Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #616 of 976
Yeah I found it. Very strange that in the comments section. Headphones.com denied that there was a true passive mode even though you can use these headphones completely turned off. No electronics running
Just to clarify, the comment was meant to indicate there's no 3.5mm analog input - but as users have pointed out it's still possible to run it passively. I'll reserve commentary on if there would be any difference with various amps and DACs but I'd expect the FR to be the same as otherwise that would mean there are multiple layers of DSP going on... which would be surprising. Still I will test this next time I'm at the studio, thanks for bringing it up!

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #617 of 976
Yep. I personally found the 5909 to be one level above the Bathys in sound quality (at least on Android where you have access to LDAC) but I didn't like this review at all. I have nothing against resolve, but, I've found he has a certain sound preference when it comes to headphones and he lets that cloud his opinion on how well a headphone performs (case and point with his description of the PX8).

I think I agree with him that the PX8 is the inferior of the three but I don't think it's bad. Now admittedly, I have not heard the same degree of high tier headphones that he has, but in terms of relative degree to each other, I don't think the PX8 especially with EQ to boost the mids is atrocious. I think it was well priced at 550 when they originally announced it.

I also have not heard the Sennheiser momentum wireless so I can't compare those at all.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #618 of 976
Just to clarify, the comment was meant to indicate there's no 3.5mm analog input - but as users have pointed out it's still possible to run it passively. I'll reserve commentary on if there would be any difference with various amps and DACs but I'd expect the FR to be the same as otherwise that would mean there are multiple layers of DSP going on... which would be surprising. Still I will test this next time I'm at the studio, thanks for bringing it up!

Thanks! Maybe I am naive but I thought if you are in true passive mode, all the DSP is occurring via the digital audio player and not at all through the headphones themselves?

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #620 of 976
I'm still waiting on the Mojo 2 but I can say that simply running the cans off of my Sony phone sounds great and I have full control of Eq.
You'll like running the 5909 in passive mode from mojo 2.

That's my bedtime listening situation.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #621 of 976
Hi , I'm trying to connect my 5909 to my lg E9 which I've paired to the tv but when I try and connect it just lasts about 4 or 5 seconds and disconnects no matter what I try , any ideas.....? I am running a Sonos arc system through earc if that helps , thanks in advance 👍

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #622 of 976
I’m getting confused reg these and the bathys. Can there be used effective switched off with a mojo 2? If so does the frequency response change?

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #623 of 976
I think I agree with him that the PX8 is the inferior of the three but I don't think it's bad. Now admittedly, I have not heard the same degree of high tier headphones that he has, but in terms of relative degree to each other, I don't think the PX8 especially with EQ to boost the mids is atrocious. I think it was well priced at 550 when they originally announced it.

I also have not heard the Sennheiser momentum wireless so I can't compare those at all.
OK, so I've tried out all three. I'd rank the Mark Levinson as the best overall sounding headphone, followed by the Focal Bathys, and lastly the PX8. Which one did I keep out of the 3? The PX8. Why? The other two have a diaphragm popping noise when you walk with them on. For headphones designed to be mobile, that was super annoying. So, I kept the PX8 despite the worse sound and annoying auto off feature (you can turn it off) because it does the job it's supposed to. Also, if you use the PX8 app, it sounds way better and louder than just using Tidal through Bluetooth - no clue why, but it really does shine through the app. You can also EQ it to your tastes - all of that for cheaper than either the Bathys or the 5909. If I really want good sound, I'll use my desktop setup.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #625 of 976
I’m getting confused reg these and the bathys. Can there be used effective switched off with a mojo 2? If so does the frequency response change?
The 5909 can be used turned off or battery dead passively. The sound quality is not “gimped” like Bose and Sony headphones.

I run them passive mode to Mojo 2 daily. I’ve put my Focal Stellia in a drawer for now because the 5909 are that good.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #626 of 976
Hi , I'm trying to connect my 5909 to my lg E9 which I've paired to the tv but when I try and connect it just lasts about 4 or 5 seconds and disconnects no matter what I try , any ideas.....? I am running a Sonos arc system through earc if that helps , thanks in advance 👍

In the app, clikc on settings and toggle on ear detection off.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #628 of 976
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #629 of 976

Users who are viewing this thread

Back