Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,421 of 6,783
Ps I hear you about the leather and the bandaid material. It seems that everything and anything can make a difference - which is why modding these things can be so much fun :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,422 of 6,783

y dun u attempt the "full" mod that i posted, give it a shot, instead of turning back to stock. ..go find a piece of leather..."borrow"  your dad's wallet. :p

I also need blue tac and dynamat/felt though..
should i try the bandaid material?

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #3,423 of 6,783
get ahold of some 3M Transpore tape and try that out in single or multiple layers.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3,424 of 6,783
  get ahold of some 3M Transpore tape and try that out in single or multiple layers.

That's a good recommendation, I must say

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #3,425 of 6,783
its part of the growing pains...relating to childbirth...and child-upbringing...its all in the family.

If someone could successfully replicate my proposed mod...and verify the results, thats would put a chapter to this.
So far, Pataburd has put in foam... u have dug out the gung inside the hole,  Nim hasnt put in the leather..? 
And i am just trying to figure out what u guys attempted n how it affected the sound, its part of my learning too. :p

One fact that needs to be clearly established is whether tightsealing back the hole fully will bring u back to stock..
obviously using paper / fabric elastoplast / perforated original sticker aint gonna do it. 
And scotchtape gave it "no bass" .... ??

listening to ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK...now BILLY JEAN...
my mod sounds like a cross betw by D7k n T1. :p

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3,426 of 6,783
  its part of the growing pains...relating to childbirth...and child-upbringing...its all in the family.

If someone could successfully replicate my proposed mod...and verify the results, thats would put a chapter to this.
So far, Pataburd has put in foam... u have dug out the gung inside the hole,  Nim hasnt put in the leather..? 
And i am just trying to figure out what u guys attempted n how it affected the sound, its part of my learning too. :p

One fact that needs to be clearly established is whether tightsealing back the hole fully will bring u back to stock..
obviously using paper / fabric elastoplast / perforated original sticker aint gonna do it. 
And scotchtape gave it "no bass" .... ??

Tape made it literally extremely thin. Basically, the more obstructed it is, the less air flow for the driver to move and therefore less bass... the more open the more airflow and the more ability to move larger distances--more bass. That's my theory, anyhow.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,427 of 6,783
Which side of the leather should I use? left--softer, right--harder

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #3,428 of 6,783
Good theory, i believe what u said..so whoever destroys that sticker when opening the HOLE is gonna have to have the "right tape" 
to get it back to stock. 

=====

try the right wallet, it looks more EXPENSIVE :p

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #3,429 of 6,783
  Good theory, i believe what u said..so whoever destroys that sticker when opening the HOLE is gonna have to have the "right tape" 
to get it back to stock. 

=====

try the right wallet, it looks more EXPENSIVE :p

Lol it's the same wallet, just the inside vs outside :p but OK. Also, is it going to matter much that I don't have any plaster to use right now?

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3,430 of 6,783
give it a shot...i half suspect the effect of the plaster is less significant..
it was the first thing i found in the drawer n i started sticking it all around. LOLz

then i spotted the leather...

then i saw the felt...

it was that SCIENTIFIC when i was modding.

u can put in the leather, felt n thin foam into the cup first...give it a listen. 
then decide if u still want to try out the bluetac allaround the walls.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,431 of 6,783
One side done... I used the leather on the left side since it seemed much more genuine. The one on the right was actually some SUPER synthetic CRAP.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #3,432 of 6,783
So.... the bass is STILL boomy and too much--though I haven't done the felt part. Right now, bass seems boomy/muddy and the midrange seems recessed heavily but smooth and lush, treble seems heavily recessed but smoooooth. In other words, I need bass to reduce and other freq to increase and the sound would be lovely tbh.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #3,433 of 6,783
  So.... the bass is STILL boomy and too much--though I haven't done the felt part. Right now, bass seems boomy/muddy and the midrange seems recessed heavily but smooth and lush, treble seems heavily recessed but smoooooth. In other words, I need bass to reduce and other freq to increase and the sound would be lovely tbh.

sounds just about right...u add in the FELT...this will reduce the booommm
and that THIN FOAM, doublesidetape it to the driver..this will fill out the mids.
post #1804

..this is like childbirth..the waterbag is burst..lolz

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #3,434 of 6,783

sounds just about right...u add in the FELT...this will reduce the booommm
and that THIN FOAM, doublesidetape it to the driver..this will fill out the mids.

Foam? I was talking about the foam in my post above (the donuts). What felt? I have a feeling the grill cloth from my he-500 is EXACTLY what would be perfect for covering the hole slightly...

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #3,435 of 6,783
What's working for me are Lors mods + elastoplast over the holes + stock cable (through c3 dap + c&c bh amp). Yes indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back