the time.

It does take a few months before the pads become available again. That's why I purchased a "backup" and waited about 4-6 months or so, but that was during Covid times. Not sure about nowadays.

It's obviously up to you. I'll attach a few pictures to show you how they fit.
Thanks for the pictures!
Those are definitely the over-ear pads, it's great they work for you, but I think those probably aren't for me. If I could get them for $20-30 now, I might try them, but with the Geekria available now for $15, that's probably the way I'll go. I find Grado L and F pads comfortable, so I have a feeling the thinner pad on the Geekria probably won't be an issue for me. I just hope, like others have said, it'll fix the roll-off-your-head tendencies.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #6,679 of 6,783
dp

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #6,680 of 6,783
I find the comfort to be a toss-up. The originals seem uncomfortable at first but relax after half a minute. The Geekria stay about the same.

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #6,681 of 6,783
Just sold the Focal Elear.
Back down to one and only one set of dynamics at present: the Martin Logan Mikros 90.
Mikros 90 (Momentum ear pads)<--HeadphoneLounge 24AWG T2 Litz silver cable<--S.M.S.L. SP200<--Topping E50<--USB Disruptor|Wyred4Sound Recovery<--Lenovo G50
Sounds clearer and larger in scale than the Focal.
: )

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #6,682 of 6,783
I got around to trying my Geekria velour pads that I ordered.... holy cow do they really suck. If you enjoy ice picks in your ears, these are the pads for you. They boost treble like crazy, the nice tight base is gone. They're reasonably comfortable, but not as nice as the stock pads. I found they did nothing to change the tendency of the headphones to rotate off my ears. I'm glad they work for some people, definitely didn't work at all for me. I hope the pleather pads from china will at least sound the same as the stock pads.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #6,683 of 6,783
I got around to trying my Geekria velour pads that I ordered.... holy cow do they really suck. If you enjoy ice picks in your ears, these are the pads for you. They boost treble like crazy, the nice tight base is gone. They're reasonably comfortable, but not as nice as the stock pads. I found they did nothing to change the tendency of the headphones to rotate off my ears. I'm glad they work for some people, definitely didn't work at all for me. I hope the pleather pads from china will at least sound the same as the stock pads.
I spent a bit more time with the Geekria pads today after swapping back and forth. The first thing, for these to sit comfortably on my ears, they sit further back than with the stock pads. These essentially force the (I hope this is right, not an expert, just an expert at googling) antihelix to sit right in the middle of the Geekria, which puts the driver directly over your ear canal. The way I normally wear the Mikros is slightly forward, and the memory foam creates a pretty good seal and forms to my ears. The geekria don't seem to seal all that well, even if I move them forward, move them around, or compress them manually with my hands against my head. I think it's this poor seal that sucked all the bass out, the driver can't couple with my eardrum. I also think the stock pads have a bit more material in the middle between the driver and your ear which helps tame the treble, where the geekria just have a thin piece of fabric.

I did notice when pushed further back on my ear, they did seem to stay put a bit better than stock, but only just. Here, I have a feeling how much of an improvement you see is probably dependent on how tight your rotation joint is. Mine has become more loose over time.

I'm a fan of Grado, and I know how drastically pad rolling can change the sound of headphones. It's true here as well, and in this case, destroys the sound of the Mikros. As with the Grado pad rolling, I also know that the size and shape of your head and ears, the fit, and interaction of all the parts means opinions on this can vary wildly on what works or sounds well. For me, these pads are terrible, and I'll be using the worn out stock pads, and hope the pleather version are better.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #6,684 of 6,783
My pleather pads from AliExpress should be here tomorrow, but I had also ordered replacements direct from Martin Logan, and those came today. These sound even better than my old stock pads, I assume because the old ones, all the pleather had flaked off, and the edges had ripped, so the seal wasn't as good as it should have been. I'll be interested to hear the other pads, but since ML still sells replacements, I have a feeling I'll just end up using the stock pads.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #6,685 of 6,783
I received the pleather Misodiko pads today. Similar size to the Geekria velour pads, the opening seems a bit larger and fits on my ear better. These are a bit more difficult to get on. However, these pads are really very good. First impressions are the sound is very similar to stock pads. I wish I could swap back and forth between pads as quickly and easily as I can with my Grados, so sound comparisons will be harder to do with accuracy since I don't have headphone measurement gear. While these are pleather, the quality of the pleather is not as nice as stock pads, but then it may last longer. These create a very good seal, enough that if you press them on your ears, the pressure increases, and it takes a while for the pressure to equalize, and when you pull them off, you have to break the suction. I wonder if that will remain after one uses them for a while. They seem to fit a bit more secure than stock pads, but only just. Comfort is quite good, though I think due to the different pleather, the seem to be a bit warmer on my ears. If you want an alternative to stock pads, and maintain a similar (same?) sound, similar feel and comfort, these may be your ticket.

