Marantz HD-DAC1
Jun 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #407 of 1,283
  My HFM HE500 have an impedance of 38 ohm, but i don't face any noising problems, even when setting the gain at the highest ... 

How do you like the sound quality of your HE-500s when driven by the HD-DAC1? I haven't found too many HFM / HD-DAC1 opinions but found that I really enjoyed the sound quality when pairing this amp/dac with my HE-560s.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #409 of 1,283

How do you like the sound quality of your HE-500s when driven by the HD-DAC1? I haven't found too many HFM / HD-DAC1 opinions but found that I really enjoyed the sound quality when pairing this amp/dac with my HE-560s.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-proving-to-be-an-enjoyable-experience-in-listening/15600#post_11363647

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #413 of 1,283
Some people are so helpful.....I have read most of this thread if not all of it and don't recall seeing much of anything comparing the two. Thanks for your candor though it is much appreciated.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #414 of 1,283
Some people are so helpful.....I have read most of this thread if not all of it and don't recall seeing much of anything comparing the two. Thanks for your candor though it is much appreciated.

I never understood the search-shaming thing either, I just chalk it up to certain individuals having little patience. Anyway, I found this post from back in January where one Oppo owner provides his comparison opinions in reply to another's (2 for 1):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730055/marantz-hd-dac1/150#post_11232179

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #416 of 1,283
I have the Beyerdynamic T90 and am trying to decide between the Marantz and Fostex HP-A8.  I read this post, but am unsure as to how the differences would apply to the T90.  I don't find the T90 to be too bright, but wonder if the Marantz would make them so.  I prefer the Fostex's aesthetics, but the Maranz is cheaper and I can't try out either unit.  I don't care about DSD or HD Tracks since the majority of the music I listen to is not available in these formats.  Both devices have dual optical inputs which I want for my consoles, and are fairly priced in Canada (950$ for both vs 1700$ for the Oppo HP-A1) compared to most other HI-FI devices which are either vastly overpriced or become so when imported. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #417 of 1,283
Has anybody got the HD-DAC1 working via optical out from a computer sound card?

I just connected my new HD-DAC1 to the PC and was settings things up. The USB input on the DAC is working but when I enable either OPT 1 or OPT 2 the Marantz port hole display says 'unsupported'. I have an optical cable running from the output on my sound card to input 1 (also tried input 2) on the Marantz DAC but it says unsupported!

I have the Titanium HD sound card.

Edit: I have it working now. Just needed to enable SPDIF Out and set it as the default device in windows.

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #419 of 1,283
I have had my HD-DAC1 for a couple of weeks and am really enjoying it.  Quite an upgrade from my ASUS Xonar Essence STX II!  My Sennheiser HD 700 cans will be delivered tomorrow, so I should really see what this unit is capable of.  The rest of the time I am driving a set of BlueSky Audio powered monitors via the fixed output and it sounds amazing!

Quick question - I have a couple hundred left on an Amazon gift certificate and was toying around with the idea of ordering an upgraded power cord.  Does anyone have any suggestions in that range?  If you have replaced the power cord on your DAC before, is it something you would recommend to others?

Thanks to all of you who make this thread so enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back