Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #961 of 970
I recently had the opportunity to test the Mark Levinson 5909, Bathys, and T+A Solitaire T headphones. Initially, when comparing the Bathys with the Mark Levinson 5909, I noted that the Bathys resembled the sound of the Meze 109 Pro in wireless mode, but this similarity did not extend to wired mode. In my opinion, the 5909 stood out for its more vibrant and lively sound, nearly convincing me to choose it over the Bathys due to its superior audio quality.

However, my perspective shifted upon trying the Solitaire T. I found the 5909’s treble to be overly bright and sparkly, which I found challenging to enjoy over extended periods due to my sensitivity to treble brightness. In contrast, the Solitaire T offered a more agreeable treble presentation, especially in wireless mode. When used in wired mode, the Solitaire T elevated its performance even further, delivering a rich and vibrant sound reminiscent of the Meze Audio Elite’s saturated tonality, as noted in John Grandberg’s review on Darko Audio. The Solitaire T’s well-balanced sound and exceptional clarity further made the choice obvious for me.

Despite this, the Mark Levinson 5909 did impress me, particularly for its wireless performance. It’s remarkable to see such a diverse range of sound characteristics across the Bathys, 5909, and Solitaire T headphones, offering a variety of choices for audiophiles.

Additionally, I’m currently evaluating the IFI Xsds Gryphon, using it to stream Qobuz and Tidal on an iPhone 14 Pro Max and an AK SE 300, paired with the Solitaire. The combination, especially with the SE 300 as the streamer, has been notably impressive, enhancing my listening experience further.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #962 of 970
At the moment, I'm going through the process of the top of the line bluetooth headphone testing as most of you have done already. I've started with the Bathys - not my cup of tea, sonically and I also could not live with the coarse volume steps, as some others have also described.

Then came the Mark Levinson 5909. IMO almost the perfect headphones for me with two drawbacks: First of all, the app is not really useful as it requires a complete recoupling every time which is too annoying and most of the time not worth the functionality.
But the biggest drawback for me is that I can hear some crackling noises once in a while (I would say about once per minute on average). It's so subtle that I thought it might have been in the music at first. But then I realized it's not. And it's also not related to a bad bluetooth connection, as it's even worse when I connect the headphones via USB C Cable (DAC mode).
When I connect via analog cable, the noises do not occur, even in active mode, everything is totally fine (for me the most surprising part of the phenomenon)...
So my question to the 5909 owners out there: have you ever noticed anything like that? Or is the DAC of my unit broken somehow?
If every 5909 unit has this problem, I think my last option would be the Dali IO-12, but it has no LDAC and it might be one step too far into the "not mobile home equipment" territory for me...

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #966 of 970
The crackling is when you have the headphone paired with more than one device.
Unpair form all but one device at a time to stop this.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #967 of 970
Hi, I apologize if this is not the right place but I would like to share it anyway.

My journey began quite some ago with V-Moda M-200 ANC. These headphones were good but when I compared them to the previous ones I owned (Crossfade 2 Wireless Rose Gold edition) the jump was not that big to justify the price tag. After some time I started to see some wear and tear so I started to search for new headphones. When I compared them to the Sony WH-1000XM5 I was not convinced that I would like to go that path. Sony has superior ANC (even when compared to Mark Levinson) but when I compared them to the V-Moda I simply did not like the sound (dont take me wrong if someone would ask me if htey should buy V-Moda ANC ones or Sony I would say Sony just because of the ANC). I wanted just better sound.

Here comes this forum. I knew about Mark Levinson for quite a while but the price was bit higher than I was willing to accept. Due to some unfortunate events which yields into damaging V-Moda I was basically "forced" to buy new headphones. After almost half a year and quite a lot of thinking/reading I bought this headphones. I was thinking about Focal Bathys as well but I couldnt find store where I could listen to them (which was also important factor to me, I have no doubt that the Focal would sound better than V.Moda but without listening to them I cannot tell whether I would like them or not).