Edit: After inspecting them a bit more, I think the pleather quality is actually pretty good, better than other pleather pads I've got from China. I think I'll leave these on for a while. The foam doesn't seem to be memory foam like the stock pads, but it's still soft and pliable.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #6,686 of 6,783
You know, it really bugs me that I can't enjoy the 90's as much as @pataburd does. The problem is, I put them on, and they literally roll forward off of my ears. I know that I could wear them reversed, but I don't have a reversing adaptor to swap channels, and I don't really want to go that route.

I had a crazy thought of bolting the earcups into place into the headband yoke, but that would require drilling, which would probably result in drilling through wires, which might not be good. Sigh. Crazy glue perhaps? How crude!!!

So unless anyone has any good ideas, for now I will just continue staring at these beautiful looking and beautiful sounding headphones :sob:

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #6,688 of 6,783
You know, it really bugs me that I can't enjoy the 90's as much as @pataburd does. The problem is, I put them on, and they literally roll forward off of my ears. I know that I could wear them reversed, but I don't have a reversing adaptor to swap channels, and I don't really want to go that route.

I had a crazy thought of bolting the earcups into place into the headband yoke, but that would require drilling, which would probably result in drilling through wires, which might not be good. Sigh. Crazy glue perhaps? How crude!!!

So unless anyone has any good ideas, for now I will just continue staring at these beautiful looking and beautiful sounding headphones :sob:
I’ve had decent luck by rolling the top of the headband further back on my head than where most headphones sit. I have to extend the earcups just a bit more than I would otherwise, but I find that this changes the axis of rotation just enough that they stay put better than if I left it where I normally would. In the normal position, they will roll off my head almost immediately.

The new pads help a bit with the tendency to roll off my head.

After a bit more listening, the new pads do accentuate the bass, probably because of the incredible seal these create.

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #6,689 of 6,783
I’ve had decent luck by rolling the top of the headband further back on my head than where most headphones sit. I have to extend the earcups just a bit more than I would otherwise, but I find that this changes the axis of rotation just enough that they stay put better than if I left it where I normally would. In the normal position, they will roll off my head almost immediately.

The new pads help a bit with the tendency to roll off my head.

After a bit more listening, the new pads do accentuate the bass, probably because of the incredible seal these create.
I agree.

For me, getting replacement pads, as well as tilting the headband back a little and extending the cups a bit further down, helped impede the "forward roll" that waynes world describes.

That rolling effect is, I believe, due to a manufacturing defect that puts an unbalanced torsional (pre)load in the tubular steel headband. This can also bring about an uneven R/L seating upon the ears, resulting in a perceived channel imbalance.

The very first pair of the Mikros 90 I ever bought fit my head optimally and sounded just about perfect. My biggest mistake was (bass) modding that first pair, then subsequently selling them. [All-in-all, I owned seven pairs of the Mikros 90. The pair I have now has the rolling headband problem.]

You can also use digital software, like the APO equalizer, to reverse the channels.

IMHO, Martin Logan had a real winner here. Manufacturing the Mikros 90 in China, with very erratic and poor QA, was the M90's demise. If ML had further developed a full-sized, over-ear pair of headphones, with the M90's technological DNA, I think they would have bettered Focal's current upper tier products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back