Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,611 of 6,783
Met a senior music lover yesterday, 'senior' in a sense that he took it seriously, have the standard gear (ak240, chord hugo, tons of cable which each may cost as much as ak100). Had fun trying my low-cost IEMs which can output a heavenly sound from his setups.
Near the end of the micro meet, I asked him to 'judge' my Mikros 90.
After listening by using his setup for about ten seconds, he asked one of the most precious questions: how much do you want for this cans?
I said that I have another new unopened set, and agreed to sell it to him at price. This is really just a hobby (denial) and I am not in this for profit. Such appreciation is enough, a noob like me managed to impress such experienced people. Good job Mikros!

So we opened another box. He said he will buy it under one condition, if he like the old cans better (already burned-in) then he will take it instead of the new one. "Sure," I said. The rest of the afternoon was spent with him trying the two Mikros back and forth, and I am trying my IEMs on his setups. He has a mod ak100 which he said the cost of modification is almost double the price of the ak100 itself. The sound reminded me of the analog sound I once heard from Altmann Tera.

Typing this while listening to my Mikros 90 
L3000.gif

Need to buy another pair, as my spare pair is just gone.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #5,612 of 6,783
  Met a senior music lover yesterday, 'senior' in a sense that he took it seriously, have the standard gear (ak240, chord hugo, tons of cable which each may cost as much as ak100). Had fun trying my low-cost IEMs which can output a heavenly sound from his setups.
After listening by using his setup for about ten seconds, he asked one of the most precious questions: how much do you want for this cans?
I said that I have another new unopened set, and agreed to sell it to him at price. This is really just a hobby (denial) and I am not in this for profit. Such appreciation is enough, a noob like me managed to impress such experienced people. Good job Mikros!

So we opened another box. He said I will buy it under one condition, if I like the old cans better (already burned-in) then I will take it instead of the new one. "Sure," I said. The rest of the afternoon was spent with him trying the two Mikros back and forth, and I am trying my IEMs on his setups. He has a mod ak100 which he said the cost of modification is almost double the price of the ak100 itself.

L3000.gif

You are a good Samaritan!!!
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5,614 of 6,783
  Just continuing the tradition I guess, some people in here also bought mikros from other people who either complained about the clamp or not patient enough to wait for the burn-in period

Nice job, and great PR for a very special set of headphones!
Welcome to the clan!
beerchug.gif

Listening to The Doors, "Riders on the Storm" right now with the Mikros 90 [Stock Pair #2].
The MLs have never disappointed.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,615 of 6,783
nino...so which one did he ended up with...the older? 

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,616 of 6,783
Well I'll go and compare the Mikros to the MA900 again since they both ended up next to me again.

Mikros: more treble, less bass, more detailed., clearer midrange, much better treble, more controlled bass

MA900: warmer, larger soundstage, more comfortable, bass envelopes you and goes deep enough for me.

The MA900 is great, but it's been topped, however, they still have a role to play, since they're so damn comfortable, and the soundstage is rediculous.

The Mikros' instrument separation and midrange texture accuracy are huge contributions to the Mikos' effectiveness. I'd like to hear any challenger though. Open or close, though I doubt any can top them... In anything but bass depth.

The Mikros 90 have been my go-to/consistently best listen since I bought them last November.
Their midrange clarity is "pretty darn good", too [borrowing again from SGD's technical descriptor lexicon].
You might have a "bass light" pair [like my Stock Pair #2].  All my other pair go very deep while remaining relatively flat. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #5,617 of 6,783
  nino...so which one did he ended up with...the older? 

The newer. He said the sound in the newer pairs is more 'open'. Go figure, a more open sound from a virgin set.

An interesting thing, my old ML90, the one he tried the first, was actually using a cheap $1 cable I bought from a Chinese seller on eBay. He gave me a strange stare when I told him this. He does believe in the importance of cables. Even in the significance of battery for DAP and amps and memory cards. I use the cheap cable to preserve the original cable, as sourcing it in Indonesia is not as easy as in the US.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #5,619 of 6,783

What's wrong with you? You never, I say NEVER, let anyone listen to your spare pair of Mikros 90's. See what happens?! Never I say!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #5,621 of 6,783
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #5,622 of 6,783
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9UKKS0/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_0942_00f4ec53?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=left-new-1&pf_rd_r=1AWCXFVG1AR138HHB416&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1740370942

m80 on sale

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5,624 of 6,783

So we opened another box. He said he will buy it under one condition, if he like the old cans better (already burned-in) then he will take it instead of the new one. "Sure," I said. The rest of the afternoon was spent with him trying the two Mikros back and forth, and I am trying my IEMs on his setups. He has a mod ak100 which he said the cost of modification is almost double the price of the ak100 itself. The sound reminded me of the analog sound I once heard from Altmann Tera.

L3000.gif

Well done. You are adept at practicing directed acts of Mikros. :wink:

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #5,625 of 6,783
  Did anyone bite on the Harman Kardon CL?
If so, what is/was the verdict?

I am so tempted, but I need to clear some of my old phones I don't use anymore first: AKG240 mkII and Sony 7506. My wife said the Onkyos did not isolate enough for her at work. She will be returning them to me. I regret buying the white second pair as I thought I would be without a pair of the Onkyos. Now I will have two pair. That is one too many. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back