My impressions
Appearance - these hadphones are big, definitely bigger than V-Moda;
As for sound - the lows are not on the same level as for V-Moda, mids and highs are much better. It is still taking me some time to accomodate to their sound but honestly - I do not regret. The sound is much cleaner, the lows can be enhanced through app and with ANC they are almost on par witht the V-Moda (please note that it is only subjectevly speaking, everyone has different ears). My apology to the people here because I am not audiphile so I am not going (cannot) into technical details. I just like good sound. There are only two issues I spotted (also mentioned in this forum) - the lows with enabled ANC are much more present than without ANC, also the headphones do incorectly detect whether I have them on head or if they are down, so I cannot use on head detection).

Last but not least - huge thanks to everyone here (yes I read this forum over the last few months) to help me decide to buy these headphones.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #968 of 970
I’ve always prioritized my Hi Fi system and only been an occasional headphone user whilst on the go or in bed.

However, we now have a baby about to arrive so I really need to make sure I still get my music fix!

I use the Sony MX1000XM3 for podcasts and convenience and bought the Mark Levingson 5909 to use for music.

I have a Roon Server with several streaming end points across the house.

I’m an iphone user so have so far really only been using the ML 5909 connected to my iphone using either Roon or the Tidal app, using the AAC Bluetooth codec.

The sound is not bad, but I’ve now tried a couple of other routes.

Tried plugging the wired USB C into my Macbook and headphones and streaming using Roon, not overly impressed really, does this take the headphones out of active mode, which DAC is being used here?

Anyway, more successful was connecting to one of my Bluesound Powernodes (2022 version), here I was able to get Bluetooth APTX HD which did to me sound noticeably more full range and dynamic than AAC from my iphone. I’m not sure if that’s the codec or just that the Powernode is a better source full stop. The lower sub bass registers on some tracks that I could not previously hear via Iphone/AAC were there and there was a bit more detail and clarity.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth from the Powernode in the kitchen does not reach the bedroom where I will probably do most of my streaming (or baby screaming!)

So what would I buy that will work with roon and send the best quality Bluetooth audio to the ML Headphones?

Another Bluesound product, one of the Wiim streamers?

Also Looking at the Fiio R7 that does have LDAC….

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Wired might be ok if next to bed but probably want wireless given the baby mayhem that may be about to ensue.

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #969 of 970
At the moment, I'm going through the process of the top of the line bluetooth headphone testing as most of you have done already. I've started with the Bathys - not my cup of tea, sonically and I also could not live with the coarse volume steps, as some others have also described.

Then came the Mark Levinson 5909. IMO almost the perfect headphones for me with two drawbacks: First of all, the app is not really useful as it requires a complete recoupling every time which is too annoying and most of the time not worth the functionality.
But the biggest drawback for me is that I can hear some crackling noises once in a while (I would say about once per minute on average). It's so subtle that I thought it might have been in the music at first. But then I realized it's not. And it's also not related to a bad bluetooth connection, as it's even worse when I connect the headphones via USB C Cable (DAC mode).
When I connect via analog cable, the noises do not occur, even in active mode, everything is totally fine (for me the most surprising part of the phenomenon)...
So my question to the 5909 owners out there: have you ever noticed anything like that? Or is the DAC of my unit broken somehow?
If every 5909 unit has this problem, I think my last option would be the Dali IO-12, but it has no LDAC and it might be one step too far into the "not mobile home equipment" territory for me...
I've found the Dali's to be pretty mobile. Took them on my trip to Asia (Bangkok, Bali, Taiwan) and had no issues. I was also between the 5909s and the Dalis and went to the Dali's because of my experience with the 5909s Customer Service left a lot to be desired.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #970 of 970
My "leather" headband separated along the seam, so the red stitching clearly is decorative. I used Scotch branded no-run super glue to hold the two sides of the headband in place and haven't had any issues since.
Could you explain exactly how you glued the cheap pleather headband back together after it peeled away? Mine has just come unstuck after 3 months of use, though thankfully I had read this thread and so was prepared for it, especially as I live in a country with 90% humidity at 33c heat.

I just don't want to botch it when I glue the leather back in, and be left with an ugly set. Thank you for any help you can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back