Markl Lettter in the May 2003 Sterophile
Apr 8, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #33 of 85
Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Last issue I picked up was the March 2003. I'm going to pick up the May issue for sure.

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #34 of 85
Nice letter markl.

I haven't seen the Stereophile the letter is in yet but I remember from one of the earlier threads stating how some people hang aroung head-fi long after they are set in their headphone rig.

That's me.

I don't post much but I consider myself a member of this community and I always chime in when I have something to add. I came here specifically to learn about headphones and I learned enough to get myself a good rig. Now I continue to log in and check out the forums because......

actually, I'm not sure why I stay. I guess I'm somewhat of a lurker. all I can say is head-fi is one of the few sites i make sure i visit at least once a day.

Cheers!

MJ

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I certainly hope that they don't influence us to spend money. That certainly would screw up the neighborhood.

LOL. Maybe it is the last thing we need, I mean most people seem to be happy with $800 ICs, if stereophile people come in they might lead us to temptation with their $1500+ ICs.
eek.gif

Anyway, markl... Glad to see they finally published it. If they do start doing some of your suggestions I might have to subscribe too.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #37 of 85
congrats markl, a little perserverance goes a long way. the letter was published because it was well written and may alot of good points. I also agree that one of the positives of this whole thing is that some knowledgeable people may be turned to this forum with some good things to add.

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #38 of 85
i'm not sure when you wrote the letter, but in the april issue in Sams Space was the first time i can remember them testing the headphone jack on an amplifier. he used rs-1 and hd600 to check out the jack on the atoll int. amp. so maybe your letter already is having an effect? congrats mark.

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #40 of 85
Markl,

Great letter. What's ironic to me is that I will not be receiving that issue of Stereophile, as I've just chosen not to renew my subscription. While Sam Tellig's column probably is worth the $11.97 a year, the rest of the magazine has become a bloated dinosaur. Certainly, your suggestions are a step in the right direction (although I'd bet that 90% of the amps reviewed in Stereophile don't have a headphone jack), but I've started a sub to The Absolute Sound. It's funny how those two mags have kind of switched places.

Anyway, kudos to you on the letter; I just hope it doesn't spoil our cult-like status. I enjoy freaking people out by showing them pictures of my Microzotl (which, BTW, used to be your Microzotl-- I bought it from Grinch. I should have a pair of Sony 3000's to go with it in a couple of weeks).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

Mark, may I ask why none of the headroom amplifers made it on the "crème de la crème" list?

The Headroom amps are already in their Recommended Components issue along with HD600 and various Grados. Wanted them to look at new products. Right now, I wish I could drop the Headmaster or the EMP off the list to add the Emmeline HR-2.
tongue.gif

dave,
Congrats on the ZOTL, should go great with CD3K's.

Mark

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #42 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
The Headroom amps are already in their Recommended Right now, I wish I could drop the Headmaster or the EMP off the list to add the Emmeline HR-2.
tongue.gif

I see, i think i remember reading something like that a while ago now you've mentioned it. Maybe the Gilmore V2.0 should have spot on the list too, just to show the skills and knowledge this DIY community has.
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #45 of 85
Has anyone found it in-store yet? I'm worried that if I got to Tower Records and they don't have the issue, I will be tempted to spend money on other things, so I should wait until it actually shows up on the shelf somewhere (like B&N).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back