Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #601 of 979
Why are y'all listening to poorly mastered music 😂

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #602 of 979
Oooh so you would recommend the Mojo 2 over the Hugo. Does it have USB C in now?
I would for the 5909, yes. It has usb c input.
I’m sure the DSP technology is going to filter up to the Hugo 2.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #603 of 979
I bought these on a 30 day trial, looking for a good quality Bluetooth headphone to primarily wear in the house streaming from Bluesound NODE and FIIO M11 Dap.

I wasn’t expecting to be wowed, and fully expected to send them back. However, these are not only being kept, they may also mean that I may sell my Senn HD820’s.

Bluetooth connection is very good, but it’s when you connect passively that they stand out, especially with a good DAC, through the RME ADI2 they sound sublime, very balanced and an easy listen, they are just a pleasure to listen to.

I am tempted to buy the Chord HUGO 2, don’t know why but I think that could be a winner combination.

For me these are a revelation, well worth the money and a sonic treat.

100% Agreed. I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'm seriously considering selling my Stellia's given how great the 5909s sound connected to an external amp. You combine that with the comfort (I'd say these are on the same level as my Meze Elites in terms of wearing them all day without any kind of fatigue) and these can easily be end game Closed Backs for 99% of people (including us audiophiles).

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #604 of 979
100% Agreed. I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'm seriously considering selling my Stellia's given how great the 5909s sound connected to an external amp. You combine that with the comfort (I'd say these are on the same level as my Meze Elites in terms of wearing them all day without any kind of fatigue) and these can easily be end game Closed Backs for 99% of people (including us audiophiles).
I agree. I have been so impressed with the ML 5909 in passive wired mode (been driving them recently with a Go Bar Gold 10th Anniversary dongle). They are really nice (and the Gold Bar pairing cools down that occasionally hot treble). Been comparing them to the Clear OG, and if it weren't for the open back benefit of airiness and reduced hearing fatigue (at least for me), I couldn't justify keeping the Clear OG on SQ improvement alone.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #608 of 979
I agree. I have been so impressed with the ML 5909 in passive wired mode (been driving them recently with a Go Bar Gold 10th Anniversary dongle). They are really nice (and the Gold Bar pairing cools down that occasionally hot treble). Been comparing them to the Clear OG, and if it weren't for the open back benefit of airiness and reduced hearing fatigue (at least for me), I couldn't justify keeping the Clear OG on SQ improvement alone.
I've been impressed with the passive mode as well! I chose this pair over the PX8s which doesn't have that feature

I'm gonna try to pair the 5909s with Mojo2 and hear how that sounds.

Nov 27, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #609 of 979
I've been impressed with the passive mode as well! I chose this pair over the PX8s which doesn't have that feature

I'm gonna try to pair the 5909s with Mojo2 and hear how that sounds.
Curious about your avatar. Is that the cover of a CD/album you like?

Nov 29, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #613 of 979
Review of ML 5909, Focal Bathys and B&W PX 8:

Nice review, but he neglects to mention that the 5909 has a true passive mode while the Bathys does not. The Bathys wasn't released until after I had purchased my 5909. When I heard about them, I immediately started to wonder if I should have waited for a bit and bought the Bathys instead of the 5909, especially since the Bathys is cheaper. But after further investigation, I realized that the lack of a true passive mode was a deal breaker for me. I'd wager that the 5909 connected passively to a good external DAC like a Chord Mojo 2 (which is what I use) sounds better than the Bathys.

Bottom line, the 5909 is the more versatile headphone: an already superb bluetooth headphone with upgradeable sound quality when connected passively to a good DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #614 of 979
Yeah I found it. Very strange that in the comments section. Headphones.com denied that there was a true passive mode even though you can use these headphones completely turned off. No electronics running

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #615 of 979
Nice review, but he neglects to mention that the 5909 has a true passive mode while the Bathys does not. The Bathys wasn't released until after I had purchased my 5909. When I heard about them, I immediately started to wonder if I should have waited for a bit and bought the Bathys instead of the 5909, especially since the Bathys is cheaper. But after further investigation, I realized that the lack of a true passive mode was a deal breaker for me. I'd wager that the 5909 connected passively to a good external DAC like a Chord Mojo 2 (which is what I use) sounds better than the Bathys.

Bottom line, the 5909 is the more versatile headphone: an already superb bluetooth headphone with upgradeable sound quality when connected passively to a good DAC.

Yep. I personally found the 5909 to be one level above the Bathys in sound quality (at least on Android where you have access to LDAC) but I didn't like this review at all. I have nothing against resolve, but, I've found he has a certain sound preference when it comes to headphones and he lets that cloud his opinion on how well a headphone performs (case and point with his description of the PX8).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back