Markl Mod D2000 without woodcups
Apr 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

driftingbunnies

1000+ Head-Fier
There hasn't been much talk of the markl modded denons for a while but I was wondering if it's worth it to get the markl mods without getting the woodcups. I'm getting a friend of mine to help mod it but I'm not sure if I should just buy the cups and send it to him so I can just get everything done with. What do you guys think?

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Not much talk because so many flagship headphones have been released in the last few years that these mods don't make much sense economically. Maybe it made sense to pay Lawton Audio or Headphile to mod headphones when the only alternative was the HD650s, but that's not the case anymore. Nowadays why spend a lot of coin to have Lawton Audio spiff up a set of Denons when you could just buy some LCD-2s or T1s? The resale value of the former will drop like a rock, while you could recoup most of what you paid for the latter. Moreover, the LCD-2s are just better headphones.

So do the mod yourself, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money just for some wood cups on what are now regarded as second tier headphones.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 12
I already have a pair of LCD-2's. I'm looking for an office rig and though I would give it a try. I was thinking the same thing too about how many new cans came out but i don't think it's a great idea to bring a HE-6 or LCD2 to the office. I'm getting a friend to do my mods so it's basically at cost. 

It seems like they went out of business anyway so i guess it might be impossible to get the wood cups now.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 12
He responded to my email a couple of weeks ago and told me he's discontinuing the current wood cup line and introducing a new line that's way more expensive. That's a very bad idea if you ask me.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
really? i had email communication with him last month....

e-mailed him 3 days ago and got an email in 2 days.. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
That really sucks. I'm pretty sure that move will attract even less customers. There's no magical wood out there that will bump the Denons to LCD-2/HE-6 levels.

Neither is there any magical wood that will bump the LCD-2/HE-6's musical enjoyment factor to Denon levels ^_^*

As for the MarkL mods are you just talking about the dampening and pads or are you talking about the cable too? If it's just the dampening and stuffing the pads then I don't really see the big deal as it costs less than $20 to do that.  If you're talking about the cable then I wouldn't bother because with that price you might as well just buy a D7K instead. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Sure there is. It's already on the LCD-2

It's all preference man.  Sometimes it doesn't come down to how well someone can hear the timbre of alanis morissette adjusting her bra in one of her live performances.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
It's all preference man.  Sometimes it doesn't come down to how well someone can hear the timbre of alanis morissette adjusting her bra in one of her live performances.

Dude but how epic would that be to be able to point out to people that that is actually happening. I mean I definitely wouldn't want it to sound robotic or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back