Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #5,641 of 6,783
I'm at work now, so I'll get to it later :)

but yeah that's one thing I forgot to mention mod-wise was that I did also do the fill out the mids part of your mod with that case material.

Would you recommend I try sticking some more felt into the bottom? (like you have 3 porkchops). I kinda feel like the mids are there and they are really good (ofc I will see if they get even better) but its mostly just that BASS that is soooo huge, especially on some tracks, it's absolutely monstrous and definitely somewhat above the rest of the FR however when there isn't any bass going on, the sound it amazing.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #5,642 of 6,783
  Is there a lot of variation in sound signature between these? I had one pair, liked it a lot but found it a just a hair thin and bass light. It broke, I returned it and now I'm getting great bass and a full, rich and dare I say very near perfect sound. 

There seems to be some variation, unit-to-unit. I have one that is a bit bass light compared to my "perfect" set, too. I also have two units of the Onkyo FC300. One is lighter in bass than my original set. I love my original set. I may be making an anecdotal assumption from limited experience here, but I think there may be more variation in headphone manufacturing than we might think.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5,643 of 6,783
There seems to be some variation, unit-to-unit. I have one that is a bit bass light compared to my "perfect" set, too. I also have two units of the Onkyo FC300. One is lighter in bass than my original set. I love my original set. I may be making an anecdotal assumption from limited experience here, but I think there may be more variation in headphone manufacturing than we might think.

I believe burn in is mentioned in the manual (but i doubt anybody reads those in headphones)

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,644 of 6,783
  I'm at work now, so I'll get to it later :)

but yeah that's one thing I forgot to mention mod-wise was that I did also do the fill out the mids part of your mod with that case material.

Would you recommend I try sticking some more felt into the bottom? (like you have 3 porkchops). I kinda feel like the mids are there and they are really good (ofc I will see if they get even better) but its mostly just that BASS that is soooo huge, especially on some tracks, it's absolutely monstrous and definitely somewhat above the rest of the FR however when there isn't any bass going on, the sound it amazing.

the felt that i used are HARD compressed felt... those used as cushions for chair legs :p
i experimented manymanytimes tuning it to my taste...on my gears..
u do likewise, until u can open up the can with your eyes CLOSED lolz.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #5,645 of 6,783
Looks like I was banned me from the PM-1 thread.
confused_face_2.gif

Perplexed.
No rational explanation given.
Was it my audacity in comparing the PM-1 to the Mikros 90?
I am seeking sanctuary in the Mikros 90 thread--and solace from Stock Pair #3.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,646 of 6,783
  Looks like I was banned me from the PM-1 thread.
confused_face_2.gif

Perplexed.
No rational explanation given.
Was it my audacity in comparing the PM-1 to the Mikros 90?
I am seeking sanctuary in the Mikros 90 thread--and solace from Stock Pair #3.

That sounds bizarre indeed! Did any of your posts there get deleted?

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #5,647 of 6,783
Yes.
Several posts were deleted, the last of which simply asked a poster what upstream gear he drives the HD800 with to make them sound, as he asserts, "more reference and musical" than the PM-1.
When I open the thread I cannot access any of the standing posts, either.

I meet this wall:

Is there an "appeals" process?
Who is the "Grand Moderator"?
I have been a member in good standing practically since the inception of Head-Fi; and this really irks me.

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5,648 of 6,783
Well, Currawong (admin) is always watching and is helpful, so you could ask him what's going on.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #5,649 of 6,783
Dun think he banned u specifically?
I saw the same cat...n thread was closed yesterday for some pruning I guess.
Whatever off topic posts are axed to the mod's satisfaction.:D

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,651 of 6,783
I PMed Currawong.
He locked down the entire thread yesterday, then forgot to reopen it after censoring, so I was not specifically targeted.
He did remove--at least I guess he did-- the ensuing discussion about source gear to optimize the HD800 [thus making the HD800 "more musical" than the PM-1].
Supposedly averted a heated discussion.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #5,652 of 6,783
manufacturers should be selling headfi as a set...from headfone to the wall...that would save us alot of $$ :p

...but that wont be fun. :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,653 of 6,783
DT770/600 ohm arrived yesterday.
They sound dry, thin and bass-less alongside the Mikros 90. Stock Pair #3|0514 sounds about   j . . . u . . . s . . . t   right!  
Ran with both the beta 22 and BCL.
I thought these Beyers would have good/adequate bass.  Did I get a lemon pair?  Are they not adequately broken in? 
Will visit the DT770 thread(s) and read other impressions there.  
Maybe I just have to get my DT770 "ears" on, but so far I am unimpressed/borderline disappointed with the Beyers. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #5,655 of 6,783
  DT770/600 ohm arrived yesterday.
They sound dry, thin and bass-less alongside the Mikros 90. Stock Pair #3|0514 sounds about   j . . . u . . . s . . . t   right!  
Ran with both the beta 22 and BCL.
I thought these Beyers would have good/adequate bass.  Did I get a lemon pair?  Are they not adequately broken in? 
Will visit the DT770 thread(s) and read other impressions there.  
Maybe I just have to get my DT770 "ears" on, but so far I am unimpressed/borderline disappointed with the Beyers. 

It is a beautiful can...as if u are listening to an orchestra further back..u get the WHOLE some sound of the full power of a grand piece..
feel free to crank up the volume ..;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back