Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #587 of 970
Yeah I am not too pragmatically worried esp sicne the passive mode works. Chances are ill upgrade before its unusable. 500 full charge cycles before you get 20% degradation which is about 2 years before you get only 24hrs instead of 30. Not really that bad imo. It would be 9hrs even 10 years later!

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #588 of 970
Yeah I am not too pragmatically worried esp sicne the passive mode works. Chances are ill upgrade before its unusable. 500 full charge cycles before you get 20% degradation which is about 2 years before you get only 24hrs instead of 30. Not really that bad imo. It would be 9hrs even 10 years later!
Yeah you're right. I think I was being a bit dramatic earlier, but I still think it's a bad look from Mark Levinson regardless. With that being said, I'm going to keep these cans. I had the chance to test out the Bathys tonight and the ANC is such a disappointment. Basically, when you have the ANC on and walk around with the headphones, the volume will drop ever so slightly with each footstep. I guess this is more noticeable for some people more so than others (or maybe it's because I've used a ton of ANC cans in the past so this REALLY sticks out to me), but it makes it damn near unusuable.

On the top that, the 5909s are on a different level of sound compared to the Bathys IMO. The Bathys still sound great, but the 5909s are really in a class of their own when it comes to the bluetooth game. The only benefit I'd give to the Bathys (and really this is more a personal one tbf) as that the Bathys fit around the head much more firmly than the 5909s, so if you're moving around a lot (or in my case) wanting to use them in the gym, they will stay on the head very firmly.

Regardless, I'm going to be contacting Crutchfield tomorrow to start a return of the Bathys.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #589 of 970
Honestly I'm not sure why they don't offer it. I really do think most people wouldn't use it because at 5-10 years people will be looking to upgrade (for the most part) so it really is more a CS gesture than any real commitment.

Especially for me I use these on the go but I tend to also use IEMs and tw earbuds

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #590 of 970
Yeah you're right. I think I was being a bit dramatic earlier, but I still think it's a bad look from Mark Levinson regardless. With that being said, I'm going to keep these cans. I had the chance to test out the Bathys tonight and the ANC is such a disappointment. Basically, when you have the ANC on and walk around with the headphones, the volume will drop ever so slightly with each footstep. I guess this is more noticeable for some people more so than others (or maybe it's because I've used a ton of ANC cans in the past so this REALLY sticks out to me), but it makes it damn near unusuable.

On the top that, the 5909s are on a different level of sound compared to the Bathys IMO. The Bathys still sound great, but the 5909s are really in a class of their own when it comes to the bluetooth game. The only benefit I'd give to the Bathys (and really this is more a personal one tbf) as that the Bathys fit around the head much more firmly than the 5909s, so if you're moving around a lot (or in my case) wanting to use them in the gym, they will stay on the head very firmly.

Regardless, I'm going to be contacting Crutchfield tomorrow to start a return of the Bathys.

Likewise, I'm keeping mine with a view to adding a DAC. These headphones are superb sounding, comfortable and convenient. Have wondered if the manufacturer's warranty could be extended.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #591 of 970
Likewise, I'm keeping mine with a view to adding a DAC. These headphones are superb sounding, comfortable and convenient. Have wondered if the manufacturer's warranty could be extended.
Yeah, like Benesyed said above, I doubt this will actually be an issue in the long run, it's just more of a gesture to show confidence for customers in case there is an issue with the battery in the future on $1,000 headphones, you know?

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #592 of 970
I was offered an additional 5 year warranty extension for $180 at WW Audio but I went with audio46 that offers 3 year accident protection plan for $280.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #593 of 970
I bought these on a 30 day trial, looking for a good quality Bluetooth headphone to primarily wear in the house streaming from Bluesound NODE and FIIO M11 Dap.

I wasn’t expecting to be wowed, and fully expected to send them back. However, these are not only being kept, they may also mean that I may sell my Senn HD820’s.

Bluetooth connection is very good, but it’s when you connect passively that they stand out, especially with a good DAC, through the RME ADI2 they sound sublime, very balanced and an easy listen, they are just a pleasure to listen to.

I am tempted to buy the Chord HUGO 2, don’t know why but I think that could be a winner combination.

For me these are a revelation, well worth the money and a sonic treat.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #594 of 970
I bought these on a 30 day trial, looking for a good quality Bluetooth headphone to primarily wear in the house streaming from Bluesound NODE and FIIO M11 Dap.

I wasn’t expecting to be wowed, and fully expected to send them back. However, these are not only being kept, they may also mean that I may sell my Senn HD820’s.

Bluetooth connection is very good, but it’s when you connect passively that they stand out, especially with a good DAC, through the RME ADI2 they sound sublime, very balanced and an easy listen, they are just a pleasure to listen to.

I am tempted to buy the Chord HUGO 2, don’t know why but I think that could be a winner combination.

For me these are a revelation, well worth the money and a sonic treat.

Pity the RME ADI2 didn't have an iOS app otherwise I'd be very tempted.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #597 of 970
I should explain that due to sight loss, DACs with screens are not accessible hence an app to enable me to make any changes in the settings. Regardless, I appreciate your feedback as I'm constantly learning with this hobby.
How about the Chord Qutest, that is set by colours, and is better than the RME as a straight Dac, imho

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #599 of 970
Will look at that for sure as I previously owned a Mojo 2 but returned it due to multiple reports of white noise.
To be fair, the white noise issue was blown way out proportion. I’ve had an episode of white noise on many of my DAPa and portable DACs.
White noise is not unique to Chord.

Having owned Hugo 2, I preferred (and sold the hugo2/2go) the Mojo 2. The sonic difference is negligible on the 5909. I’m not an EQ fan, but the DSP helps “fix” poorly mastered material. The 5909 is not forgiving of poor source material as I’m sure you’ve realized.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #600 of 970
To be fair, the white noise issue was blown way out proportion. I’ve had an episode of white noise on many of my DAPa and portable DACs.
White noise is not unique to Chord.

Having owned Hugo 2, I preferred (and sold the hugo2/2go) the Mojo 2. The sonic difference is negligible on the 5909. I’m not an EQ fan, but the DSP helps “fix” poorly mastered material. The 5909 is not forgiving of poor source material as I’m sure you’ve realized.
Oooh so you would recommend the Mojo 2 over the Hugo. Does it have USB C in now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back