Markl Lettter in the May 2003 Sterophile
Apr 9, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #47 of 85
Hey, may be they heard you before this because on the past week they added to archives an Etymotic ER-4s review from 1995. The reviewer Wes Philips liked the Etys a lot.

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Maybe the Gilmore V2.0 should have spot on the list too

If I recall correctly, one of the things the markl mentioned when he first started getting ideas for the content of his letter was that Stereophile will not review or recommend anything that is not available commercially. Mark, correct me if I am wrong.

Apr 9, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #50 of 85
JMT, that's right. I believe it was discussed in one of the threads that Stereophile has very particular rules about what can and cannot be reviewed. It's even likely that some of the components listed in the actual letter don't qualify, but home-built amps almost certainly will not.

Mark

Apr 9, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
Was there any reply from Stereophile?

Nope.

Apr 9, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I haven't recieved my copy yet. Sometimes I wonder what kind of cycle they run on.

I haven't gotten my copy yet as well, maybe by the end of the week
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #53 of 85
My May 2003 Stereophile finally showed up today (that's why I subscribe; you get the very best service
mad.gif
)

Outside of the unnecessary use of jargon, I felt the letter was well written and useful to attract attention to a wrongly ignored area of audio.

One question: Were the AudioValve RKV Mk II and the HeadRoom amps such as the Maxed Out Home (Reference) omitted from the list of selected amps for some reason? Has Stereophile already reviewed these?

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
If I recall correctly, one of the things the markl mentioned when he first started getting ideas for the content of his letter was that Stereophile will not review or recommend anything that is not available commercially. Mark, correct me if I am wrong.

This is true and in addition the product has to be available at a certain number of dealerships in the US. I think this has been bypassed on occasion though, like in the case of Musical Fidelity which was only available through, I believe it was, Audio Advisor.

Apr 16, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #58 of 85
Got mine as well. The letter looks nice in print.

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #59 of 85
I received my stereophile today...and enjoyed reading the letter. My beef really is the absence of a follow-up from the editor. People...the key for us now..is to write in....I mean PILES of letters...some may be printed...others might not be....maybe not a single one...but if say 4000 folks from Head-fi all of a sudden wrote to Stereophile the impression would be huge and our voice would have been heard. This is the starting block...we have to finish the race.

Apr 17, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #60 of 85
Zanth is right. Go to www.stereophile.com and write them a quick e-mail about the letter and headphones in general. Tell them you'd certainly subscribe if they had more headphone coverage, which is probably true.
wink.gif

Wonder if anyone has come here for the first time due to the letter yet. Maybe people are just now getting their copies in the mail, though.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back