Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #931 of 970
Hi,
I just started an audition of the Mark Levison 5909 and Focal Bathys headphones last Friday. In wireless mode, my initial read was that the 5909 was audibly better. Will keep auditioning in wireless and wired mode connected to various devices. A couple of observations: the wireless connection of the 5909 to an AK SE with Qobuz and Tidal at the highest levels was very impressive. The Bathys sounded good but without LDAC not even close. Both connected wirelessly to my IPhone 14 Pro Max was not even close. I picked up an Apple Thunderbolt 4 yesterday afternoon and hooked the 5909 in wired mode to my IPad Mini and IPad 12.9 Pro (both current versions) and was surprised. First, the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable sounded remarkably better than the USB C cable; moreover, the 12.9 was impressive and the mini was good. I know that the web says there is no difference between the USB C cable and Thunderbolt 4 from an audible point of view because the difference is data capability between the two but if you can get your hands on a Thunderbolt 4 and IPad 12.9 (latest edition) connected to either Qobuz or Tidal at HD level, IMO you are likely to be very impressed and pleased. Last point — when both the 5909 and Bathys are connected to an Aurender A10/Linear Tube Audio Mz 3 and compared to LCD X or Meze 109 pro (both with upgraded Wywires Platinum headphone cables), the bubble is burst; in that configuration neither the 5909 nor Bathys are comparable — still good.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #932 of 970
Hi,
I just started an audition of the Mark Levison 5909 and Focal Bathys headphones last Friday. In wireless mode, my initial read was that the 5909 was audibly better. Will keep auditioning in wireless and wired mode connected to various devices. A couple of observations: the wireless connection of the 5909 to an AK SE with Qobuz and Tidal at the highest levels was very impressive. The Bathys sounded good but without LDAC not even close. Both connected wirelessly to my IPhone 14 Pro Max was not even close. I picked up an Apple Thunderbolt 4 yesterday afternoon and hooked the 5909 in wired mode to my IPad Mini and IPad 12.9 Pro (both current versions) and was surprised. First, the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable sounded remarkably better than the USB C cable; moreover, the 12.9 was impressive and the mini was good. I know that the web says there is no difference between the USB C cable and Thunderbolt 4 from an audible point of view because the difference is data capability between the two but if you can get your hands on a Thunderbolt 4 and IPad 12.9 (latest edition) connected to either Qobuz or Tidal at HD level, IMO you are likely to be very impressed and pleased. Last point — when both the 5909 and Bathys are connected to an Aurender A10/Linear Tube Audio Mz 3 and compared to LCD X or Meze 109 pro (both with upgraded Wywires Platinum headphone cables), the bubble is burst; in that configuration neither the 5909 nor Bathys are comparable — still good.
Well,
I just saw the T+A Solitaire headphone open box with full USA warranty and in new condition for 15% off with free shipping, no restocking fee and return label from vendor if I decide to return for around $30 with vendor insuring return. I will compare to the 5909 and Bathys but based on my current assessment, it will likely be a comparison between the 5909 and Solitaire. Any thoughts?

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #933 of 970
Well,
I just saw the T+A Solitaire headphone open box with full USA warranty and in new condition for 15% off with free shipping, no restocking fee and return label from vendor if I decide to return for around $30 with vendor insuring return. I will compare to the 5909 and Bathys but based on my current assessment, it will likely be a comparison between the 5909 and Solitaire. Any thoughts?
I am an owner of the 5909, but I have been looking at the T+A solitaires for quite a while, so I have no thoughts, but I would be quite interested in your comparison :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #935 of 970
I love the 5909s. They seem to work very well with the Fiio btr7. The best thing is you can fit the btr7 in the zip pouch in the 5909 case. It makes it super portable.
Just curious: what do you use the BTR7 for? What source do you use? If your BTR7 is connected to the source through Bluetooth or USB, have you considered (and compared sound quality?) connecting the 5909 directly to that source, either through Bluetooth or USB?

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #936 of 970
I need your opinion I bought the 5909 to used off of eBay. They worked fine for a while and then I noticed on phone calls they just constantly turn off the headset I couldn’t get a refund on eBay so I bought another pair brand new and within a week or two the same problem occurred with the new pair of headphones. My question is, has anybody else experienced the 5909s turning off during phone calls

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #937 of 970
I need your opinion I bought the 5909 to used off of eBay. They worked fine for a while and then I noticed on phone calls they just constantly turn off the headset I couldn’t get a refund on eBay so I bought another pair brand new and within a week or two the same problem occurred with the new pair of headphones. My question is, has anybody else experienced the 5909s turning off during phone calls
Never had that experience in 1.5 year of frequent call use. Occasional BT drops, yes. But turn offs no.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #938 of 970
Never had that experience in 1.5 year of frequent call use. Occasional BT drops, yes. But turn offs no.
well, thank you for your reply. It’s just that this is baffling me. The Sound is the best I’ve heard out of any wireless headset I’m just frustrated that when I’m on the phone I my unit at least just keeps turning off and I have to constantly turn it back on to continue talking through the headset

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #939 of 970
Just curious: what do you use the BTR7 for? What source do you use? If your BTR7 is connected to the source through Bluetooth or USB, have you considered (and compared sound quality?) connecting the 5909 directly to that source, either through Bluetooth or USB?
The 5909 sounds very good via bluetooth. I oftentimes use the BTR 7 with my phone and wired into the 5909. It sounds really good and gives it much more volume as well.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #941 of 970
my 5909 (bought 2nd hand) also experienced the same problem initially. i've tried contact harman when the problem first surfaced. but harman told me the warranty is not transferrable and they couldn't do anything for me. i then tried many different way to fix this (e.g. turning off the wearing sensor, resetting, etc.) and none works. i once suspected it's due to vibration or humidity. but anyway, miraculously the problem disappeared without any reasonable after a month or so after i just left the 5909 sitting on shelf. it just worked without any issue again when i picked up and listen again. not sure if this is a common scenario.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #943 of 970
The 5909 sound is really stunning. The more I hear, the more impressed I am. fantastic with the BDT 600. I am a real fan now.
my 5909 (bought 2nd hand) also experienced the same problem initially. i've tried contact harman when the problem first surfaced. but harman told me the warranty is not transferrable and they couldn't do anything for me. i then tried many different way to fix this (e.g. turning off the wearing sensor, resetting, etc.) and none works. i once suspected it's due to vibration or humidity. but anyway, miraculously the problem disappeared without any reasonable after a month or so after i just left the 5909 sitting on shelf. it just worked without any issue again when i picked up and listen again. not sure if this is a common scenario.
Well at least I know I’m not crazy. Mind have been sitting on the shelf as well. I think I’m gonna pull them out and give them some time and see what happens. Maybe the same thing might happen for me They’re just a good sounding headphone and it’s a waste that you can’t take full advantage of what they can do.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #944 of 970
Well at least I know I’m not crazy. Mind have been sitting on the shelf as well. I think I’m gonna pull them out and give them some time and see what happens. Maybe the same thing might happen for me They’re just a good sounding headphone and it’s a waste that you can’t take full advantage of what they can do.
Just on a long haul flight from the UK to Melbourne (via Dubai), and this has been my first use of the 5909s on a flight. What can I say? Stunning, whether connected Bluetooth to my s24U or connected via a wire and the supplied flight adapter to Emirate's ICE system. ANC has done a brilliant job of cancelling out engine and cabin noise, and they've been super comfortable too. I've worn them for about 14 hours, on and off. Very pleased indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back