Markl type mod for the audio technica ath-m50?
Dec 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nullPointerException

100+ Head-Fier
First to disappoint you all. No, I did not create a markl type mod for the ath-m50, sorry for getting your hopes up. Now for the point of the thread.

The problems that the markl mod fixes in the Denon Dxk line seem to be the same problems that many people have with the Audio Technica ath-m50's: to much bass and recessed mids. So lately i have been thinking -- what if someone were to create a markl type mod for the M50's? Have any of you tried to create such a mod? Discuss!

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 15
First, the cups cannot be replace, easily anyhow. Then someone would have to make leather pads that cost almost as much as the phones. Then the cable would cost more than the phones. You can already put tape over a couple of holes to reduce the bass. You can replace the pads with shure 840 or 440 to reduce bass, bring the mids forward a tad and largely increase the soundstage at the cost of isolation. It's just not cost effective to put $300-$400 into $100 headphones.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 15
If you want experiment with dynomat you can or if you don't have do a search for blutak mods as an alternative. Also look for AT ES7 and ESW9 mods for ideas as they both have a couple good mod threads.

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't like the sound the balance mod gives. sure it lowers the bass impact, but it sounds kind of like something is missing

Quote:
If you want experiment with dynomat you can or if you don't have do a search for blutak mods as an alternative. Also look for AT ES7 and ESW9 mods for ideas as they both have a couple good mod threads.

alright, ill do that. thanks

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
I don't like the sound the balance mod gives. sure it lowers the bass impact, but it sounds kind of like something is missing

Well...because it is?  Depends on how many holes you cover and what material you use to.  The quickest easiest mod that also adds comfort is just swapping for some 840 pads.  Though some didn't hear a difference.  As always YMMV.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Well...because it is?  Depends on how many holes you cover and what material you use to.  The quickest easiest mod that also adds comfort is just swapping for some 840 pads.  Though some didn't hear a difference.  As always YMMV.

I'll probably end up trying the 840 pad mod -- it sounds interesting -- but I'm still going to look into the idea of using dynomat. I believe it might be a better alternative in terms of sound quality than simply covering up some holes with tape. It might even be a good idea to use dynomat and cover up some holes. Think about it this way, when you cover up the holes, you decrease the surface area that the sound waves have to flow freely from the head phone. This inherently increases the area which sound waves have to hit the inside of the cups. when sound waves hit the cups, not all of them are going to be absorbed by, or pass through, the solid medium, so they bounce back into the cup. Since there is more surface area for the waves to hit, more of them are bouncing back into the cup before. Now these waves going back into the cup interact with new waves moving out of the cup, thus making everything more murky. However, If dynomat was to be added to the cups, more of the sound waves that hit the cup would be absorbed, hence less waves would bounce back.
    I'm no expert so I can't tell you my musings are entirely accurate, and I would be glad if an expert on the matter would come and correct me if I am wrong. If I, however, do happen to be correct with my thinking, adding dynomat to the cups would have an accurate outcome.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 15
You are correct. I noticed a little more resonance in the cups after plugging a couple of holes. Some poly fill or dynomat in the cup might be worth trying to tighten the bass, but the slightly recessed mids might become even more so.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
You are correct. I noticed a little more resonance in the cups after plugging a couple of holes. Some poly fill or dynomat in the cup might be worth trying to tighten the bass, but the slightly recessed mids might become even more so.

hmm, if i had some dynomat i would try it. What about putting dynomat in the cups by where the ear pads are, and then poking holes in it to let sound out the ports? It could also simulate the tape mod if we where to not poke holes for all 14 bass ports in each cup. Then the dynomat would absorb some of the waves hitting the cup, reducing resonance from the source

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 15
As was pointed out in the Fostex thread, Dynamat is for controlling cup resonances not absorbing back waves.  I would try the pads first as rolling pads are like rolling tips for IEMs IMO.  See which you like first then go from there.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
As was pointed out in the Fostex thread, Dynamat is for controlling cup resonances not absorbing back waves.  I would try the pads first as rolling pads are like rolling tips for IEMs IMO.  See which you like first then go from there.

by absorbing back waves, it would prevent the resonance, thus controlling it. however if i do get my hands on some dynamat i will try that, thanks for the advice.

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi guys

I have done many mods but not m50x or m50s mod

But yeah i have certain ideas here which i can share

As we go and see m50s, these are pro monitor type headphone and not for normal consumers.

The problem in all m50 series is 0-200hz bass 8dB bass boost and loose decay which we dont find in m40x and m70x High Res..

Dynamat or other butyl product are used to remove baffle or body vibration(resonance) which act as other source of audio and distorts the image.
But audioTechnica used aluminium for that.

And Dynaxorb is used to absorb low and High frequency from source(thats why we put on speakers back.

Coming to my mod idea

See the unscrewing of m50x first. To understand how it looks from inside

1.Resonance Damping

It would help in clearing the low frequency bleed in Mid range, effects decay(little tighter)

Material: dynamat or other alternative,dynaxorb or other alternative, blutack

Remove earpads, u will see the baffle with screws. Dont open it now, cut dynaxorb and in shape of baffle with opening for speaker(lol) and screws and paste it.

Open the screws

As u can see they are already having back diffuser polyfill sheet(we will talk about it later)

At speakers back, paste dynamat allover the cup(even the ring), dont cover holes, it can affect SQ..

2. Basswave trap

Material Dynaxorb

On back of cup, remove the polyfil sheet(dont throw it away)...

Paste dynaxorb everywhere where u think backwave travels too..

Add back polyfill in the holder back

What we got out of this mod is

Lower decay(tight sound or nice word would be seperation of instruments)

Lower resonance(clean and black sound)

Reason from front damping with foam...

Our ear is made of irregular shape..foam in front of driver adds a little mass plus the sound diverted to random direction inside ear cups are absorbed. Unwanted resonance existing still then also get aborbed.

Dynaxorb behind polyfill..less tightening of basswave but still there but clears resolution of mid bass and airy upper treble

Butyl damping behind the speaker and everywhere...damps the bass to mids level and kills resonance.

Ring damper damped with screws already is damped with butyl damping sheet helps in sub bass rumble and lower mids resolution

Change earpads to shure 840 now..

This helps in changing the SQ of whats not getting changed in M50x.

Dont close any holes and open space

Furthur more...

If u guys like... sparsely stuff it with teared cotton to bring mids up and lower decay more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back